main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Casualty rates if the Vong had to be driven from the galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay I hope this isn't a what if thread if it falls under such critieria a mod can feel free to close it.

Posit a scenario where the GA wins at Yuuzhantar but Alpha Red was never invented and the GA has to fight a conventional war all the way back to the rubble of Sernpidal.

What would the casualties and overall costs be like? Could the GA win a conventional war to retake half the Galaxy?

Thoughts?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Through the roof - physically, financially, politically and morally.

It would end with all the Vong dead, having fought to the death. What would be left of the galaxy would be numerous corpse worlds and those that managed to avoid the Vong onslaught.

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Things would be hundred times worse in the LOTF and FOTJ eras. Many characters would be dead, devastated worlds would be separated by the non-devastated ones. Chaos and division that even by Legacy era that divide would still be there.

Despite how the Vong War ended in TUF, it was way better than the alternative.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah it would have awful.

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    How is this NOT a what-if thread?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It's a war gaming/consequences thread.

7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe some shamed ones would still defect to the GA. Maybe because of Nom Anor or another people who use their discontent for their own. I think they would be allowed to stay.

8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    If the Alliance or the Remnant managed to create another Galaxy Gun, then the war could be won with half the casulties; Probably less. I've heard theories that the Starkiller Base was used to defeat the Vong in the disneyverse. If the Empire of the Hand could build an anti-Vong superweapon, I'm sure the mainstream Empire could manage.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There could have been one benefit: Daala being killed.

Nobody145 and Noash_Retrac like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And didn't Baron Fel say that there were sleeper cells out there if Bastion fell?

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder how decimated the NJO would be at the end of it. There were only around 400 Jedi at the time and I can't imagine the casualties of the Jedi are leading the charge.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It was 100 Jedi before the war and like 50 after the war.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

Whoa really? It's been a long time since I've read the NJO. I thought there were more than 100.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Or maybe it was two hundred I don't recall

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty sure 100 and then cut to 50.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I half to imagine more of the sky-solo clan would have perished in my little scenario.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    This could have happened in real life if the US didn't drop the Atomic bombs on Japan and if they didn't surrender. Very interesting scenario either way.

Most likely. Shelter could have been attacked as well.
    Kids even younger than Jaina, Jacen and Anakin would have had to fight possibly.
    Peace would have been impractical.

18. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I forget which book it was that said the casualty count for the war as it was was 365 trillion.

Now, that would already have included most of the civilian casualties likely to have occurred in the invasion corridor so numerically the casualty count would probably be less than double.

The question though is....exactly how long would a conventional war have taken? Even if we assume that the Hutts began re-arming (which apparently they were doing), the Chiss threw in with the GA, and the remaining sectors threw themselves behind it, that's a long war, and not an easy one. Each planet has to be taken against a force that will literally fight to the death. And who knows what the shapers would have come up with to destroy planets rather than let them be retaken (Ithor anyone?).

Realistically, even if the Vong were eventually driven back, basically every occupied planet in the invasion corner would become a dead or uninhabitable husk, the galaxy would have lost most of its young population to the war as soldiers, casualties of war, etc. and the economy would be in shambles.

While the GA could win, it would likely take at least twice as long as the original invasion. Maybe more. So we're looking at a 12-15 year war on a galactic scale, in excess of 500 trillion dead (on one side), and a third of the geographic galaxy being essentially uninhabitable.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Somehow I think Nas Choka(if he were in command) would have a few more plans up his sleeve if I were him I would retreat fortify, send out agents to stir up trouble, pull fleets and material back from the other campaigns and use all terra formed planets for the production of every possible resource the gods allow. Come to think of it he might be able to fight the GA to a stalemate.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope that they bring in the other Force groups.
    There are several satellite galaxies to fight in as well.
    Unknown Regions!

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We don't know anything much about the satellite galaxies beyond Companion Besh just that their are five more. The Unknown Regions as I understand it was already well under Chiss influence.

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Two benefits. The future Darth Caedus would also likely die.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think Jacen would make it.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I would hope not.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Okay opinion difference here I'm a jacen fan your not it seems.