main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[CCG] Virtual set #3: Get in line!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BrenDerlin, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Wow. It's cool that you guys are changing the power, deploy, forfiet, etc. And is it just me, or is Tarkin more powerful than his counterpart?(Or at least AS powerful)

Oh, and you guys mentioned a way to make the Jedi Pack Cards available. What does this mean exactly? are you going to have a mail-in similar to what Decipher had? Or maybe use them as prize support at tournies (which I think would be a good idea, seeing how it would be a good way to get some good cards into the hands of players.

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Maybe I'm in a grumpy mood this morning, but I just don't like these new virtual versions of the "Jedi Pack mains":

>Han (V)
    >
    >Power 4 Ability 3
    >Deploy 3 Forfeit 6
    >
    >Adds 3 to power of anything he pilots (4 to Falcon). If Or Be Destroyed on table, immune to attrition < Han s Power, and Force retrieved with Or Be Destroyed is immune to Secret Plans. While armed with a blaster, Han is defense value +2 and adds 2 to each of his weapon destiny draws.
    >

Forget the piloting ability. This guy makes Profit a wrecking ball. Retrieve 5 force - immune to Secret Plans? When armed with Han's Virtual Blaster, he adds THREE to his weapon destiny draws, which practically guarantees a hit, causing opponent to lose 1 force and be forfeit = 0. Also, Han's Virtual Blaster has built in SATM, and Virtual Han adds 2 to THAT destiny draw, too. And with his blaster he's defense value = 5?? Low deploy and high forfeit. He's immune to the new Virtual Han Seeker, too.

Virtual Han + Virtual Han's Blaster = Broken Han.

>Leia (V)
    >
    >Power 3 Ability 4
    >Deploy 2 Forfeit 5
    >
    >Leia's game text may not be canceled. While at opponent's Galactic Senate, may lose 1 Force to place Leia and any character present out of play. Once per battle here, may cancel game text of opponent's leader of ability < 5 present for remainder of turn.
    >

Virtual Leia + Virtual Demotion = the end of Dark Senate. Place one Senator out of play (Lott Dodd) and use Virtual Demotion to cancel the game text of another one (Edcel perhaps?). Who needs to worry about Dark Senate decks any more? Even if you're playing WYS, for 8 force you can shut their deck down.

She also kills Scum decks. Mighty Jabba's game text? Cancelled. Ephant Mon? Cancelled. Your "Rep"? Cancelled.

She also puts a big hurt on a lot of Imperial ground decks.

All that for a deploy of only 2? TWO?!? Broken.

>Motti (V)
    >
    >Power 3 Ability 3
    >Deploy 1 Forfeit 5
    >
    >Adds 2 to power of anything he pilots. Once per game may \/ Kuat Drive Yards. Kuat Drive Yards is immune to Alter, and Unique (*) Star Destroyers are power + 2 (+ 5 if armed with a starship weapon).
    >

Oh, great. More help for Virtual FWKTIL. Just pull KDY from Reserve Deck. Need the Chimaera? Go get it. Need a non-unique ICSD? Go get it. And he only deploys for 1?!? Sheesh.

>Tarkin (V)
    >
    >Power 5 Ability 3
    >Deploy 3 Forfeit 7
    >
    >Adds one battle destiny with Vader (or against a Rebel at a mobile site). Spies and Jar Jar may not deploy to Death Star. May subtract 2 from the Force retrieved from On The Edge or Off The Edge. Once per game may /\ Put All Sections On Alert, Hyperwave Scan, or an ISB agent.
    >

Power 5??

"Spies and Jar Jar may not deploy to Death Star." You mean, not even at the docking bay which is a battleground site? That makes no sense. Of course, the way it's worded, Mara can't deploy to the Death Star, either. Huh?

Offers some counters to On The Edge and Off The Edge ... between Virtual Tarkin and Do They Have A Code Clearance, you can pretty much shut those down as retrieval engines. They may get one modest retrieval out of them for the game, that's all.

