Indi, IN Celebration '02: The Official "Ask a Question About Indy" Thread

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Qui-John, Apr 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
    Reading some of the other posts here, it occurred to me that some people are already inquiring about some of the finer details about Indy - hotels, etc. - and I'm sure there are many, MANY, more on the way.

So, in an attempt to keep the queries centralized (ie. NOT spread about over 14 threads), here's a thread in which to pose them. General, specific - whatever comes to your mind - ask away. An Indy Knight is never far away...! :)

2. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    This will probably be one of the most asked questions, so I thought I'd repost it.

K Kanos asks:
    "I havent' been, other than driving through on my way back to "The Region", in downtown Indianapolis for a while. What do you all recommend in way of a nice hotel within walking distance?"

Hotels within a block or so of the Convention Center:
    Hyatt Regency: http://www.hyatt.com/usa/indianapolis/hotels/hotel_indri.html
    Westin Hotel: http://www.westin.com/property.taf?prop=1033&lc=en
    Omni-Severin Hotel: http://www.omnihotels.com/cgi-bin/hotel_info.asp?h_id=16
    Canterbury Hotel: http://www.canterburyhotel.com/
    Courtyard by Marriot: http://www.courtyard.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=INDDC
    Crowne Plaza Hotel at Union Station: http://www.basshotels.com/crowneplaza?_franchisee=INDDT
    Embassy Suites: http://www.netbooker.com/booker/AppLogic%2bbooker.hotel.info.Start?brand=ES&iid=ES&?page=HOME&pid=INDWW
    Hampton Inn: http://www.netbooker.com/booker/AppLogic%2bbooker.hotel.info.Start?brand=HX&iid=HX&?page=HOME&pid=INDDT
    Residence Inn by Marriot: http://www.residenceinn.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=INDRI

This isn't a complete list, just the first few that came to mind.
  3. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Good idea Qui-John!
    Thanks Sebulba-X for the leg-work in getting those sites linked. That helps a lot. I am going to wait for the "Official" announcement from Lucasfilm to book my room. You guys in Iny have to be totally psyched up. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
  4. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
    Uppers!

And, for our friend DINVADER, I will repost his question here, as I think it'll be a pretty common one:

DINVADER: "When will tickets go on sale? I am from the area and am afraid They'll be sold out before I have a chance to get them. I hope they keep that info in the news, anyone know anything?"

A: No news on that yet. The WotC people (last I heard) were in the process of signing contracts, etc., so ticket information may be a while off. After all, it is over a year away, yet - although just barely! ;) Also, I don't think you'll have to worry about them selling out of tickets. Matter of a fact, I'm not sure that there is a maximum # of tickets. Still, I'll direct this to those who went to Denver - was there a finite amount of tickets available, or was it "come one, come all"?

5. Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President

VIP
    star 3
    I posted this in Din's thread but will post it here as well.......

I will post any info I get to the site and let everyone involved (The Indy Knights I mean) konw what the scoop is.

The "Official" word should be coming donw shortly, so stay tuned.........

Same Bat time....................

Same Bat Channel.........................
  6. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
  7. vadersfist Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just heard mention of SWCII in another forum. I've heard nothing else about it, anywhere... Where are we hearing that there will be another, and that it will be in IN???

Ok, I found it! It's three quarters across the country from me, but I'm goin'!!!! Woo!
  8. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    While the story may have broke somewhere else, I heard about it here in these Force.net stories:

March 23, 2001: Episode II: The Indianapolis Celebration

March 28, 2001: Indianapolis Celebration Update

You might also want to look at this thread that I started that has all kinds of links to stories and discussions throughout the forums...however, with the new features you'll have to cut and paste the links into your address bar: Episode 2 Celebration Buzz: A Link Reference Guide

Hope this helps...

[image=http://fan.starwars.com/Sebulba_X_Racing/files/Fieldhouse_Invasion_Interior.JPG]
  9. jjawa3 Jedi Padawan

Thanks for the hotel and restaurant information. I will be coming from Washington State, and just found this board. Is there any more updated information concerning registration, tickets, prices, etc.? I need to know so that I can plan. I'm very excited about this!

This summer I will be taking a "recon" trip through Indianapolis. Any suggestions?
  10. Salacious_Crummy Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a question. How on earth did you get so luck to get to have the Celebration in your city? :D
  11. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
    "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." :D

Clean living, my friend. That, and a healthy amount of convention experience!

12. JediJeff13 Jedi Master

star 4
    Indy = the middle of nowhere. We (Chicago) have WAY more convention space than there, but Chgo is too busy for such a huge meeting of fans. Indy has the right amount of space, as well as being away from too major a metropolitan to cause a lot of troubles. Yeah, yeah - Indianapolis is a city, I know. I didn't mean that as a slam. But Indy is a city that doesn't have much going on at that time frame. And that is a plus when it comes to a site for Celebration.

Trust me - somewhere up there is a compliment. There is - honest. Ummmm.... I can still stay over at your house next year, right? PLEASE? :)
  13. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    We have nothing going on in that time frame?

