main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN Celebration '02: The Official "Ask a Question About Indy" Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Qui-John, Apr 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Firearm or a plastic lightsaber, either will work. Muggers tend to stay away from the crazy looking tourists. ;)

Seriously, most places downtown are pretty safe. Exercise a little common sense and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Everything is within a couple of blocks from the convention center (hotels, resturants, brothels, and crack houses, etc. etc.) and are in well lit areas. It's always smart to go with a group, see the common sense statement above, which with thousands of fans making their way to the city shouldn't be a problem. Feel free to name me in your will though, just in case.

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Well, I'm from Atlanta, and you know ALL southerners ALWAYS pack heat. ;) So no biggie there. Shoot first and ask questions later. Atlanta is a big city, but not having been to Indy, I didn't know what the hotel area was like in relation to the dome. I made my reservations yesterday for a King size room at $119 a night! I travel around the country a bit for work and thought that was quite a bargain. I just wanted to make sure that the clerk wouldn't try to pimp the housekeeping staff out or offer samples of crack with breakfast. Marriott's are usually pretty nice though.

3. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Crack with breakfast at Marriott???? Ah man.....and I've been sleeping at Sheratons all these years. DAMN!

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    No if you're looking for the crack houses, they're in my neighborhood.

Hey, I went to Atlanta last October and I never saw any of that southern hospitality I've heard about. And not much nightlife. Unlike Atlanta, there is lots to do at night in downtown Indy.

5. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Well Shara...what were you looking for in the way of nighlife? There are plenty of clubs to go to here. Do you like jazz? blues? punk rock? gothic? top 40 dance? It's here, at least 6 nights a week. As far as the southern horse-brutality goes, Atlanta has become too international for that. You find that in small out of the way towns in the south. I'm actually from New England, so the lack of personal warmth doesn't bug me. I really look forward to getting to meet everyone up there. We've been busy getting our FanForce chapter together here and preparing for DragonCon next month. Then our next BIG outing...some type of get together in Indianapolis. Hope to meet you guys there!

6. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Jace, did you get free parking with that $119 rate?

Phil

7. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I'm flying in, so I planned to take the hotel/airpott shuttle. I did get the room with a king bed, sleeper sofa, microwave and a refrigerator. I don't plan to do any driving in Indy.

8. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well when I went to Atlanta, we went downtown one night at about 7 p.m. and the only thing we could find to do was go to Underground. And well walk through the homeless park. We looked at restaurants and they all looked dead by 9 p.m. On any given night, in the heart of downtown, there will be busy restaurants and people walking all around till at least 10 or 11 :) As for being international, that doesn't mean you have to be rude or fake about being nice. ;p On a whole, people from Indianapolis are polite and nice. Stop a person on the street for directions and 9 times out of 10 you'll get them.
    A lot of people think Indianapolis is a po-dunk city. I think everyone coming to Indy is going to be pleasantly surprised. :)

I think it would be a good idea to carry a plastic lightsaber, extended of course, at all times. People asking for money from you would probably leave you alone, thinking you've got more problems then them ;p

9. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I just looked at a map and you're about 3 blocks straight north of the Convention Center. An easy walk day or night, or just a relatively cheap cab ride (which would be something to consider if you head east from the Convention Center after the days' events to eat, drink, and/or be merry).

It's been my experience that many downtown hotels will vouch for you parking (in their lot) if you are a guest.

10. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ummm Brian, Courtyard Mariott is west of the Convention Center.....Ok, 2 blocks west, one north.

11. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Well Shara, I think you went to the wrong part of town to be honest. Atltanta is usually hoping in downtown until about 1AM. I agree with you about being rude, but we aren't all like that. Sounds like you had a bad experience. If you visit again, let me know. Atlanta FanForce is full of southern hospitality.

12. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Cari - Pa-tay-toe, Pa-tah-toe. :D

13. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Oh great - now this means when I go to Celeb2 I'll have a hundred people asking me for directions! It happens in every city I visit.

And the scary part - I CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION!! I was asked directions in Boston last year while on vacation. Do I look like a local that much? But I knew where they wanted to go, so I told them. Frightening.

14. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    There's a big Scottish Festival at Stone Mountain (isn't that name a little redundant?) every year and Z and I went last year. I think the chief of my Clan goes every year. We're considering going, because despite his complaining, Z had a good time. I just need to get out of Indy. Everytime I do leave, it's not a vacation or anything. Once I stop working at the museum, I don't think I'll be in town on weekends all that much.

If we come down there, Ian, I'll let you know.

15. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I have several friends who go to the festival every year. Yeah, I think the redundant redundancy committee named it myself ;) . Any chance folks from the Indy Knights might be coming down for DragonCon? You'll find better hospitality there for sure. Lot's of SW stuff going this year.

16. RazzberryRain

RazzberryRain Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2001
    Hi! I am hoping to attend the Celebration, but I have a question. Most conventions give you discounts if you agree to help out by working at registration and such. Is this true with the Celebration? Thank you!

17. Duran_Filewn

Duran_Filewn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2001

Hey everyone, I am from down here around Louisville, and me and about six of my friends are coming up for the celebration. We were just wondering if anyone had any recent news about ticket sales... where? or when? If anybody has any news I'll be watching for it. Thanks and I hope to see you all next May

18. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    To those last two questions I can only say this.......

We should have some more info in August some time. I don't exact dates for the info yet. Keep watching this forum and the Indy Knights web site and of course the TF.n main page for any updates.

I would imagine that there won't be any talk of ticket sales or anything until sometime after the first of the year.

19. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    Uppers du jour... :)

20. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    EXCELLENT!

Thanks for all of the links!

Keep 'em coming!

21. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Uppers, yet again. :)

22. StarDestroyer52

StarDestroyer52 Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2001
    is the convention cwter hiring people to work inside or do they have people already to do it?

23. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Since DarthSox asked almost the same question, I thought I'd throw the ole' fishing line into the waters of obscurity and yank this thread back up to the top.

It's a good question: what should a potential volunteer do to find info on this? Ron? Dawn? Cari? Queenie? ;)

24. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ask one of us?

25. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Hmmm... I can see it now: hundreds of volunteers sending e-mails simultaneously to the Council members, overloading their mailboxes and causing mass chaos.

:)

Or, maybe some general info could be posted here, with only specific, unanswered questions having to go the the Masters...? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.