More SYCFA help, with pulling PASOA, but it's only once per game, so it's not broken.

Of the four Jedi Pack mains, this one is the most balanced (which isn't saying much). Still doesn't make sense, with the power 5 and universal spy blocking ability ... and the very low deploy. Of course, Virtual Leia eats him for lunch....

Sheesh.

3. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    I have found in games with my SYC Flip deck that I am regularly invaded because of spies. this will give me the opportunity to build up the force I need to get the objective flipped and blast you to kingdom come. Motti just helps with that, being able to pull Kuat Drive Yards has been the bigest problem for most space decks if they can't get a signal or other effect grabber, this lets you do that PLUS with The Empire's back card you can go and grab him as well. Basically decipher's trying to make us thing of different ways to get around certain cards. Tarkin: you can always kill him and thus deploy you spies. Motti: he isn't that bad just someone to whoop up. Han: it isn'tt hat bacd on the retriving aspect but he can still be killed vader, maul, jodo, mara, can easily kill him with a sniper. will continue this discussion in a later time.

4. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Motti just helps with that, being able to pull Kuat Drive Yards has been the bigest problem for most space decks if they can't get a signal or other effect grabber, this lets you do that PLUS with The Empire's back card you can go and grab him as well.

With Fear Will Keep Them In Line (V), The Empire's Back (V), Motti (V) and Kuat Drive Yards, this deck is too powerful! Having trouble getting KDY out of your deck? Good! That gives your opponent a chance. But not anymore....

Tarkin: you can always kill him and thus deploy you spies.

That's not what concerns me about Tarkin. He's actually the least objectionable one in the bunch, IMO. But the wording is all wrong. Moff Jerjerrod has similar text, but it only restricts spies from deploying at his location. Tarkin restricts spies and Jar Jar from deploying at ANY Death Star location -- even a battleground site like the Docking Bay -- and (this part I think was unintentional) even restricts his OWN spies from deploying on the Death Star. I don't think Tarkin (V) is broken, I just think he's wrong. He shouldn't be able to keep a spy from deploying to a battleground site, and he shouldn't be able to keep HIS OWN spies from deploying.

Motti: he isn't that bad just someone to whoop up.

Motti (V) is a beast in a SYCFA + FWKTIL(V) deck. FWKTIL(V) is all about having SDs on the table. With Kuat Drive Yards out, you can pull those SDs from reserve deck.

And he only deploys for ONE?!?

Han: it isn't that bad on the retriving aspect but he can still be killed vader, maul, jodo, mara, can easily kill him with a sniper.

Of course he can still be killed. But it just got a lot tougher: with his (V)-Gun, he's now a defense value 5!

And don't underestimate the immunity to Secret Plans. That's huge! There is no other card in the game that can retrieve 5 force and not be subject to Secret Plans. And if you don't have to pay the 5 force, that's enough force to deploy Lando w/Axe, Leia w/Gun, Padawan Obi, Ben Kenobi, Chewie Protector or Chewie w/Blaster; with one more you could even deploy Qui-Gon or Chewie Enraged. See how big an impact that can make?

5. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    You make some good points, artie. But there are some things that you missed.

Han (V)

Power 4 Ability 3
    Deploy 3 Forfeit 6

Adds 3 to power of anything he pilots (4 to Falcon). If Or Be Destroyed on table, immune to attrition < Han's Power, and Force retrieved with Or Be Destroyed is immune to Secret Plans. While armed with a blaster, Han is defense value +2 and adds 2 to each of his weapon destiny draws.

First, I doubt this will become a staple in every deck. First off, Check the lore on the Jedi Pack Han.

Corellian. Graduated with honors from the Imperial Academy. Dishonorably discharged. Wanders the galaxy building a reputation as a gambler and a hot-shot pilot.

Do you see smuggler anywhere? Me neither. He's a gambler, That's it. Therefore, he probably won't be making much of an appearance in any WYS deck. Look a little closer. He only has immunity if profit is on table(well actually, the flipside of profit, to be accurate). So he'll basically be forfiet fodder unless you're playing profit. And it's quite true, he does make profit much more powerful, especially with the whole immune to secret plans deal.

