main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration 4 - Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Taeriel, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005

Me too! Me too!

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Oddly enough... A couple of people have talked to me about this little event... [face_mischief]

3. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    I just cant wait

4. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    I'm going to Mexico instead!

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ok, assuming it's in LA, I was guessing it would be in the LA Convention Center. They've got the list of currently booked conventions for April 2007, and I honestly don't know when they'd squeeze in C4, there's so much going on already.

However I headed to the city of LA tourist site and ran a search for hotels near the center...

The Figueroa Hotel Very popular 12 story 285 room hotel located in the best part of downtown next to Staples and Convention Center. Realistic prices. Exotic Verandah bar, pool and jacuzzi. Eclectic party venues 50 to 2000 guests.

Accommodations Room Rate High $170.00
    Accommodations Room Rate Low $98.00
    Accommodations Suite Rate High $225.00
    Accommodations Suite Rate Low $175.00

That's where I want to stay :D I did some searching for personal reviews and most say that the beds are comfy, the pool and cabana bar there are awesome, and the staff friendly. Also the owner likes to hang out there and make sure his guests are happy. :)

I'm making a list of different hotels within a mile of the center. When I'm done with it I'll let you all know.

I also sometimes get hotel managers on the phone at work that tell me to ask for them if I'm ever at their hotel, they mention anywhere from free suite to a good price, so I'll talk to an Adelphia customer in the area and ask for their recommendations too. And maybe I can get a killer price ;)

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    April? I thought the rumor was that it'd be in May?

Even so, if it's in April, maybe it's already planned, but it's one of those undercover Blue Harvest kinda thingies? Like "Blue Harvest Con -- Horrifying Prices Beyond Imagination"...?

7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    ok that sounds good...i am in. where ever....AND just think kids southwest now flies out of denver.[face_dancing]

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    It could be in may, but I checked that month too and there weren't really any that could be it...

9. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    How did you check either April or May of 2007? When I look at the LA convention center webpage for their schedule of events, it only goes through Jan 2007. Nowhere near the relevent timeframe. :confused:

10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Ok, the bad new is this - as nearly as I can tell, there are no Embassy Suites hotels anywhere near the LA Convention center. I mean, we're talking miles and miles away.

I really need to remember the name of the hotel we stayed at when I was there for work a couple of years ago... because this place should be avoided at ALL costs. After calling twice ahead of our arrival to confirm our reservations, we got there and they had no idea who we were and didn't have any record of our reservations - even when we gave them the confirmation number. After over an hour of wrangling with them, they finally found our reservation. And we discovered that the reason they'd lost it was because they used index cards for their reservation file system. I kid you not. [face_plain]

Problem is, I did research on most of the hotels near the convention center for that trip, so a lot of the names now sound familiar to me. [face_plain]

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Hotels within 0.5 miles of the LA Convention Center, with map... Dang. It won't let me put in the long link. Er, well, 1. go to mapquest, 2. input convention center address (1201 south figueroa st, los angeles, ca), 3. at top of the resulting map, ask for a search for nearby hotels.

Hotel #1: I strongly vote against hotel #1, Morrison hotel. Morrison Hotel Owners Sauli and Henry Danpour Sentenced! Must control vermin, relocate tenants, or face jail time.

Hotel #2: Hotel Oviatt - seems to also be listed under apartments for rent??

Hotel #3: Holiday Inn. Meh. Sadly, the best of the list so far. [face_plain]

Hotel #4: Figueroa Hotel, the one JGoC listed above; it's 0.29 miles from the con.

Hotel # 5: Kent Inn Hotel. I can't seem to find anything on this place...?

Who am I kidding...? If Celebration 4 is at the LA Convention Center, we are just so screwed... :_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

Hmm. Stillwell Hotel. That one sounds slightly more familiar than the rest. I wonder if that was where we stayed for that APS conference?

Let's see. There's a Hyatt 0.64 miles away. There's a Hilton 0.87 miles away. The Westin and the Mariott are 1 mile away. :(

12. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I know that there has been a school of thought saying that C4 won't be big as C3 - that's probably true. The next conclusion people come to is that there won't be a scramble for hotels because of this... but honestly, if the con is at the LA convention center, I really think there WILL BE a scramble, because there ARE NO hotels to speak of. If this is the case... honestly, I really think we need to be prepared with a firm decision of what we want to get, before the announcement is made.

Hm. The SF convention center doesn't list anything for memorial weekend 2007. I wonder if that's because it isn't listing something, or because it's only listing things 1 year in advance?

I can't find anything that looks SW related on the LA convention list site, but as was pointed out earlier, it might be under wraps.

13. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You won't see anything, anywhere until it is actually announced by official sources

14. e1jnky

e1jnky Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2004
    When the heck are they gonna announce this thing????? I am diying to know! Whenever and wherever, you can deffinatly add my name to the list! I will not be missing this one.

15. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Word has it around the 25th. Patience, young padawan. ;)

Having travelled to the town where it will be several times in the past 5 years, I assure you that hotels and parking are not a problem.

16. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Soooooooooo cryptic Cos. LOL!

17. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes. How helpful. [face_plain]

18. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Holiday inn may be an option, and the one I listed, when you look at a picture of the staples center you can actually see it from there. It's one block away. Plus I think we'd get the best deal there because the owner seems so involved. If we make the arrangements through him.

All the really nice hotels seem so far away!!! :_|

19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    just as long as there is a nice manager's reception. ha ha ha ha

20. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Even better, they have a pool side cabana bar... and apparently one of the best bar tenders.. :D

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    If the 'rumors' are true then we only have 2 days or 1 & 1/2 days until they broadcast it. I think I can wait & if it's LA, I'm not going to be happy with everything that I've heard about it so far [face_plain]

22. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Here are a list of hotels near the convention center.

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I think I are gonna to go where are the convention is.

24. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Keep throwing it in our faces, you know how much I love that. So is tomorrow still the day they are going to announce it? If so where, the force .net?

25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    During the Q&A session, someone asked him if there would be a Celebration 4 in 2007 and he gave a very definite "YES"! There has been much talk and rumor concerning another Celebration, but I hadn't heard anything officially confirmed until Rick announced it this past Saturday. He said that they don't know as yet where it will be, but there will be another Celebration in 2007!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.