main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Catching Aliens one at a time. TORCHWOOD. (Spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Juliet316 , Sep 25, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, these last 3 or 4 episodes really kicked things into gear and made for some awesome TV, IMO. Great little twist ending too.

I think, though, that it makes it more obvious that this was originally meant to be a 5 or 6 part story that got stretched out to 10 episodes.

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Definitely T2Q, really enjoying this now that it has started but it did take a good while to get going.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the first few episodes were fine since it was dealing with the realization of unanticipated consequences, and the middle had the concentration camps arc, it treaded water between those and between the camps and Blessing- that episode with Ernie Hudson was just absolute, pure filler.

4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I just started watching this, it's quite good so far. :)

Evil.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The series as a whole or Miracle Day in particular?

6. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    The whole series. I'm about to start on episode 11.

Evil.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, well, IMO, it gets much better. Season 1 was the weakest, so if you liked S1, it's all uphill from there :).

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    No, sorry, but season 3/Children of Earth was the weakest. Just awful beyond the telling of it.
    Unless you like all hammer-through-the-skull emotion-over-logic.

9. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Personally, I think season one is better than season 2 right now. But I'm only five episodes into season 2.

Evil.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, if you are really bored, I put up my two cents on the first two seasons, episode by episode.
    Not as good as 2nd Quest's trek reviews, but there. And finished, so you don't have to wait.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Children of Earth seems to be generally the most well-regarded installment of the series, though Miracle Day had some misfires and was padded out way too much. So, I suppose I was wrong- it's "mostly" all up hill from S1- though nothing is universal in appeal, as Koohii points out.

I felt S2 was an improvement over S1, though. S1 was wildly uneven in quality to me. They were trying to make themselves a mature X-Files clone of sorts, but they handled the sex facets in very simplistic, juvenile ways that seemed more arbitrary/obligatory instead of being an advancement of the relationships.

That and you had really stupid stuff like the Cyberwoman too.

The second season I think found a better tonal balance as well as gave the characters more depth and purpose.