[CCG] - Decks

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by LakSivrak, Dec 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LakSivrak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I thought that this would be a cool thread where we could critique each others cecks, and maybe make them better. So rag on me, tell me how much my deck sucks so itll get better.

I haven't *seriously* played for a few years now, since all my opponents got rid of their cards. i am teaching my cousin how, but he has to use my deck, which makes deck making a pain, since you konw what youll be fighting and tend to get too specialized. you can see that in a few of my odd card choices. Id like to add that ive never bought a card at a card shop, ive pulled all of my cards from packs, and gotten an odd set. my light side cards suck.

~~Dark Side~~
    Characters -
    Lt. Shann Childsen
    Captain Lennox
    Captain Yorr
    Major Miranda
    Lieutenant Cabbel
    Lieutenant Venka
    Grand Moff Tarkin
    DS-61-2
    Imperial Helmsman
    Comm Chief (x2)
    AT-AT Driver (x2)
    Bossk
    Danz Borin
    Jabba the Hutt
    Djas Puhr
    Gamorrean Guard
    Ortugg
    Weequay Marksman
    Weequay Hunter
    Weequay Guard
    Weequay Skiff Master
    Rodian (x2)
    FX-10
    IG-88

Ships/Vehicles -
    Tyrant
    Accuser
    Conquest
    Victory Class SD
    Saber 3
    TIE Int.
    Scythe 1
    Blizzard Walker (x2)

Weapons/Devices -
    Bossk's Mortar Gun
    AT-AT Cannon
    SFS TIE Cannon (x2)
    Heavy Turbolaser Battery (x2)
    Deflector Shield Generators

Effects -
    Reactor Terminal
    Something Special Planned For Them
    Image of the Dark Lord
    Flagship

Interrupts -
    Evacuate?
    The Empire's Back
    Dark Strike
    Uncertain Is The Future

Site Locations -
    Tatooine
    - Docking Bay
    - Mos Eisley
    - Lars' Moisture Farm
    - Great Pit of Carkoon
    - Cantina

Planet Locations -
    Tatooine
    Kessel
    Big One

~~Light Side~~
    Characters -
    Son of Skywalker
    General Calrissian
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Lieutenant s'Too Vees
    BoShek
    Figrin D'an
    Elom
    H'menthe (x2)
    R2-D2
    FX-7
    WED-1016 'Techie' Droid

Ships/Vehicles -
    Nebulon-B Frigate
    Corellian Corvette
    Red Leader in Red 1
    Gold Leader in Gold 1
    A-Wing
    B-Wing Bomber
    X-Wing (x2)
    Skiff

Weapons/Devices -
    Jedi Lightsaber
    Heavy Turbolaser Battery
    Quad Laser Cannon
    Concussion Missiles
    Enhanced Proton Torpedoes
    Proton Torpedoes (x2)

Effects -
    Rycar's Run
    Mantellian Savrip
    The Time for Our Attack Has Come
    Special Modifications
    Crash Site Memorial
    Kessel Run
    Plastoid Armor
    Traffic Control
    Weather Vane (x2)

Interrupts -
    Houjix
    It Could Be Worse
    Luke's Back
    Dark Approach
    Return of a Jedi
    Recoil in Fear
    Hear Me Baby, Hold Together (x2)
    Collision (x2)

Site Locations -
    Cloud City -
    - Platform 327
    - Chasm Walkway
    - Incinerator
    - Upper Plaza Corridor
    Bespin: Cloud City

Planet Locations -
    Asteroid Field (x3)
    Big One
    Bespin
    Kessel
  2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Both of those decks look horrible, but if that's all you have, you probably can't do much about it.
  3. NissoJape Jedi Youngling

star 1
    way to make him feel good.
  4. BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Both of those decks look horrible, but if that's all you have, you probably can't do much about it.

way to make him feel good.

Well, I don't think either of those comments were entirely helpful. Bib, yeah his decks aren't anything you'd want to bring to a tournament, but to call them horrible is just downright rude.

