main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CCG podracer deck

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by iwjev, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwjev

iwjev Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    I am looking into making a podracer deck. I have gotten all the light side podracer cards from the tatooine expansion. I just have a few questions.

1. Are there any other podracer cards in reflections, theed palace, or coruscant expansion sets?
    2. Has anyone else tryed to make a podracer deck? If so, how did it work and can you give me any pointers?

John

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I would suggest that you combine Podracing with one of the following Objectives:

Watch Your Step
    We'll Handle This
    You Can Either Profit By This...
    Plead My Case To The Senate
    Agents In The Court

I suppose you could really Podrace with any Objective, but the above 5 seem to work the best.

3. pinbstr300

pinbstr300 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    I have found that the podracing works well with the lightsaber combat objectives. when I built those decks I packed like 20-25 7's in the deck and when podracing that makes the race go that much faster. plus its always good to have the high destiny for the saber combat. that is definately my favorite combo :) good luck

4. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    Can anyone help me with the rules of a podrace? I have been reading the rules from the decipher website and it gives a little bit of information about every part of a podrace except one. Who do you win a podrace, what do you get and loss after a podrace, and what happens once a podrace is finished. I am sure this is out there somewhere but i can not find it.

I also have a question about race destiny. When you draw for race destiny you stack that card ontop of your racer/arena (if you do not have a racer). Once a race is over what do you do with the cards? I would assume you put then in your used pile.

Thanks for all your help.

Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek thanks for the objective suggestions. I will look into each of the cards and see which one I like.

Thanks for the advice pinbstr300. I was thinking the same thing once I read that you will be drawing race destiny. So what are some of the cards that you put in your deck?

John

5. pinbstr300

pinbstr300 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    the boonta eve podrace card for each side (Light and Dark) covers how the race works. the podracer will give you advantages in the race (anakins podracer lets you draw 2 destinys if you are in the lead, 3 if you are behind).

As for my decks, I typically put in just enough space cards to hold one system (5 or 6 power ships) and focus my attack on the ground. with the saber combat objective you can drain for at least 4 a turn if you have people at just your starting sites. This almost forces your opponent to come after you. I usually use Han Chewie and the Falcon (ref 3) for Light Side space as one of my power cards. This allows me to use interuder missles (SE destiny 7) for weapons. after they are fired they go back to the used pile. I also like the rebel and imperial artillery cards (COR) another useful destiny 7. just look at the SWCCG card search for other ideas I will link the address here. if you have any other questions I would definately recommend you try and build the deck and post it here. Im sure everyone would be more than happy to help you out :)

Good Luck :)

--C

SWCCG Card Search

6. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    pinbstr300, What is the saber combat objective? I tryed to look it up but could not find it.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    We'll Handle This

8. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    Interesting card but I dont think I have one. Besides I am looking to make this a tatooine podracer deck.

John

9. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    The important three things to consider are:

1) How will I win the podrace?

2) How will I stay alive lobng enough to win the podrace?

3) What will I do once I have won it?

1) The first is a no brainer. You need to have high destinies. In fact, you WILL lose the race if you cannot consistently have at least one of your destinies greater than 3 (after all, Sebulba adds 3 to EVERY race destiny) So high destiny is extremely important for this type of deck. Of course, a few cards also let you manipulate the destinies, or do other cool things as well.

2) If your whole deck is focused on the podrace, you may not live long enough to enjuoy the spoils of victory. The other folks have covered this well. Have enough power cards to hold a site or two, or to prevent being annihilated by force drains. It's really worth checking out some of the defensive shields for this.

3) The aformentioned Defensive Shields have done their best to completely screw Podracing over. But only if you let the opponent run the game. If your opponent isn't playing with Def S's, then you can smile :) On the other hand, beware of nasty cards like "You've never won a Podrace? and Secret Plans. One reduces the amount your opponent loses, while the other makes you pay if you want to retrieve force (paying 6 force is a lot, especially during the opponent's move phase)

Let's say yopu're lucky and your oppoent doesn't have "Fear is My Ally" (the essential card for DS DS's ;) ) Then I did it is one nasty card. As long as you meet it's criteria (you'll need to occupy a battleground system and site) you will:

have a one of retrieval of 4. Yummy, especailly after the podrace's retrieval

Gain one extra force per turn while placing another card in your life force

force the opponent to use all their force in their turn.

The 10 force retrieved (or 15 if the other guy has Watto's Box) is one quarter of your deck, and very handy. THe other things are nasty ways to keep your opponent at bay.

So how are you going to take advantage of these things? You deck needs to suit the podrace. Remember, you can only have 60 cards, so you can't afford to have many that don't affect your central theme.

To finish off, here are some great ways to abuse, ah, use podracing:

Losing track: this can damage your opponent's podracer. That means they either forfrit drawing a race destiny (ie making it harder for them to win the race) or lose one force (never a bad thing).

The force lost during the race will only make things worse when/ if they lose at the end.

A close race: As long as you play it before the race actually finishes, the defeat may not be too bitter. On the other hand, deploy it early, and pray you don'y lose by more than 12 (unlikely, but it can happen, especially if your opponent is ready to podrace.)

Graxol Kelvyyn: risky if your opponent is also playing podracing, but ultra cool if they aren't. Remember, podracing xcan put you back in the game. That's exactly how this guy helps. Add it to losing track above, and the differential can soar.

I guess most of this is obvious stuff, but I hope it helps.

10. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    I don't know how good it still is, but around the time of Tatooine/Coruscant, one of the toughest Light Side podracing decks was when you combined it with the Rebel Strike Team objective. The deck was known as RST Boomrace, and what it basically did was cause a huge swing in your favor midgame. You started with the podracing objective and Strike Planning (the effect that lets you pull generals), and got The Shield Is Down! out quickly. You could usually work it so that you blew the Bunker and won the podrace at about the same time, for a combined effect of a 28 Force swing (14 retrieved for you, 14 lost for your opponent) and making them dump their hand to the Used Pile, so it would be at least a turn before they could do anything to recover. Coupled with the continuing benefits of I Did It! and Garrison Destroyed, a Bunker/Podrace combo deals a huge and sudden blow too powerful to recover from.

11. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    Thanks for the info Ocelot_X I will look into it. Do you have a list of the cards that are in the deck? I think the only problem will be that some of the cards in that deck will be comming from the Endor set. And I don't have any of the Endor cards.

John

12. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I have made a podracing deck with Rescue The Princess, but it is tricky to pull off.

13. Young_Ben

Young_Ben Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    I made a podrace deck once that had no objective. It makes it a little easier, esp. if you want it to be on a certain planet that doesn't have a objective, i.e. Tatooine.

Just my $0.02

14. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    I am working on a Podracer Expansion. There are currently 22 Podracer cards. I already have 26 new cards in the works.

I have:
    3 new Epic Events
    2 new light side Podracers
    a new character class (Podracer Pilot)

Things I need:
    new location Arenas
    new Podraces
    Light&Dark side Podrace Objectives

Let me know if there is anything that you would like to see in a Podracer Expansion.

John

15. Elven_Jedi

Elven_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Podracing goes well with a bounty hunter deck as well. Hi destinies to make the captures, and win the race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.