main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration 3... Boston?

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by JediGaladriel, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    My thread on Arisia took an odd turn, and got to talking about bringing Celebration 3 to the Hub, or maybe to someplace nearby. I just sent the following e-mail to the Chamber of Commerce:

A group of fans is considering trying to get a major sf convention to come to Boston, probably in 2003 or 2004, and we'd like to put together a nice proposal to the company that runs the cons. Does the CoC have a marketing package that is sent to entice companies and organizations to hold their conventions here?

If so, how do I obtain it, or what would be the proper sequence of events?

We are only beginning to talk about this at the moment, gathering information to see if the idea is even feasible.

Thank you.

Anyway, we'll see about what the general Boston pitch is. What specific reasons should we bring a SW con here?

2. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    Boston needs to have a pick me up from what happened back in september because the planes came from here. Also because the big dig is making the city turn into a war zone. We need something positive here.

3. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Yeah. We really do need something big. A Star Wars Celebration is, to say the least, something big.

4. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I think those are good reasons we want it; I don't think they'll fly with WotC. We have to show them why it's in their interest, why, in fact, it's the best possible choice they could make, despite the expense of the Northeast, the lack of parking, etc.

What makes Boston a good SW town? I don't know much about the fan community here; I've been more a general 'net fan than a Boston fan (though I write with a woman from the area). Is it a fairly large group? Do we have an organized fan club? What are its numbers?

I can do eyewitness testimony to the fact that theaters were absolutely packed and sold out on the TPM re-release (my friend and I were really squeezed into the back of the theater, though, of course, it was a small one), and even during the general release, it was pretty crowded a few months after after release. That's a good sign that it's well-loved here. After all, we've seen that lots of movies break records on their first weekend; what they're doing months later is the real test of how well they're liked.

We have a lot of nice public spaces (the Public Garden, the Common, etc), which -- depending on how it works -- could be used for fun outdoor things. (Probably shouldn't point out the unpredictable weather.)

Episode III, along with the fall of Anakin and the Republic, will probably show the beginning of the Rebellion, and what better place to start a Rebellion than in Boston, Massachusetts? (Heck, even if it's not actually shown in Epi3, it's implied...)

5. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001

Boston has been trying to get tourism up for awhile now,an event of this size brings people from all over the world!!

Boston is a good central point for all of New England.

the con's are what, around the same time as the movie premeires, right?
    So,hopefully by the time Episode III/Celebration III the big dig should be (or mostly,please God!!)done.

Historic Event/Historic City
    This could possibly be the last SW Celebration.what better place to have it?!?!

6. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Its a good location for Eurpean Fans to come to.

7. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    good point.

8. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    I can do a search on AOL, and get some people to throw their support?

9. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    Wait a minute! Natalie Portman goes to Harvard! SHe wouldn't have to travel far :p !

I like your idea Galadrial, about our Rebelious city and the start of the Rebel alliance. Thats a good one.

YEah, and the Big Dig is the largest construction project EVER, so you'd think we would want to show it off!

10. TIEace

Nov 27, 2000
    But we don't :p.

11. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    I think we just want the Big Dig finished. :) What're the chances of it being done before Celebration 3 could be held?

12. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Well celebration III wouldn't be for another 3 years,so I say we have a good chance of it being done,or very close to it.

13. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I wouldn't bet on it. From my understanding it's more like five or six years.

Love the celebration idea, I think it would be huge hit!

14. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    Maybe we could poll a hundred or so people in different areas in the city and see what percentage are SW fans. I'm not joking [face_plain]

15. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    Perhaps each of us could do a poll in our respective schools. It'd get a wider view of the fandom in the area.

16. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Well I have a feeling that Wotc will probably want a good sized headcount of fans in the area.We may have to poll all of New England.But I'm sure that if they hear we may have a chance for it,they'll all sign on.(hopefully)

17. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Reason to hold it in Boston?

ME.

18. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    I don't think we have the manpower to poll all of New England.

19. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    No I dont either,but thats where the internet comes in handy ;)

20. TIEace

Nov 27, 2000
    As I said, I'll do an AOL search.

21. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I wonder if the distribution company (TC Fox) or the theater chains (Loews, General Cinema, etc) would keep regional statistics on box office, to help them decide where certain things might play.

22. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    I think each of us could set up in random areas of Boston and poll 100 people. They do it that way on the news all the time.

23. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    I think we should do it in our schools/work places as well.

24. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

25. TIEace

Nov 27, 2000
    Hmm...I think Mike is trying to tell us something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.