And NissoJape, Our purpose here is not to "make people feel good" It's to share information, and talk about the game. And while Bib's post wasn't particularly helpful, You didn't feel the need to give any suggestions to LakSivrak, you just decided to say how bad he should feel because of Bib's post.

But hey, no hard feelings guys. right? ;)

Well, I couldn't just say all that and not say anything about your decks, could I? so I'll just critique your LS deck, and save the DS for somebody else/later.

Okay. I know this will sound like I'm contradicting myself, but I have to agree with Bib. These decks aren't going to win any tournaments. I'll go out on a limb, and say you've never been to one. I'll also guess that you're young, poor, and your card pool is quite low. correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

I'll just suggest some basics:

No weapons. Most of them can't be used effectively enough to warrant a card slot in your deck. There are exceptions (Unique Lightsabers, and some newer non-Lightsaber ones)

Don't rely on obscure effects and strategies (In this case, Rycars run) unless you're prepared to devote much more of your deck to it. So drop it, and the asteroids.

Just so I can keep this short (too late), I'll only say one more thing. If you don't already know about Starting interrupts and objectives, find out about them. Don't hesitate to ask us here. We want to help.

I know I said I'd only put one more, but I'll just say this one thing. If you decide that you'd like to try to become a better player, and more than that, a competitive player, check out decktech.net. It's an invaluable source for decks, strategies, articles, etc.

Dang, I didn't mean to write a book for you. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post them (preferably in an existing thread).
  5. LakSivrak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    thanks guys, thats exactly the help i was looking for. im actually 22, but i havent played in awhile. and i thought i had qhite a few cards, ive just never bought single cards, always in the packs. my biggest problem (i read a faq on here and came to this conclusion, its probably way off) is that i started when the game started, meaning i bought the original starter set when thats all there was, and bought cards as the sets came out. . .until everyone around me lost interest. i just found out about tournaments near me though, and was hoping to start up again. im gonna check that site out right now, and see if i have any cards that i can do anything with. thanks again, i obviously need all the help i can get. :p
  6. BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Actually, If you have enough money, you should look into buying boxes. Now that the game is (quote-unquote) dead, you can pick them up for pretty cheap. With a box you get 36 (sometimes 30) packs of cards, which is a better deal than just buying packs. You should probably build up your collection.

And it may seem like you have a lot of cards, but how many of them are rare? If you don't know, then check them on decipher's website decipher.com. click on star wars, and card lists. they're listed by set.
  7. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ur deck has a few good cards but u have nothing to support them and keep em alive, they just go out there and get concentrated fire til they die.

Also i got my Dark deck up to what i think is pretty good, please evaluate it for me.

NOTE: the objective of this deck is to aim for carbon freezing, its a deadly card and invulves a lot of force loss

Chars:
    Darth Vader with Lightsaber
    Boba fett (Cloud City vers)
    Commander Cherant
    Corporal Derdram
    Corporal Drazin
    Sergeant Tarl
    DS-72-7
    Imperial Pilot
    Imperial Trooper guard (x4)
    Ugloste
    Ugnaught (x4) (Ull see why later)
    Gamorrean Guard (x4)

Vehicles n ships:
    Blizzard 2
    Tempest Scout
    Skiff
    Imperial Class Star Destroyer(x2)
    Black 4
    Obsidian 7

Weapons n Devices
    Antipersonal Laser Cannon
    Thermal Detonator
    Blaster rifle (x3)
    Imperial Blaster (x2)
    Gamorrean Axe
    Enh TiE cannon
    Carbonite Chamber Console

Effects n Interrupts
    Carbon Freezing (why i got ugnaughts)
    Weather Vane
    Vaders Cape
    Reactor Terminal
    Monnok
    Rite of passage
    The Empires back
    Precise attack

Sites n Planets
    Clouds
    Bespin:Cloud city
    CC east platform
    CC carbonite chamber
    CC chasm walkway
    cc incinerator
    Tatooine
    Tat docking bay 94
    tat Mos eisley
    tat jawa camp
    tat jundland wastes
    tat desert
    tat great pit of carkoon
    tat jabbas palace
  8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    You have way too many locations. Cut it down to no more than 6-7 of them. You don't want to be drawing all of those zeroes for battle destiny.
  9. MoronDude Jedi Knight

star 6
    Okay, Lemmie give you a Moron's perspective. (Don't worry, Bib'll probably come back to give you better advice)

