main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Celebration 5 Rumours?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Styrofoam_Guy, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Latest rumours is that it will be in Chicago next year. Seems a bit soon after C4

2. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    In Chicago?

I've heard rumours that the LA Convention Center actually signed on for a couple more years for future cons...

Hmmm... [face_thinking]

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Its probably to celebrate TPM's 10th Anniversary.

4. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I also heard the LA Convention thing and I hope it is wrong

5. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Dang straight Alex, if it's in Chicago then sign me up! Well, assuming I have the money for it. But LA, blah, probably not. :(

6. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Well I heard something about how crappy CIV was and that there are lawsuits floating around. Who knows.

7. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I heard there was a lawsuit between Lucas and GenCon who ran the convention. I was at C3 and they did a terrible job with the store

8. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Did gencon do CIV too?

9. Sirene

Oct 25, 2005
    Yeah they did and they did a terrible job with badges etc. Mine was supposed to be mailed to a US address and it never showed up, however the other badge that was to be mailed to that address arrived without issue. When I got to Will Call though it was fine.

The store was way overstocked. I have heard that CIV wasn't as well attended as CIII simply because LA is too difficult for people to get to and too expensive.

10. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    C4 would have been around $2000 for me to go with a droid. It was also one more day then C3 = another hotel night.

I thought they chose LA so they could have more big name guests but it didn't seem that way.

C3 was packed and the lines for the stores were insanely long. The way the Gencon people ran it was slow and inefficient making the lines longer then they should have been. Then the exclusive items were availabel online. Some people spent a whole day in line to buy stuff.

Some vendors also had exclusives C3 items but they were scooped up by other vendors who are allowed in early. Joe public never had a chance at them. One specific case is the Gentle Giant C3 Exclusive Sandtrooper Bust. A friend wanted one and could not go so I told him I would try and get one. Being in the R2 Builders display we got in before the public. After getting our display ready a few of us went down to line up. We thought we were 10th in line but when the lineup to the room opened suddently we were something line 150th in line as other vendors had alread lined up inside the vendor room.

11. Sirene

Oct 25, 2005
    Well, as a volunteer for CIV I was able to line up inside before the GP got in, I guess volunteering does have its benefits. I was able to get the Hasboro figures quite early in the day. I did note that the lineups for exclusive figures - aside from Hasboro - weren't too bad.

12. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Yah I heard they didn't really have many celebs at all compared to celebrations of the past.

Also, I have never been to LA, but everything I have heard is it is a terrible city to hold a convention in. I was very disapointed to hear they planned to continue them there.

13. Sirene

Oct 25, 2005
    Well I stayed in a hotel which was just at the edge of walking distance if you didn't have a costume. One night I woke up to helicopters, sirens and someone on a loudspeaker yelling 'Come out with your hands up!!' (I am *NOT* kidding). If CV is going to be in LA, I am most likely not going.

14. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    C4 was great in LA. I'd defiantly go back to LA. Sure some volunteers got to line up early but Everybody I went down with got the exclusives they wanted. There was 16+ of us from Calgary that went. The downtown core of La has no real nightlife as most people leave to go home. Finding a restaurant at night was challenging but we had found a nice Irish pub to make our home base most nights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.