Umm you don't follow racing much do you? Yeah the Indy 500 is just one day, but for the whole month of May we are in 500 mode. I'm not much of a fan, but even I know to expect more people.

Indy is the 11th largest city in the United States. No we aren't in the middle of nowhere. We are surrounded by at least two states that have large metropoli, Chicago, IL and Cincinnati, OH. Both of which are within a 3 hour drive. Plus St. Louis is about 4-5 hours away. If Celebration was in Omaha, Nebraska, then I'd agree it was in the middle of nowhere. We may not be as big as Chicago, but we're big enough.
  14. JediJeff13 Jedi Master

star 4
    I do agree that the central location is probably the major factor in the choice of Indy.

And yes, Shara - Indy 500. But other than that, no major sporting events during the summer. No MLB nor NHL team. The Colts are long done by that time, and the Pacers could be a problem, but not too large an issue. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that the Indy 500 being the prior weekend wasn't a desirable factor in the choice of Indianapolis.

And while we're on the subject of the 500 - good showing, Tony, by your boys in this years running. CART in the top 5 and a NASCAR in position 6. How embarrassing is that?
  15. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    Tony doesn't get embarassed when he's on the way to the bank to make a fat deposit...he could care less who wins, he still has complete control over the single most important race in the world. CART needs the Indy 500 more than Indy needs CART.

Anyway, Indy's also cheaper in just about every imaginable way for visitors...no toll roads, no where near the traffic problems, only a 5 or 6% sales tax, and downtown, particularly near the convention center, is about as safe as anywhere in the city.

As far as it being in the middle of nowhere, it's practically in the center of the eastern half of the US. Even driving from Atlanta or D.C. is just over a half day's trip.

;) You're letting your jealousy cloud your vision. ;)
  16. JediJeff13 Jedi Master

star 4
    No jealousy. I'm actually glad it's NOT in Chgo. That would be a nightmare!!!!! Me - I would know where I'm going. But with all the twists and turns that are around McCormick or any smaller convention space, I would be pulling my hair out. I think a smaller metropolis is the best place for Celebration 2002. And a well centrally located city like Indy is a good choice. Like it was said, meer hours from Chgo, Cleveland, Columbus. And not a long trip from Atl, Detroit, Toronto, Milw, Mnpls, St. Louis - gonna make for a great time for all of us involved. Me - I'll probably be commuting in from Plymouth. My mom has a little place in there. She's thinking of selling it. NOT FOR ANOTHER YEAR YOU DON'T! :D
  17. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    A lot of people don't give Indianapolis a lot of credit. WE've got just about everything the frequent metropolis goer needs. Especially downtown. The only thing we don't have in the general area of the convention center is a good large bookstore, and guess what, we'll have one by next year.
    And yeah we may not have a major league team playing at that time, but hey, we have the Triple A Baseball champions ;p Oooo we need to go to the see the Indians in a big group.
  18. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    Arena football also takes place during this time of year, and it is a total blast.

It would be extremely cool if the Indians are playing the weekend of the Celebration.
  19. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, Brian - along those lines, what about setting up some sort of "Star Wars" night if they're at home?

It might be a nice thing where baseball-lovin' SW fans could congregate, mingle, etc. It'd be right next door to the Celebration, and it'd be a good place for meeting up with other fans. Maybe we could get the stadium to flash different Fan Forum names on the billboard, etc...

Hmm....gonna have to give this some more thought.... ;)
  20. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    Hrmm I actually have connections to the Blast and Blaze. Maybe I can ask him about the Indians.
  21. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    Well now you're talking my arena of expertise (not baseball, but getting tickets). As my company prints for all the pro teams (big & little leagues...well, Warren little league, but I meant minor leagues, you name them, we probably print for them) I have connections to other people's connections. I don't get tickets for free, mind you, but I can pretty much get them for whatever is going on that weekend. Obviously, anyone can get group tickets to the Indians or Firebirds, but I'll organize something once the schedules for next season.

Maybe if Xisor grabs the ear of "Darth MOMC" or whoever may be the Jedi delegation from WOTC we could work in an optional Indians ticket to go with Celebration ticket preorders (if the schedule coincides)...That would be an extra $5-7 for a ticket to sit in the midst of Star Wars Fans from everywhere in one of the coolest minor league stadiums in the US. For reference purposes, here are the current group ticket prices for the Indians.
  22. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooo that's cool. We could mention that to WotC when they come to town and see what they think.
  23. Qui-John Jedi Knight

star 3
    With the official announcement a few days ago, I thought it would be an appropriate time for "uppers" on this thread. :)
  24. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, I have an a question about Indy. How far would it be walking distance from the Courtyard Marriott to the RCA Dome/Convention Center? How long would that take? And, is it a fairly safe neighborhood? Would I get mugged stepping outside of my hotel room?
  25. yodafett999 Jedi Master

star 4
    Heh, it's right across the street. You will be mugged though, best to carry a firearm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.