First off, WAY TOO MANY LOCATIONS! Why do you have Tatooine locations anyway? If there is a specific reason, please inform me. I would say to drop all the Tatooine locations, add Bespin sector and maybe another cloud sector. That'll be 8 locations, which is really all you need. You got Weather Vane, which is a must for all my Cloud City decks. You may want to add We Have a Prisoner to keep any LS character you really want to freeze under guard for awhile. I'm not sure if Bounty works for freezeing like it does for Prisons, but if it does, add one or two of those. Gotta love that Force retrieval. Oh, speaking of Force retrieval, I usually stick some You Swindled Me's in there. They are usually pretty useful... especially if the top card of your opponant's Lost Pile is something important, like Luke or Obi-Wan.

[EDIT: SHEESH! Bib came in and gave you a critique while I was typing up my review... he's so sneaky!]
  10. LakSivrak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    hi, its me again. thanks loads for that site, i downloaded this deckmaker thing there and i can see how few cards i have. ive only put in my light side cards, and i have almost 700, which i thought was a lot, but im missing a lot of rares. what is your opinions on which set to buy? since i bought as they came out, i have some of almost every set, but a lot of premire, ANH, and dagobah. and ive been trying to make a new deck with less locations and stuff, i think i just need to play more. anyways, i just wanted to say thanks for that site, youre awesome.
  11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Here are some suggestions for locations:

Play with Objectives that can start a couple locations. This will give you a good solid Force base and let you setup quicker.

Play cards that pull locations. Off the top of my head:

A New Secret Base
    Hidden Base
    Quiet Mining Colony
    Local Uprising
    Imperial Occupation
    Ralltiir Operations
    Dantooine Base Operations
    Massassi Base Operations
    I'm Sorry
    Commander Merrejk
    Insurrection/Imperial Arrest Order
    Security Control/Begin Landing Your Troops
    Commander Merrejk
    Set Your Course For Alderaan
    Geezum
    Wuta
    Mindful Of The Future/Neimoidian Advisor
    The Hyperdrive Generator's Gone
    Invasion
    Watch Your Step
    The Shield Is Down!
    Rebel Strike Team
    Walker Sighting
    A Dark Time For The Rebellion
    They're Tracking Us
    Carbon Chamber Testing

There may be many more. In general, I would not run more than one or two locations that either my Objective or my starting Effects can't pull. This will drastically reduce the number of 0s you will draw for weapon or battle destinies, and you may see more victories than before.

I would suggest buying the Reflections sets. They contain a bunch of cards from older sets, including one guaranteed foil (Reflections 2 and 3 also have premiums found only in that set). The other cards in the pack are random, but they may include several rares, which is worth it, IMHO.
  12. MoronDude Jedi Knight

star 6
    Okay, maybe some one would like to critique my deck?

-Dark Side-

Starting:
    Tatooine: Jabba's Palace
    Prepared Defences
    - Inconsequential Losses
    - Ni Chuba Na??
    - No Bargain

Characters:
    Ak-rev
    Aurra Sing
    Barada
    Barquin D'an
    Beedo
    Dannik Jerriko
    Danz Borin
    Dodo Bodonawieedo
    Dr. Evazan & Pondo Baba
    Gamorrean Guard x4
    Ghana Gleemort
    Greeta
    Lirin Car'n
    Ortugg
    Rappertunie
    Rystall
    Sebulba
    Tech Mo'r
    Wuher
    Yuzzum x2

Locations:
    Tatooine
    Jabba's Palace: Audience Chamber
    Jabba's Palace: Dungeon
    Jabba's Palace: Entrance Cavern
    Tatooine: Docking Bay 94
    Tatooine: Mos Eisley
    Tatooine: Mos Espa

