main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Caustic Comfort - (Vader - angst), A simple gesture, so many meanings

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VA_Parky, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Title: Caustic Comfort
    Author: VA_Parky
    Characters: Vader, (Flashbacks: Obi-wan, Padme, Shmi)
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: The true meaning of a gesture can only be found in the heart of the person behind it. One-shot.
    Author?s Note: FYI - the segments in italics are Vader?s thoughts/memories. Please read and review if you have a moment! I will be forever grateful!

Hatred.

Vader allowed it to course through his veins. Or was that fire? No matter, the feeling was the same - red hot and destructive. The lava was almost beautiful in a way, the pattern it made as it ran in rivulets and swirls, filling every crevice it could reach. Like him, it left a trail of death and damage in its wake.

My true brother.

He had seen enough battle to realize he must be delirious in some form - for he was nearly certain he had pulled himself out of the river of molten liquid, yet he still burned as if it blanketed every inch of his body.

Perhaps it will never stop. Perhaps this is the feeling of Power.

Perhaps this is the inescapable price of the Dark Side; the penalty I will pay for the rest of my life.

The small part of him that was still Anakin Skywalker couldn't quite suppress the shudder that passed through him at he sensed his new Master?s approach. His scorched eyes rolled wildly as he watched Sidious bring a hand to his brow, the hollow gesture of affection causing words of outrage to well in his throat.

Don't touch me! Leave me! Let me die!

But his lungs couldn't expel the words and as the hand made contact with the charred skin of his face, his soul screamed in denial as it was flooded with a deluge of pain and suffering he had never known.

It was the searing grip of despair, the unrelenting grip of the Dark Side.

The gloved hand shifted on his brow, reminding him of a time when such a gesture would have been welcome...

He was five years old, sick in bed with a devastating virus. His small body shivered uncontrollably with chills and he burrowed into the threadbare covers defensively. He peeled his eyes open as he sensed a loving presence enter the room. Gratitude flowed through his heart as he watched his mother hurry towards him.

"Oh Ani," she whispered. "I'm so sorry you're feeling sick. But I've made you some healing soup and the medical droid assures me it will have you feeling better in no time."

Ever patient, she sat with him while he slowly worked his way through the warm broth and her eyes sparkled with relief as he drained the last drop.

Comfortably drowsy, he slumped into the lumpy pillow and sighed as he felt a cool hand rest on his brow soothingly. Closing his eyes, he sank into the first peaceful sleep he had enjoyed in days.

His eyes flew open and he retched, the contrast between his mother's loving touch and the monster looming over him blazing forth in his heart.

He tried desperately to pull away, but even his body was betraying him and he was forced to remain motionless. Sidious once again shifted his touch, and Vader cried out, his world narrowing to a singular shaft of pain. Seeking escape, his mind went to the only safe place it had left?

The past.

His ears still rang from the reprimand Master Yoda had given him. His face flushed in humiliation as he remembered the stern words that lodged in his mind.

"13 years old you are," he growled. "Too old for such childish pranks. Act in such a way, Jedi do not! Wait here for your Master, you will. A bit of meditation, I suggest."

And so Anakin leaned against the pillar, his stomach churning nervously as he imagined the disappointment he would surely see in Obi-wan's face. He knew his Master was only training him because of the dying wishes of Qui-Gon. The knowledge still stung him terribly and he knew today's incident would only further damage their rocky relationship. His mouth formed a silent wish, and he prayed the Force might take pity on him.

As it usually did, the Force ignored him.

He heard th

2. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    very nice.

detail was rich and you get right into his mind. You're on a roll with these viggies as of late, do you plan on working on a novel type story anytime soon?

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I love it any time someone crawls inside that helmet and gives me a good look! Bravo! =D=

4. VA_Parky

Aug 10, 2005
    darksideyesplease - I do have a trilogy in the works(2 parts finished) but it is the exact opposite of the vignettes I've been posting here. It's actually humor! Can you believe it? Anyway, I think I'll post it soon - it's always nice to do something light. :) Thanks for asking!

VaderLVR64 - yes, climbing into the helmet is fun, isn't it? Thanks for the review!!!

5. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Oh! This was simply superb! You really have a talent for getting inside his head, did you know that? :) And just the contrast between how it had been and how it was... ouch. Wonderful, wonderful job. Your writing style flows well, it really does.

6. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Gorgeous!! I love the contrast of the different touches, and the flashbacks were really well done. Loved it :)

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was wonderful.

I really liked how Anakin/Vader reflected on the differences between the touches of his new Master, Obi-Wan and Padme.

So heartbreaking...:_| :_| :_|

But it was a path he chose...

Bravo!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

8. VA_Parky

Aug 10, 2005
    Siaynoqsbride - Thanks for the sweet review! I am so touched by your comment on my writing style. Coming from you, that is quite an honor since your stories are some of the most amazing I've ever read!

Wendynat - I'm so happy you liked the flashbacks - I think Anakin's memories would be the one thing that would always haunt Vader, so I'm glad you liked that touch!

Kelia - Aw, thanks!! Yeah, what makes it so tough is the fact that everything went bad because of his CHOICES - can you imagine living with that? Horrible! So glad you dropped in!

9. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh, that was excellent! =D= =D=

10. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Wonderful job! This was full of great lines and images, but you had me hooked from the start:

Vader allowed it to course through his veins. Or was that fire? No matter, the feeling was the same - and destructive. The lava was almost beautiful in a way, the pattern it made as it ran in rivulets and swirls, filling every crevice it could reach. Like him, it left a trail of death and damage in its wake.

11. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    Awesome work!!!! Absolutely fantastic.

The lava was almost beautiful in a way, the pattern it made as it ran in rivulets and swirls, filling every crevice it could reach. Like him, it left a trail of death and damage in its wake.

Simply beautiful. I also like how he could not distinguish the burning from the Dark Side.

He knew his Master was only training him because of the dying wishes of Qui-Gon.

What a stinging thought! But oh so true.

"My young friend, believe it or not - I understand."

Perfect example of Obi-Wan's wisdom and kindness.

I can't say good job enough, but...good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.