Leia (V)
    Power 3 Ability 4
    Deploy 2 Forfeit 5

Leia's game text may not be canceled. While at opponent's Galactic Senate, may lose 1 Force to place Leia and any character present out of play. Once per battle here, may cancel game text of opponent's leader of ability < 5 present for remainder of turn.

First off, what you said about it killing scum decks is off. Chewebacca, Protector also "killed" scum decks. That's right, Mighty Jabba, Ephant Mon, and most 'Reps' are power>4. So forget about that.

Now I agree, she does hurt senate, but wasn't that what she's supposed to do? I personally loathe senate decks, and am pretty happy to see something done about it. I would have preferred some sheild that only lets them use one(or maybe 2) senators GT a turn. But what this new Leia really is at heart, is just a Virtual Demotion in Character form.

Motti (V)
    Power 3 Ability 3
    Deploy 1 Forfeit 5

Adds 2 to power of anything he pilots. Once per game may \/ Kuat Drive Yards. Kuat Drive Yards is immune to Alter, and Unique (*) Star Destroyers are power + 2 (+ 5 if armed with a starship weapon).

Well, I'm not sure what to say to this one. I haven't seen any FWKTIL decks, personally. But I guess what you said was valid.

Tarkin (V)
    Power 5 Ability 3
    Deploy 3 Forfeit 7

Adds one battle destiny with Vader (or against a Rebel at a mobile site). Spies and Jar Jar may not deploy to Death Star. May subtract 2 from the Force retrieved from On The Edge or Off The Edge. Once per game may /\ Put All Sections On Alert, Hyperwave Scan, or an ISB agent.

You're probably right in saying that it's an error that the DS can't deploy spies to the DS. I actually prefer the old tarkin to this one. In my mind, cancelling a destiny is more powerful than adding one. Also I'm guessing that Hyperwave scan is also virtualized in this set.....

6. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Hey! I found another spoiler on GPN!

Ket Maliss (V)

Deploy on table. Once per turn, may /\ Greedo, Hem Dazon, Dannik Jerriko, Beedo, or Reegesk. During your deploy phase you may \/ one docking bay. While Emperor of destiny > 5 not on table, Black Sun agents are forfeit +2 and defense value +1. (Immune to Alter.)

My take on it: Well. It's best use seems to be Black sun, obviously. At first glance, I suppose it's an IAO for Black Sun. I also like the bonus for using tht R2 emperor, encourages people to use more accesible cards. I think the real meat of this card is to upload(take into hand, as opposed to download) one of those bounty hunters(and other "scoundrels". We already know that Greedo is being Virtualized, I'm supposing the rest are as well.

EDIT: found this on decktech(posted by doug taylor)

Colonel Feyn Gospic (V)
    Once per turn, may /\ one commander or Balanced Attack. While Massassi Base Operations on table, opponent may only deploy one Imperial to each Yavin 4 site per turn. Doubles Rebel Tech bonus to Attack Run.

Also, he said that they made a minor change to Red 5. It?s now immune < 6 (when Luke piloting).

7. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    **Grabs a Newcastle, and a sub sandwich.....Continues to wait for the Hoth Virtual Set**

:cool:

8. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I don't think that'll be until next year.

9. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Well, If Gospic is to be believed, then they're doing some special edition as well. I'm thinking they might be doing some stuff from Jabba's Palace as well (Beedo, Ree-Yes) I'm just guessing, though

*grabs a sub, and another pepsi. proceeds to devour both*

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, it looks like they're taking elements from the SE set that would have appeared in the set being virtualized...I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Beedo and other JP cards have been virtualized yet, but it's very likely they have been targeted to be for the future JP-V set.

11. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    You know, what I don't think availability of The Introductory 2-player game is that much of a problem. I searched on ebay for "star wars card game"(Not CCG, mind you. Just card game). On JUST THE FIRST PAGE, I got the following results:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1766191526
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1765943043
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=713463312
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1766310855
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=713122310
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=713351160
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1766402667

None of them had bids(understandably), and most were under $5. There were also many Empire boxes as well.

12. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    ***Baca sneaks over from the TCG line, uses the force to direct everyone's attention elsewhere, steals a sub sandwich and some ships, runs away, trips over some Jawa's sleeping. Sandwhich and chips go flying while Baca does faceplant in asphalt. Stands up and pretends to be just visiting since everyone is staring now****

"Hey guys! How is it going over here?"

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>..steals a sub sandwich and some ships, runs away, trips over some Jawa's sleeping. Sandwhich and chips go...<<

Odd that it's the chips that go flying, instead of the ships... ;;D

14. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Guess we know what line has the better food, eh? Must be all those ferrets.... :)

You know, what I don't think availability of The Introductory 2-player game is that much of a problem.

That's nice, Bren, but Han/Leia/Tarkin/Motti didn't come in the Introductory 2-player game. :) They came in the "Jedi Pack", which you used to be able to get by sending Decipher $1.

Jedi Packs also were available in one of the Anthologies ... 1st Anth. I believe ...

But here's a trivia question for those of you sitting in line with me. One of the four Jedi Pack "mains" could be found in two other products: which main is it, and what are the two products? (This is not much of a trivia question, but it helps pass the time and forget about how uncomfortable this sidewalk is ... ouuch!)

15. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I know! I know!

Leia could be found in WB version in the Hoth 2-player game, and as a Japanese foil in R2.

Who knows their "useless" Jedi Pack card trivia? :p

16. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Here are a couple more spoilers to tide you guys over for th next two days.

Advance Preparation (V)

USED: Once per game, deploy Death Star: Trench, Attack Run and/or Proton
    Torpedoes from under your
    Starting Effect. (Immune to Sense.)
    LOST: Retrieve 1 Force. OR If One In A Million on table, retrieve any one
    card.

IT-0 (V)

Deploy 2 Forfeit 3

Your Force drains wherever you have a captive are + 2. Immune to
    Restraining Bolt and attrition <
    3. Once per game, may \/ Hypo.

17. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Yes Artie, I'm aware of that. I was referring to a post where someone said that they were not going to virtualize the 2-player-Game cards(Luke, Vader, Chewie, Tarkin, etc.)

18. DOUGRED4

DOUGRED4 Jedi Master

Feb 19, 2002
    Sorry to be nitpicky, but the 2-player game cards didn't include a Tarkin. The card you're thinking of is Veers.

An interesting anecdote is that there was once very nearly a THIRD version of Tarkin (besides the orginal in Premiere and the Jedi Pack version). It was called Governor Tarkin and it nearly came in 3rd Anthology to help out SYCFA.

Doug Taylor
    Red 4
    Star Wars CCG Player Advocate
    Gameplay Design

19. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Cool, a vitual IT-0. Maybe i'll have some use for the 4 foiled ones I got in my free box of R1

20. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    And It's Monday!

And there's nothing........yet.

When can we expect the set to be up?

21. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Bad News....GregAndersonPC posted this on the Decipher boards:

"Due to forces not entirely within our control (namely - illness) the layout of the cards isn't done yet. It looks as though we'll post a complete spoiler today, and the actual card sheets later this week.

No, it's not the same, and we're horribly sorry. We thought we'd get it done this weekend, "

Well, all I have to say is......

CRAP!!!

22. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Full spoilers are now up on the TF.N CCG page.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Geez...podracing just got killed big time... figures, I just made a deck using that finally...

They've certainly shaken things up witht his set... DBO and MBO boosts...Death Star/Star Destroyer decks will slaughter everything in their path.... more bonuses for spies (might see them more often now) and bounty hunters...Eject Eject is a more effective Zuckuss killer now (no destiny draw required) ...Greedo and some others will tame Captain Han...

Still, I think they've unfairly harmed podracing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.