Starships:
    Sentinel-Class Landing Craft x2
    Stinger

Vehicles:
    Skiff
    Ubrikkian 9000 Z001

Weapons:
    Dengar's Modified Riot Gun
    Dr. Evazan's Sawed-off Blaster
    Feltipern Trevagg's Stun Rifle
    Thermal Detinator x2

Devices:
    Jet Pack

Effects:
    Bounty x2
    Sandwhirl

Interupts
    Elis Helrot
    Jabba's Through With You
    Jabba's Twerps x2
    Kintan Striker
    Ommni Box
    We Have A Prisoner x2
    You Swindled Me

Oh and Bib, I like how you added "I have more posts than you" because you know someone's gonna think "No way he has more posts than me!" check your post total and feel both shame and awe over your huge total!
  13. LakSivrak Jedi Youngling

star 1
  14. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Dudem ur deck is pretty good cept one thing, if someone has starfighters and planets they could force drain you to death. The light side deck could have a few x-wings in diff locations, and u couldnt do anything abuot em. And if they have some high ability charactors like Luke and Obi Wan, ud be in trouble caus ud be loosing heaps of units even if u win the ground battles. U need to drop some of your low ability chars and pick up some such as Darth Vader and Boba Fett. You also need a few star destroyers in there too, drop some of your garr guards and build up your deck with space in mind as well. I suggest maybe also a Slave 1 in there so if Bobas on the table, you can just finish of the arena and then move into space with him.

So in short, too many chars compared with the amounts of the other cards. Its ok to have a ground based deck just make sure u can hold off space just in case.

Jedi Benji
  15. MoronDude Jedi Knight

star 6
    Thanks for looking at it. The only Vader I have, though, is Vader from premier (and he really sucks) and I don't have Boba or Slave 1 (Though, if I did, they would definatly be in there).

I was trying to stay away from Imperials, because some of LS's cards target Imperials, and all those cards would be useless against my deck.

However, I do see what you mean about not having enough starships. I'll have to go through my cards to find any more non Imperial ships I have.

Any other suggestions?
  16. LakSivrak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i have another question about my deck. those are pretty much my best cards. ive been reading about the new rules and cards, and objectives would do me no good! if i had any of the cards required to make one work well, it would just be one card. i would never be able to flip one. and is the extra price of reflections cards really worth it? are they that much better?
  17. MoronDude Jedi Knight

star 6
    So, can this be the official Deck help thread?
  18. NissoJape Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ok, the reflection cards are VERY worth it, you get a foil in every pack, i would spend 40 dolors on ebay and get a box of theose reflection decks......if i were you.
  19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    To be perfectly honest, all of the decks in this thread are beyond help. I suggest totally tearing them apart, then rebuild them using good cards.

You can go to www.decktech.net to see top decks, and more importantly, why they are top decks.

Here are my decks, so you can see examples of a good space deck for each side:

Dark side:

Starting (9):
    Fear Is My Ally (Allegations Of Corruption, A Useless Gesture, Battle Order, Come Here You Big Coward, Fanfare, I Find Your Lack Of Faith Disturbing V, Reactor Terminal V, Resistance, There Is No Try, We'll Let Fate-a Decide, Huh?)
    Set Your Course For Alderaan
    Death Star
    Alderaan
    Death Star: Docking Bay 327
    Prepared Defenses
    Imperial Arrest Order & Secret Plans
    Oppressive Enforcement
    Mobilization Points

Characters (18):
    Darth Vader V X2
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Admiral Motti V
    Admiral Piett
    Admiral Ozzel
    Admiral Chiraneau
    Captain Godherdt
    Commander Merrejk
    Commander Praji V
    Motti V
    Emperor Palpatine X2
    Arica
    Keder The Black
    Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
    Daroe
    U-3PO

Starships (14):
    Flagship Executor
    Chimaera
    Devastator
    Thunderflare
    Avenger
    Imperial-class Star Destroyer V X5
    Tyrant
    Vengeance
    Bossk In Hound's Tooth
    Zuckuss In Mist Hunter

Admiral's Orders (1):
    We're In Attack Position Now

Locations (5):
    Naboo
    Fondor
    Kashyyyk
    Sullust
    Death Star: War Room

Effects (4):
    Come With Me V
    Fear Will Keep Them In Line V X2
    Lateral Damage

Interrupts (9):
    Imperial Barrier X2
    Imperial Command X3
    We Must Accelerate Our Plans X2
    Twi'lek Advisor
    The Empire's Back V

This deck is all about getting heavy drains in space, coupled with massive Force loss from FWKTIL. I don't flip, because that takes too many cards to accomplish, and I can provide pain quickly if I don't bother flipping. Palpatine is in there purely for purposes of Battle Order; once he hits the Death Star docking bay, nothing can touch him. Undercover spies limit damage against me on the ground, and I just dominate space.

