main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Celebration 4

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Figured I'd get the rumor mill up and running since the "Official Announcement" should be coming next month.

Right now the current "take it with a grain of rice" rumor is for C4 to be in Los Angeles May 24-27.

It's supposed to be linked to an agent, or Ray Parks or something like that and came out of Comic Con this past Friday.

So, thats the rumor for now and I'll let it go at that.

2. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Gah! You're too fast for me! I was just coming over here to post this!! Oh,well. Let's hope it stays just a rumor. I don't wanna go to LA.

3. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    I don't want it to be in LA either. The last rumor I heard was Dallas and I was really hoping for that!

4. Korvyn

Korvyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    dallas would be sooooo sweet.

5. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    I hope not LA!

Dallas would be awesome.

6. Lavenderrose73

Lavenderrose73 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2005
    I agree. I don't care if I am from California; I don't want to go to LA. I'd rather it be a friendlier area, like Indy was.

Lavenderrose @};-

7. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    I don't think I'm driving--too much wasted time.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&1a=&1c=LITTLE%20ROCK&1s=AR&1z=72211&1y=US&1l=ltC7Fq2870c%3d&1g=n2vYbSFAC0A%3d&1pn=&1pl=&1v=ZIP&1ffi=&1n=PULASKI%20COUNTY&1qn=&2a=&2c=Los%20Angeles&2s=CA&2z=&2y=US&2l=8nImm4KrXJU%3d&2g=3nkZedLN4JOwTPpaJ8s0aw%3d%3d&2pl=&2v=CITY&2ffi=&2n=Los%20Angeles%20County&2qn=Los%20Angeles%20convention%20center&panelbtn=2&1qc=&q=Los%20Angeles%20convention%20center&2pn=Los%20Angeles%20convention%20center&2sb=Los%20Angeles%20Convention%20Ctr%7c1201%20S%20Figueroa%20St%7cLos%20Angeles%7cCA%7c90015%7c340421%7c%2d1182665%7c213%2d741%2d1151%7cUS&2qc=City%20Government

Total Est. Time: 23 hours, 46 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1669.00 miles

Actually that isn't that much further than Utah, and if we have at least 3 drivers per vehicle...
    ...and don't stop overnight...
    ...and share gas money...

Let's see:
    24 hours X your salary=?
    ...or if you leave after work one day and drive overnight and get there the next evening:
    8 hours X your salary=?
    + 1700 miles at 25MPG =68
    68 gallons X $4 gas=$242
    $242 / 3-4 people per vehicle=$91 or $68 respectively per person
    8xsalary+$91=less than flying and worth the extra time and uncomfortable ride?
    Maybe.

8. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Well, I will have a 7-month old kid with me, so I'll be flying. Sorry, guys.

9. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20060526.html

i think its fairly official now :)

i think i may go to this one too :)

10. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    Well, I will have a 7-month old kid with me, so I'll be flying. Sorry, guys....

Sorry nothing! I have no desire to drive either. I truly believe that would be a strain for anyone if they didn't stop, even if there were 3 drivers. I believe I would be too tired to enjoy Celebration IV to the fullest if I tried that... Dodge, the link you left didn't seem to work. It just sends us to the place to enter a starting and ending address. I tried to do the same thing you must have done and it did the same thing. Here's a more direct link that would tell you where and how to get to the L.A. Convention Center. It's from My Yahoo Places:

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=1310+Smithwick+Dr+Apt+64&taddr=1201+South+Figueroa+Street&csz=72076&%20country=us&tcsz=Los+Angeles%2C+CA+90015&tcountry=us&name=Barbara&tname=Celebration+IV

I copied/pasted it onto another browser, and even signed out of yahoo it worked, so it should work for you too. Although, diss the part where it says to turn off the 40 in Dallas and stay on it till you get to California. According to Mapquest, I-40 becomes I-15 South. The two differ a bit and according to Yahoo, the distance is 1694.1 miles and the Approximate Travel Time is 22 hours and 56 mins. If you prefer mapquest (which I like that layout better anyway), just go to the other link and put 1201 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90015 as the finishing point address. That's the convention Center.

...and don't forget the time to eat and get more gas, those of you who plan on driving.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

11. ChaseKeJac

ChaseKeJac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2006
    Well, Another option is there's a bus coming thru from the 327th Star Corp (see Invader or locokarma). It's be about $275 p/person round trip. Just another option for those wanting to go. I myself will be taking a youngling so flying will be my option also. If any of you are interested, the 327th is getting a block of rooms, I'd be happy to book some for anyone wanting to have me do so.

12. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    Ummm, it might sound like a good idea if I don't have school. If I take 3 classes here and there instead of 2 between now and then, I might finish by then (but then, the graduation commencement could be a problem). Hey, let me sleep on it. Oh, and by the way, I believe flights are around $350 round trip if you book far enough in advance, so make sure that hotel/motel stays and food expenses don't defeat the purpose.

13. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    This stinks, I'm from Cali. too but I don't wanna go all the way back to L.A. for this.
    Guess I'll be waiting for the next one.

14. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    You're not going to go?!?! Although born and raised in California myself, I don't like it either, but I can't miss Celebration IV! I could have the right mind to request my degree be mailed to me and pass up walking with my class at Graduation if that's what it takes to make it! Only a death in the family (Heaven forbid) could stop me.

@};-

15. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Lavender...

Relax. I'm sure as the time gets closer you'll be able to find someone to travel with.

It's a bit early to be planning right now.

Just keep an eye on the boards and be patient.

[face_pig]

16. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    I know. I'm just sorry that someone won't make it due to the location. I wasn't fussing about that stuff here. And I know it will be awhile before we can book stuff. It's just heavily on my mind right now because of the recent announcement...

give me a little credit, please.

@};-

17. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    http://www.laconventioninn.com/

It looks like this hotel is the closest thing to the convention center... and its nearly a mile away... I've been looking for one closer... if there is one that is closer... google isn't finding it...

If anyone finds anything closer post it on here...

18. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    What about the Figueroa Hotel which is only a block away? Here's some informatin on it:

939 S. Figueroa St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90015

Toll-free: 800-421-9092
    Phone: 213-627-8971
    Fax: 213-689-0305
    E-mail: unofig@aol.com

@};-

P.S. Although we may not be able to do anything as of yet, there's the information for future reference. I'll bet it'll have block rooms.

19. locokarma

locokarma Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    I will probably fly out there as well...

20. Astiateu

Astiateu Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2006
    We'll be going, but flying in and staying in Riverside, where I grew up. We'll just commute into LA.

21. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    Whoa, quite the drive each day? Well, if you happen to run into a perfect stranger and his name happens to be Dan Deghi, tell him Barbara Altis said hi.

@};-

22. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    You guys realize that everyone else in the country is looking at the closest hotels.
    I'd say (assuming they take bookings this far in advance) that the first two or three hotels nearest the convo center will be booked up before the end of the year.
    So if you're like me and you're not 100% sure what your financial situation will be in the summer of 2007 and can't book anything until a few months out, you probably won't be able to find anything within 10 miles of the place.

It's just too much trouble for me, even if I could ever imagine having the kind of money to fly somewhere, stay a few nights in some couple hundred dollar a night California hotel and then spend gobs on convention priced merchandice.
    Especially when my wife would probably just bitch and moan about it, if I managed to drag her to it.

23. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Don't mitch and boan too much people. The con hotels are blocked for convention-goers. They will become available with your con tickets--that is how they did it last time. Barring any major web/computer snafoos, you will get some kind of code to be able to reserve rooms when you get your con tickets...

...also, don't be so pessimistic. I stayed in the burbs 30 min from the con in Indy and still enjoyed myself. Parking was kinda expensive, but we had three in our car and shared all those type expenses, so it didn't end up being that much...

The thing that really cost me that I could be more careful of if I want is food, and I didn't really eat at the Con--I had breakfast and Conned all day and then had a late dinner...

Besides, if you can't afford this one, just wait for the next one. Maybe it will be in Dallas!

24. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Go dodge...

Folks, chill...we'll just have to see what happens.

If the con store is claiming to be open round the clock...(rumor I read somewhere)
    Then there'll be plenty of con time to be had by all.

They are also claiming on the con site to have shuttles running cause of the lack of downtown hotels.

All you really do is sleep there so we can cram many into one room?

Just relax. Wait and see. Those of us who want to go...we'll get there. We'll have a place to sleep. We'lll have a great time.

RELAX. Go to the Cantina and order yourself a drink...
    [face_pig]

25. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    I plan to tag a room, but I don't mind sharing it. Let's just see if I manage to get a 2 bed hotel room. Others planning on tagging a room for multiple people? Jaira? You and your kids?...Note: Not having a cow or "mitching and boaning..."; just kicking around a few ideas for future reference. Jaira, I'm the oldest of 4 and my mother had a daycare, so I'm sure I can handle your bundle if you're concerned about a room or about the baby crying or something.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.