main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Catching Aliens one at a time. TORCHWOOD. (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Juliet316, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    This is a thread to talk about TORCHWOOD, the absolutely brilliant, stand on it's own spinoff from Doctor Who. We can talk about all aspects of the series from the characters to the cast.

This series seems vastly different from Doctor Who. It gives off a X - Files vibe with the unresolved Sexual tension to the nth degree.

The current episode is brilliant. One of the highlights was Gwen learning how to shoot firearms, another was getting a glimpse at who Owen is.

This is turning out to be a very complex, addicting series.

2. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Has this series been shown yet in the U.S.? I've heard that it has gotten decent reception by fans across the Pond, but I haven't seen where it is being shown here.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If you have access to BBC America here, it's on that cable channel.

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    How are the American sensors coping? Are they totally butchering it?
    If you can't say the f woid on American TV, is Owen still *in* the series? That man cannae last 10 seconds without swearing.

Personally I found Torchwood rather disappointing. A great idea, but far too many cheesy lines. From what we hear Series 2 is going to sort out a lot of the teething problems the show had.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I haven't seen any F bombs yet, but in the last episode I saw Owen was drinking what I think was whiskey and Jack was teaching Gwen how to fire guns which surprised me, given American sensitivity to gunplay following Virginia Tech. Maybe it's because it's on BBCAmerica and not the Sci - Fi channel.

It's also a lot more racier than Americanized Sci - Fi fare.

6. Bedevilled_Barbie

Bedevilled_Barbie Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2007
    I've watched a couple episodes on online. I do wish I could see more because from what I saw, I enjoyed it.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    All I can say is check to see if you have BBC America on your cable system or satillite dish system because it really is an amazing show.

8. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    this is like one of my favorite shows at the moment, the australian run has finished here. but i dont think ratings for the show were good here, not because of the show itself but because channel 10 played it at midnight and not many people watched it. i think i may have been the only one:p. i can't wait till season 2 comes out next year. doctor who and torchwood merge really well, espcially at the end of the season final when jack jumps onto the tardis and then it cross over to "utopia". brillaint stuff

9. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    This is an awesome show and i'm looking foreward to season 2.

10. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Psh, I downloaded the whole first series ages ago...fantastic show, has the sly humor of Doctor Who with a darker X-Files edge. I just wish the SFX could have been better...like in Primeval (another great UK series I've managed to catch through alternative methods). I just wish they'd tone down the sexuality aspect. I commend the series for having the main character be a bisexual, but damn, they totally flaunt it and by the end of the series it seemed like every main character had had a homosexual encounter. I'm not a prude, but it comes off like, 'Oooh, look at us, we're so hip and cutting edge and daring.' Argh. Good show nonetheless.

11. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Asolutely. I'm not homophobic at all. But having every one of the cast members having at least one gay kiss by the end of the first series is a bit too far. I'd prefer they limit it to Jack and Ianto as it's part of their characters but for Gwen, Owen and Tosh as you said it really does seem like "We're not Doctor Who, look at what we can do because it's after 9pm!"

JB has said a lot of the "teething problems" would be addressed in series 2, including less swearing (especially the 3 Martha episodes, as children are more likely to be watching them).

Oh, and for the record Jack is "omnisexual", not bi :)

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The funny thing about Torchwood was that, to me, it felt like a children's TV show with swearing and sex.

It was really quite bizarre.

13. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Yeah, I'd agree with that too. It was overkill to have every single member of Torchwood having a gay encounter of some sort. One or two of them, fine, but all of them? Not needed. Same with all the swearing too, it felt a bit like they chucked it all in just because they could. But apart from all that, it was pretty good I thought.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Interesting last few episodes, I'd say.

15. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I thought TORCHWOOD was ok.

My first thought on it when they swore in the first episode was "well, this definately isn't Dr. Who".

The show had its moments, but I prefer the Captain Jack character when he's in Dr. Who than here.

16. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Agreed. And quite frankly, I find the fact that Doctor Who has on several occasions had homosexual relationships and not felt the need to keep showing it off much more impressive and cutting edge.

17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    And so the first episode of series 2 has apparently been given a title: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Also in interesting news it appears that a decision has been made to make a more 'family friendly' edit of each episode to be viewed in a 'pre-watershed' timeslot...

18. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    A pre-watershed Torchwood. How long will that be I wonder, 30 minutes?

Owen won't even have any lines!

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally got around to finishing Season 1 (though obviously suspected how it would end/dovetail with DW S3's last few episodes). Pretty good. TW can vary wildly- it can start things off cheesy or gratiuitously, yet still spin things into a good story in the end.

20. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

thoughts anyone? I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but so far so good. I am thinking this season will be a vast improvement on the last!

James Masters is awesome!
    [image=http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/James%20Masters%20Torchwood%20Buffy.jpg]

21. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Loved it, vast improvement over Series 1 and I look forward to seeing Captain John again. I liked to see everyone working more as a team, we even got a "thanl you" and "no problem" between Gwen and Owen.

One more thing..."Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" - excellent.

22. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    'Excuse me.... Have you seen a blowfish driving a sports car' - best opening line ever.

'Bloody Torchwood' - I love the fact that they are the most non-secret secret agency.

'Tourist Entrance' - Fnarr, fnarr.

'You were the wife' 'No you were the wife'

'It's more fun with him around'

And of course the Obi Wan Kenobi line, complete with little glance to the right.

Wonderful writing, had me in giggles all the way through. One of the things I liked about the previous series which, if episode 1 is anything to go by will become more prevelant this series, is the fact that it's very silly. Despite the swearing, sex and gore, there has always been an undercurrent of almost childlike humour running through it.

23. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I'm greatly enjoying this show. It really has a life of it's own and could stand independently without the Doctor Who connection.

24. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Whilest the sexual references came on thick and fast for new episode, It seems strange but I think it benefited from a large reduction in the amount of swearing compared to the first series.

I am most looking forward to the Martha episodes, should be good fun!

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello fellow Torchwood fans! *waves*

I agree with Obi Wan Bergkamp about the best opening line ever!! [face_laugh] I'm glad there wasn't much said after that or I wouldn't have heard it... I was laughing to hard!

I'm greatly enjoying this show. It really has a life of it's own and could stand independently without the Doctor Who connection.
    I think it does! I hadn't watched any Doctor Who when I started watching Torchwood, last season. I've since remedied that, but I didn't feel lost at all before that. I think you just miss some small things that you wouldn't even notice.

As for this weeks episode, Sleeper, I loved it!!

I thought Ianto was really witty, which was great! I think Jack asking him out did him a world of good! :D Or maybe that is just me being a Jack/Ianto shipper! :) "

"Mobiles, landlines, tin cans with bits of string. Everything, absolutely everything. No phones, phones all broken." [face_laugh]

"I know everything, and it says so at the bottom of the screen."

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse."

Ok, I'll stop before I quote the entire episode!!

Edit: In Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Capt. John mentioned finding a Grey to Jack. Anyone know who that is? Is this something from Doctor Who that I haven't seen yet, or is it something that will hopefully come back up?! Thoughts? Speculation?