main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Casual dissing of the PT in mainstream coverage of Ep VII

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pensivia, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    CoolyFett: do not be deceived by registration dates. Some of us have been here longer than you think (or care to admit :p) I know I have anyway.
    It also doesn't matter when they registered, it doesn't mean they are any less informed than those with older registration dates.

Also don't let the new movies get you down, go and see them and judge them by your own standards, not of the standards of fans or critics.

2. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I've stated my concerns about the ST earlier in this thread. To me it isn't about ignoring pt fans over OT fans or vice versa. To me it's the negativity for the PT that has been bred on the Internet, then gets passed along as fact by main stream media that worries me as I fear it influences the story of the ST. I fear we are going to get a catering to the OT rather than just letting the story be the story. I fear we have already seen it in the trailer that we still have stormtrooperrs and tie fighters after 30 years when the ending of ROTJ showed us that the empire was collapsing. I know, I know, people are already starting to make the excuses for the change in the narrative set by the ending of ROTJ, but, that's just it! If you're having to find reasons for why the narrative has changed, then it feels like the empire is back for no other reason then to make people happy and not because the story dictated it.

3. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Perhaps the story did dictate that the Empire came back. I imagine something that important to the plot was a major part of Lucas's treatments.

I too am nervous about the obvious pandering to the OT purists, but I wouldn't concede to the scenario just because we're seeing the Empire back. Perhaps Lucas wanted to create a Cold War-esque scenario between a stronger Alliance and a weaker Empire, thus making the sides "evenly matched". I don't know, but from what we've seen just from the trailer, it looks like we're getting a film that looks almost nothing like either trilogy, and is using more elements of the OT just because it is the most recent chronologically.

4. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I think you're right and I think the perfect example of this is actually Rebels. I think there is clearly a push by Disney to revert back to the style and tone of the OT and that they see this as the way to success by essentially giving the fans what they want (or think they want).

Now, I am not huge fan of the PT. There are some bits I like, but overall I felt they were a let down. However, they are part of the story now, like it or loathe it. When I sit down to watch Rebels it somewhat irks me that there is almost nothing of the prequel trilogy in there. We've had, what? A reference to a PT character and Order 66, and that's about it I think. That doesn't make sense to me. The aesthetic would surely mold and change over the years, not immediately change to look like the OT era. Plus, have you noticed how there are pretty much never any prequel era background aliens in Rebels? They're always aliens like Rodians, Ithorians, Niktos and so on. Hell, even SWTOR manages to have a mix of prequel and OT aliens in it's storyline. So why doesn't Rebels? Plus, have you noticed how the general marketing drive for SW now is all OT based? Have a look at the key art just released for the Star Wars Celebration. There is literally no hint of PT stuff in there, as if the PT just doesn't exist. So I don't think it's a stretch to assume that this us the inevitable direction of Episode VII.

I think fan or hater alike, most people would recognise that the PT doesn't flow seamlessly into the OT. That it very much feels stylistically different and it's only really the very end of ROTS that starts to feel like the OT. With that already the case, I am worried that the shift to an almost entirely OT aesthetic, to the point of virtually ignoring the prequels, can only serve to further orphan them as not feeling part of the saga, irrespective if whether or not they are deemed canon.

Sab Jo and Big_Benn_Klingon like this.
  5. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    However, Lucas is quoted as having said that he needed to wrap up the story in ROTJ because it was the end of the story. This was from the Making of Return Of The Jedi (Rinzler). I don't have the exact quote, and don't really feel up to tracking it down right now.

Even if you don't want to take my word for it, the vast majority of people would all agree that as of the end of ROTJ, and up to 3 years ago, the Empire was pretty much done. Lucas even went back and added scenes to drive the point home that the galaxy was celebrating and in open revolt.

Can Lucas change his mind? Obviously he can, however, my questions and fears still stand. Did he change his mind because it was the story he wanted to tell, or did he change his mind because he felt so beat up over the PT? Lucas, Abhrams, Kasdan, none of them are immune to the negativity of the internet and the perceptions it creates.

Andy Wylde and Sab Jo like this.
  6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

True. But at this point, I'm just thinking...

"We'll always have Paris."

Andy Wylde and mikeximus like this.
  7. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

So many different ways to go with that one....

Andy Wylde and Cryogenic like this.
  8. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Oh my goodness.. stay clear of the comment sections of any articles regarding the recent the USA Today Lucas interview. Wow the vile stuff some ppl are comfortable writing still never ceases to amaze me. That said, most of the articles themselves (that i have seen) have been fairly respectful and professional.

Andy Wylde and Sab Jo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.