Light side:

Starting (8):

An Unusual Amount Of Fear (Affect Mind V, A Tragedy Has Occurred, Attack Run, Battle Plan, Death Star: Trench, Do Or Do Not, Ounee Ta, Proton Torpedoes, Traffic Control V, Ultimatum)
    Massassi Base Operations
    Yavin 4
    Yavin 4: Docking Bay
    Heading For The Medical Frigate
    Get To Your Ships!
    Great Shot, Kid!
    Strike Planning

Characters (18):
    Boushh
    Luke Skywalker V
    Captain Han Solo
    Wedge Antilles, Red Squadron Leader
    Colonel Feyn Gospic V
    Mon Mothma
    Colonel Cracken
    Biggs Darklighter V
    Elyhek Rue
    General Dodonna V
    Jek Porkins
    Kin Kian
    Lieutenant Blount
    Tycho Celchu
    Rebel Tech X3
    Dash Rendar

Starships (16):
    Home One
    Liberty
    Spiral
    Green Squadron 3
    Artoo-Detoo In Red 5
    Millennium Falcon
    Outrider
    Red 3
    Red 6
    Red 7
    Red Leader In Red 1
    Red Squadron 1
    Tala 1
    Tala 2
    Gold Leader In Gold 1
    Gray Squadron 1

Admiral's Orders (1):
    I'll Take The Leader

Locations (6):
    Death Star
    Naboo
    Kessel
    Yavin 4: Briefing Room
    Yavin 4: Massassi Headquarters
    Yavin 4: Massassi War Room

Weapons (3):
    Proton Torpedoes
    X-wing Laser Cannon X2

Devices (1):
    Fusion Generator Supply Tanks V

Effects (1):
    Insurrection & Aim High

Interrupts (6):
    Old Times
    Rebel Artillery
    Advance Preparation V
    All Wings Report In & Darklighter Spin X2
    Houjix & Out Of Nowhere

This deck flips very quickly, and it almost always blows the Death Star the turn after I flip, which will beat any flipping SYCFA deck before they can get to Yavin 4. My high destinies mean I rarely miss my Attack Run, and my Techs, Gospic, sites and Luke help out tremendously. After I blow the Death Star, it is just heavy drains and big retrieval in space. I especially like cycling the Liberty back and forth. Mon Mothma is perfect for this deck, as she lets me pull Rebel Techs to get set up while I flip. Plus, once I'm all flipped, I can just park her at the War Room and reduce my opponent's draws in space.
  20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Whoops, the Rebel Techs should be the virtual versions.
  21. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ok Bib, im just gunna ask you a few qustions to see WHY you have such a better deck, ill put my answers in brackets next to it and we'll compare ok?

1. How old are you? (15)

2. Do you have a large amount of income that could allow you to buy heaps of boosters? (no)

3. Can you still buy booster packs for CCG in any way? (no)

4. Can you still get CCG cards from ANYONE?? (no)

5. Do you have friends which play the game so u can practice against? (no)

6. Are you obsessed? (no)

7. Can i have your decks?? (yes)

Last ones a joke, unless u say yes. Lets compare answers ok?

Jedi Benji
  22. BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    1. How old are you? (16)

2. Do you have a large amount of income that could allow you to buy heaps of boosters?
    (No, But I do save up enough to buy a box or two online)

3. Can you still buy booster packs for CCG in any way? (Yes, let me point you to potomacdist.com, or allstartradingcards.com for some good box prices)

4. Can you still get CCG cards from ANYONE??
    (Yes. in addition to those 2 sites for boxes there are also many sites for singles. My favorite is addictive-behaviors.com {and not just cause bib works there :p )

5. Do you have friends which play the game so u can practice against? (No, I usually play online through Instant Messaging, and play at tournaments when I can.)

