Mary CCFF Website

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Luke_Starkiller, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Lolipon, the icons with the MD flag in the rebel insignia were made by me.
  2. BigBroadcastah Jedi Knight

star 1
    You make me proud Skittlez
  3. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey everyone, I was thinking. Let's get serious with the webpage. We can buy a domain for $8.95 and get hosting for $7.95 a month, or $10.95, or $14.95. I can go into details of what each price offers. But think about it. $8.95 - $14.95 is not a lot a month by itself. But what if all of us put in a few bucks? That's even better! There's a good amount of us who post here. How many people post in CCFF? We could calculate how much each person puts in.

So, to the point, let's think of some domain names:

ccff.com is not available. But, ccff.net is. I like the idea of using something like fanforcemd.com or mdfanforce.com. We could get mdsw.net or .org. Or swmaryland.com. How about we list some ideas and we can decide.
  4. Motterman Force Ghost

star 2
    We could handle the costs by having dues or something.... It would only be like $5.00 a year per member or something to cover it, right?
  5. Luke_Starkiller Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't go crazy with the domain names yet, IMHO. We are just getting started. If we throw in dues (even relatively inexpensive ones), we may chase potential members away. I agree that a hosted domain would be great, but better once we become established a bit more, like 6 months or even a year from now. Keep in mind, if we charge dues, there may be other things we need to look into (like tax exemtion forms and such). There is so much available for free right now.

If the 12 Mb that Geocities or Freeservers offers isn't enough, I can get us 25Mb through my Comcast connection. I am only using a couple of the e-mail addresses, so I could easily designate one for the CCFF.

Again, this is just where my thought process is going here. If the majority of the group thinks we should look into dues, I'll certainly be there with you. I just wanted to point out that there are potential hurdles.

EDIT: The only reason I know about the tax thing is that I worked with a synagogue in CT to start a Youth Group. They had to apply for tax exemption (non-profit) because dues were charged and it could be seen as them running a for-profit business without license.

Also, Isbeth, I will put that link up today. I think I'll be able to go directly to the planetarium, but will know for sure in a bit.
  6. DRK_HLMT Force Ghost

star 4
    I also have 25Mb webspace on Comcast to use if we need to add more stuff to the site. We could have the main page on the geocities and add things like pics and other stuff to the Comcast webspace connecting them together should give us more than enough space.

I agree that when we decide to get our own domain, we should have more members and be a little more established. That way the dues, if we decide to go that route, will be very, very cheap. Also we could use the dues to create a bank account and set up an official treasurer so that we could maybe sponsor events and such. Just a thought. We could bring that up at the next meeting.
  7. Luke_Starkiller Jedi Master

star 4
    You're right, HLMT. Linking the sites would be easy. Freeservers is the tough one because visitors have to be on the page X number of seconds before linking off. Doesn't seem like a long time, but if you are headed somewhere specific, it is an eternity. I know geocities and Comcast don't have that issue, so a couple of comcast accounts (one from me and one from HLMT), and a geocites account is 62Mb of web space. I have friends who design sites that know of a couple more places for free space.
  8. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Luke, I hate to be a b**** about this, but surrounding is misspelled in the CCFF information part. You know, it is the school teacher in me. :)
  9. DRK_HLMT Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, Isbeth is now taking on a two-hatted role. She is our official Hospitality person AND our new official Spell-Checker! [face_laugh] :eek:

:::runs away:::
  10. Luke_Starkiller Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, Isbeth. Don't know how I missed that one! It's been fixed, as has the SW Today News. I also added you link, creating an entire links page.

If anyone has suggestions on color scheme or layout, please feel free to chime in!
  11. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you, Luke! :) DRK_HMT, would you rather have me spell check or Chissdude?
  12. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I think there were some good points brought up with the whole tax thing, I didn't think about that. I think combining the accounts for more space is a great idea.

Hey Luke, can you support cgi scripts on geocities or the Comcast account? I wanna set up a poll to use instead of using some other site.
  13. Luke_Starkiller Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty sure that I can. I know that guest books and counters are normally CGI script, and they are supported. If you have the script, I'd be happy to paste it in and see if we can make it work.
  14. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Could you PM the details of the account to me so I can try to get the script to work?
  15. Luke_Starkiller Jedi Master

star 4
    I found the answer:

Check out this page often for current information about system changes and upgrades.
    Below you will find the current list of supported file types. We will add to this list periodically as new file types become more common across the Web.

For security reasons, we will not be supporting CGI scripts or .EXE files

It looks like we may have to wait for the comcast site for the cgi scripts as I know Freeservers doesn't support them, either. If the site you started does, build the poll there, and we can put other news/entertainment on that page and link to it off of the main page.
  16. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Luke, I'll find out if I can get the script to work on my page.

EDIT: Nope, cgi scripts are not supported on the site.
  17. Luke_Starkiller Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool. PM me a link when you are set.

EDIT: A lot of places won't because of the inherent virus possibility thing. Sucks for us honest developers.
  18. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I just wanted to say that I updated my webpage with all the great info Luke had.
  19. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
  20. BigBroadcastah Jedi Knight

star 1
    You make me proud, sniff sniff.
  21. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks. :)

Also, another domain name possibility is mdforce.net or marylandforce.com. Just for future reference or whatever.
  22. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    If you guys are serious about a website then check out the fanForce Pittsburgh webhost 34sp. It's only about 17.00 a year, yes I said a year and they are awesome.

www.34sp.com
  23. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey thanks Rox, I'll have to check this out.
  24. Lolipon Jedi Knight

star 3
    Mogook: I fixed the page to give you credit. :) I got the pics from the other two threads & it was a little confusing as to who made what.
    BTW, the page you made looks great!!!
  25. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, thanks Lolipon!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.