main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration 4 - Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Taeriel, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    hey all!!!!! we got net at the fan force table. so according to some mods we have the coolest FF around!!

we got denning and traviss to sign the bird too!!

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Denning and Steve Sansweet were hanging out at the table today too. :D

I got to see the full rough cut of 5-25-77 yesterday. Awesome movie. I also saw 45 minutes of the upcoming movie Fanboys - probably the best fan movie I've ever seen. Carrie Fisher's in it, along with Billy Dee, Shatner, and a few others I think. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

3. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Cool. Ray Park is in there for a few seconds.

4. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Keep the info coming!! Shane said he got a picture of Anthony Daniels holding a Yoda hat :D Can't wait to see it.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol, I saw the pic. He's holding it like it smells or something.

I just got out of the Clone Wars panel. Got to see a trailer for it, twice! It's like they took the previous animated series and made it into a 3D CG version. The characters look similar, but with more of the look and feel of the movies. Really awesome stuff! Got a free poster too.

6. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Yeah, they have the trailer up on starwars.com. It has potential

Error: Only 1 frakin message post per minute is frakin allowed. frak the OPPM kity.

7. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    So today is the last day. How do you guys compare this celebration compared to the other 3, especially without a new film on the horizon? Was it just as exciting? It's been in the back of my mind all weekend and have been a tad bummed for not going. But we did watch A New Hope Friday and my wife let me place up a little shrine on the mantle.

8. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    this one is more fun fore me personally because we do not have another movie. its not rushing around panel to panel to see all the new stuff. i am having way more fun hanging out with everyone i know from around the world.

9. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Lines? What lines? I know nothing about lines. [face_devil]

Walking SUCKED... WAY TOO MUCH WALKING /which is just another reason for them to have it in Denver where everything is close to the convention center/

Also, L.A. is frakin' expensive. [face_not_talking]

Other than that? Everything (excluding the bomb scare Friday night) was fantastic. RL photo went off without a hitch, eventually got our Rogue Squadron Comic book recreation photo done. Met some new celebrities. Made a fantastic friend at LFL. Got some amazing news. Confirmed that there will be another Celebration (not sure if 2 years or 3 yet). Picked up a few things for those unable to attend. Pimped out all of my friends' mad costuming/prop skills, and maybe found our fearless leader a distributor for her Yoda wares (and a new idea for a hat, too).

Other than the fact that I wasn't able to get away from the X-Wing for longer than it took to cram a cheeseburger down my throat, or run to the ATM, and my legs & feet will be punishing me for the next few weeks, I have to say it was a rousing success.

And now to start working on the proposal to get CV in DENVER!

10. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Ah-Hem, Zoo, I don't see anything about a certain photo you were supposed to get for me of many ladies wearing my design! o_O

11. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Well... Many ladies were wearing your design Friday when we were originally going to take the picture, but were too funky for James Brown by the time we actually could take it Sunday. However... We did do something REALLY special for you. :) And as soon as they send the pix (& the something special) you will be the first to see them :D [face_devil]

12. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
  13. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Also... Keep your eyes on this site. This is the guy who took all the group photos over the course of the weekend, so stay tuned

14. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Cool pics. I got the abridged Ninja version of the con tonight. Sounded like they had fun, although most of the clan wasn't there, so it was too quiet. Keeka's son got to go on stage on beat on Vader with a lightsaber, so it's all good. :D

15. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Dang it!!! You gotta fill me in on what this is about!

16. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yay! [face_dancing] It's Britt's photos!!!! :D

17. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh, and by the way... Your excuse for not being able to attend has pretty much made you their favorite guy ever. ;)

18. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Without photographs... There is no proof. [face_mischief]

Besides, the bruises have almost faded now

19. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Haveing not attended previous Celebrations, I can give you my impressions based on SDCC and what prior Celebration attendees said:

The Good:

Space was well managed almost everywhere.
    Celebration store was HUuuuuUGE --I'll post pics of how open it was. This was almost crazy wasted space, and that is NOT a complaint, based on prior horror stories.
    RL shoot went off great.
    RFT shoot went off great, after dealing with the security-nazis. (not so good)
    Entry to and from the con site was awesome.
    Awesome roommates!!!!
    Meeting RSA's, GSA's and old friends from 'way back in the day'
    Partying with said friends, friends from the RMFF, and new friends from all over the globe.