6. Are you obsessed? (I'd like to say no, but others might say I am. I haven't spent that much money on cards in a long time, because I think my decks are pretty good as they are)

7. Can i have your decks?? (Uhh, no. But feel free to make a post in the trading thread for cards you want.)

I'll type up my decks, and put them up here When I do. Might not be for a while though, I'm going to see TTT at least twice today. More if I can. See you all next year, probably. ;)
  23. Ultima_1 Jedi Knight

star 5
    This is my initial version, so any constructive reviews would be appreciated.

Starting (9)
    An Unusual Amount of Fear
    -Shields for meta-
    THGG/We'll Need a New One
    Tat: City Outskirts
    Tat: Watto's Junkyard
    Credits Will Do Fine
    HFTMF
    Wokling(V)
    I&AH
    Sai'torr(V)

Characters(23)
    Horox Ryyder
    Liana Merian
    Caldera Righim
    Sache
    Shmi Skywalker
    Tendau Bendon
    Officer Elberger
    Lieutenant Arven Wendik
    Officer Dolphe
    Yarua
    Lando w/Ax
    Jerus Jannick
    Ric Olie
    Jar-Jar
    Padme
    Han(V)
    Chewbacca
    Obi-Wan, PL x2
    Qui-Gon (Tat)
    Dash Rendar
    BoShek(V)
    Capt. Panaka(Cor)

Devices (1)
    Obi-Wan's Journal

Effects(4)
    BMM
    Squadron Assignments
    Tat. Celebration
    Bacta Tank

Interrupts(10)
    The Signal x2
    Stay Here Where it's Safe x2
    Sorry About The Mess
    SATM/ Blaster Proficiency
    A Jedi's Resilience
    Life Debt
    OOC/TT x2

Locations(3)
    Tat: Mos Espa DB
    Tat: DB 94
    Tatooine (Prem)

Starships(5)
    Bravo 2
    Bravo 3
    Bravo 5
    Queen's Royal Starship
    Outrider (Can deploy because it doesn't have ability)

Weapons(5)
    Chewbacca's Bowcaser
    Han's Gun(V)
    Qui-Gon's Saber (Tat)
    Panaka's Gun
    Obi-Wan's Saber (Prem)

After starting, there are only 3 destiny 0 cards that can usually be out by turn 2.

Cards I would add if I had them:
    Mace (Theed version)
    Sen. Palpatine
    Melas
    Threepio WHPS
    another Padme
    Amidala's Blaster
    Lightsaber Prof.

With all the characters, it should be easy to get some to the Junkyard quickly. Wokling is to boost early activation and pull Tatooine Celebration once you flip. Most of the characters were selected for high statistics or useful GT.

Stay Here Where it's safe is a good destiny 4 which can boost both power and protection for all the senators except Yarua.

I just put the deck together, so I'm not sure about matchups yet.

Thank you for your constructive reviews.
  24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Wookiee Strangle wouldn't be a bad idea, since both Chewie and Yarua can use it.
  25. Wedge231 Jedi Youngling

I haven't posted on here in awhile. I found this thread...

This is the deck I'm using in tournaments. It's not really original or anything, but it wins though. I'm not looking for having fun, I have other decks for that purpose. I think I need maybe some more space although lightside space is rare here. I could also use some more characters. At the last tournament I was stuck with Guri at a site and the only people in my hand wouldn't have been able to draw battle destiny.

Starting (9)
    Fear Is My Ally (with 10 shields)
    Agents of Black Sun
    Coruscant (Special Edition)
    Coruscant: Imperial City
    Prince Xizor
    Prepared Defenses
    Imperial Arrest Order & Secret Plans
    You Cannot Hide Forever & Mobilization Points
    There Is No Try & Oppressive Enforcement

Locations (5)
    Coruscant: Docking Bay (Episode 1)