main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Celebration 4 Trip Meeting

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Dooks, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    OK now that we have a ball park figure of who wants to got it's time to start planning. Things like hotel, flights, who's rooming with who, who doesn't want to room, and all that fun stuff. Since everyone is still buzzing from the anouncment anyone that is FOR SURE going to be in LA May 24th to May 28th 2007 for this please come to the meeting.

Now your asking where is this meeting and it will take place Monday June 5th at 6:30ish so please meet at RED 5 and we will most likely go next door to the Lemon Garden. Basically for some food and discussion about the big trip and this meeting is open to both FanForce and Badlands members that are planning to attend the convention. Once we know who is for sure going that will get this ball rolling and from my experience at C3 this is the best Star Wars Expericence EVER!!!!!. We can also bat around the idea of t-shirts for the con to represent the great city we all come from all kinds of fun stuff like that. Please come out and feel free to post if you plan to attend.

Thanks
    Dooks

Tosche Station Invades LA in 2007

2. Tabularo

Tabularo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. This is one meeting I can attend! Yay!

3. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I should be able to make the meeting. This should be cool getting organized as a group. Way to go for having the insight and dedication to do this.[face_dancing]

4. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Also send praise to the good Dr.Haggis aswell for this brainstorm.

5. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Good call Dr. Haggis!

I will definetely be there (hopefully w/ hotel reservations;) )

6. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    I emailed the Holiday Inn today to get further details on a group booking so I'll keep everyone posted.

7. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I'll be coming, but I might not be able to make it until closer to 7. If you're heading somewhere other than Lemon Garden, can you please post in on the door to Red 5? (And please... not BP!)

8. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I'll be there too!

Jen

9. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    See you Monday guys!

10. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I'll be there!

11. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Updated the web page with this info. Let me know if I need to add anything.

12. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    i'll be there

13. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    A meeting I can actually--GASP!--attend?

I'm there.

~StacyD(Dooks the Elder)

14. ima_clone

ima_clone Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2006
    can i come to the meeting even though i'm not a full fledged member of tosche station? I finally moved to calgary (from Toronto), and am looking forward to meeting you guys.

15. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Sure. If your coming to C4 then be there.

16. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Meeting tonight see those that are attending.

17. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Obviously I can't be there.....but if you can put me down for definitely going to C4 I would appreciate it! I'm also in for going earlier to take in the whole week.

I may or may not need a roomie. I'm going to talk to my husband and see if he wants to go. He could get in a whole lot of golfing while I troop!

18. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Meeting minutes:

Hotel: We will be booking a block of rooms at a common hotel. R.Dooks will be our Hotel Liaison. Let him know over the next week how many rooms we need. Arrange sleeping arrangements amongst yourselves.

Flights: Boba Jay will be getting a group rate quote at West Jet. Those not flying with that group will be "every man for himself"

Passports: A requirement to cross the border in the modern age. See The Canadian Passport office for details.

Volunteering: We will volunteer as a group once that information is posted. Events like this do not happen without volunteers.

T-shirts and Swag: We have an "in" at a printer. Do we want patches and buttons? These details to be settled later in the year.

Disneyland: Some members will be going down early to take part in the Star Wars activities promised at Disneyland. Check the boards for details as this develops.

Tips:

It is recommended not to fly down with a prop gun in ones luggage. Saber hilts and toy guns should be ok in checked bags. Know before you go. According to the Department of Homeland Security, bringing a prohibited item to a security checkpoint - even accidentally - is illegal.

The store at Celebration may offer a service to ship your purchases home. This is notoriously unreliable, and it is best to find a FedEx/UPS depot through the hotel or otherwise non-affiliated with the convention.

-end transmission-

19. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    I think I might have mentioned this before, but apparently it's a good idea to put a picture of you in your costume with your weapon on the top of the costume in your suitcase. That way if they open it they immediately get the idea...hopefully.....perhaps.

20. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Ok here's an update as BobaJay talked to Westjet about the group rate which was the March price and he was told to call next month for May. The price was $464.16 per person return and each person has a deposit of $50.00 non-refundable and the rest of the money for airfair is due 1 month prior to flying. So then that brings up the question what day do we fly as a group? or do we all fly separate and meet up down there.

On the hotel front I'll be looking into the following hotels which are 0.2 to 0.8 miles away from the convention center. Los Angles Holiday Inn downtown, The Ritz Milner, Hyatt Regency, Sheraton Downtown, and Quality Inn & Suites Downtown. So please if you weren't at the meeting and would like to go please PM me or post by this coming Sunday because after that I'll be going with the numbers from the meeting.

21. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Thanks for the quick update.

22. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    I hope I don't sound like too much of a princess here, but the Quality Inn and Suites doesn't sound like a place I would want to stay at all - unclean and potentially unsafe. Sure, people with bad experiences are maybe more likely to post a review, but there are plenty of budget hotels in the world that don't end up with these sort of comments:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d142249-r5203841-Quality_Inn_Suites_Downtown-Los_Angeles_California.html
    or
    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-344772-prod-hotel-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AkvU0HeC.S1X5AU0AO2y1m3iphQB

The Holiday Inn, on the other hand, sounds like a decent place with ok reviews:
    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-357918-holiday_inn_los_angeles_city_center-i;_ylt=AlJHTD75nkLiiJIKz95V.nb8xmoA
    or
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77787-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Los_Angeles_City_Center-Los_Angeles_California.htm

The Ritz Milner has just 17 rooms, so I doubt it would be included in the convention block rooms and the odds we could book up 50% of it would seem slim to me. It doesn't look quite as shady as the Quality Inn.

Don't you think we should be checking the Figueroa as well?

23. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    My reading has The Ritz Milner as a 12-story hotel with 137 rooms, two blocks from the Convention centre. Could be ok.

24. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    You're probably right - after I posted that I looked at the picture of the hotel and wondered how 17 rooms could be correct.

25. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Ok email the following hotels about group rates Holiday Inn, Sheraton, and Ritz Milner so here's hoping I'll hear from them tomorrow. As for the final number of people I'll post that later and that is going to be the final C4 roster so if anyone is having second thoughts please let it be known. I'm also going to call a few places tomorrow but alot still seem to not be booking so far in advance. I'll post again tomorrow with any news I'm able to get.

Ok going with the final tally of 20 people and I'll start calling places tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.