And most importantly, NO DRAMA!!!!!!!

The Bad:

Space was not managed well at the vendor/merchandise hall: this was the one crowded area.
    It seemed like there were not very meny vendors.
    Selling exclusives in the crowded merchandise hall made for bad juju when the doors opened. Everyone running all over themselves to get to the exclusives and the fire marshal breaking up existing lines. This ticked a LOT of people off.
    Bomb threat Friday night, which made security go nazi-like sat morning for the Leia and RFT shoots, really jacking things up.
    Lots and lots of walking.
    The shuttle service was iffy, not on a regular schedule and since my hotel was the last one on the line, I got passed by about 5 buses while waiting outside in Tusken Raider costume Sunday morning. :mad: So I walked, again. [face_plain]
    There was nothing really groundbreaking announced, especially at the opening night ceremonies.
    In fact, the Friday night opening ceremonies basically sucked. It was cheesy, campy, had really, really bad stage direction, and was a sales pitch for upcoming games and the 4 big stages they had. And the Boba Fett jet pack dude was really, really loud. (I was about 10 feet from his launch site --ouch).
    Scheduling the slave Leia shoot inside the aforementioned crowded merchandise room was stupid.
    Not allowing for space for all photographers (not just press) at the big photo shoots --501st and Slave Leia (we did it right for the RL one)
    No real stars or big names, unless you wanted to pay to see Carrie. [face_plain]

Solutions for the future:

All exclusives should be sold at the Celebration store.
    When doing a large group photo, set it up at a place where you can allow the maximum number of photographers to shoot the scene. Then after you have your shots, keep the troops there, then rotate through the throng of photographers, and re-shoot. Do this at least 3 times so everyone can stand a chance of getting a shot.
    After the big 501st shoot, they should've used the entry stairs and set up sections for TKs, TDs, Denizens, Clones, etc so they could do the individual group shots on the stairs, then bring in the RL and Jedi Assembly. (Basically after we were done with the main group shot it was a flustercluck. [face_plain])

What a blast--I can't wait for the next one!!!

20. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    I had a great time this last weekend. I must say every Celebration I have been to is very different. This one was a little strange with no movie coming out, but still very fun. I saw most everyone from the group there, but I was hanging out with my friend that works at LEGO land. I was actually at the LEGO fan table quite a bit. He also got me in early every morning with his exhibitor badge. So no standing in line to get in for me.

Fan Boys looks like it is going to be really good, I can?t wait! I saw the robot Chicken Presentation and the Family Guy presentation. That was really fun.

Saw Daniel Logan with a couple of ladies hanging off of him during the bomb scare on the street. I also snagged a piece of LAPD police tape. I hate Gentle Giants, horrible customer service. I mean really horrible, also they do not know how to handle a large line. Hasbro has some really cool new stuff coming out later this year. Best of all, there were no lines. The longest line I had to stand in was about 10 minutes and that was it. No 2 or 3 hour lines this time. Also the Celebration store had no line either. This was great in my opinion.

Overall I had a really great time and I hope that CV is not in LA again, LA is just to spread out. Come to Denver I say, with the new convention center it won?t be like CI. I heard a report that 25000 to 30000 people showed up, which is about the same as CII and CIII.

I have many pictures, which I will upload over the next week. But I will get the pic of Anthony Daniels hold the Yoda Hat up ASAP.

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, iirc, the C3 attendees was something between 44,000 to 46,000 people depending on who reported it.

Did you heckle Daniel Logan just for old time's sake? [face_devil]

22. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    No but I wonder if he would even remember Star Fest.

23. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    c4 = awesomeness

I had so much fun. The Kessel Run was awesome too

24. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    C4 was a blast. I probably had the most fun meeting so many new people. I'll post a more detailed log when I am not so tired.

25. SandyShortsTusken

SandyShortsTusken Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2003
    After the "haze" he accumulated at Star Fest's Saturday night, you mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.