main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration Europe 2....? / discuss ;-)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by edgejedi, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edgejedi

edgejedi Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2004
    The old CE boards here on FF are locked down, so i thought I'd stat a new thread...Its gonna be another year of great events across the world, but my massive interest would be on a CE 2. But this time I would endeavour not to run around working, but to enjoy it!

Ive read all sorts of speculation about CE2, but wondered if anyone would like to add their own speculations too. We seem to do this well. ;)

Am I geting excited about nowt? :rolleyes:

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It might be in another city this time. London is great and known but it is expensive. Plus I heard Lucasfilm were not overly impressed by some aspects of CE in London.

Main thing is at least most people know english in some form even as a 2nd language, which makes getting around London easy. For English people abroad it is harder since most will struggle anywhere other then France or Spain, particulalry if the signage around the place is not gonna have much english.

That being said, I think Germany could host CE pretty well. I enjoyed the first one a lot and no reason why it can't be bigger and better then before.

Has it been officially confirmed as even happening yet?

3. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Having missed out on CE last time i would love to get another chance to get the celebration experience.

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    CE was great fun. I'd love to be part of another one.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd love another one as well, but at Earls Court instead of Docklands. That was too long of a haul for me!

6. edgejedi

edgejedi Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2004
    For a moment when there was no response to my post I thought Id been posting on a Star Trek forum again :p

Germany or France would be great and I agree, the better choice if its not gonna be the UK again this time.

There seems to be a lot of interest generated I guess by the discussion around CV in the US, so of course its only right that us Europeans start to raise the profile of this fantastic event.

Lets face it, despite some moans from people about CE1, we aint gonna have anything this size/official happen in Europe unless LFL organise it. The only one that comes close (but not that close in sheer size) for me is Jedi Con

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There are a lot of events nationwide all year round that we can attend, although almost none are Star Wars specific which is why something like JediCon is good.

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm actually of the opinion that CE should've been bigger, using up both of the arenas in there instead of just the one.

Oh, and get rid of that stupid inflatable army thing. What the **** was that all about?

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It could've been bigger, Excel struggled to support the influx of people especially on the Saturday. I hope they can at least deal with a few international politicians tomorrow :p

You'd think after 30 years such places would stop under-preparing for Star Wars events or be bemused as to why they are far more popular then expected.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think part of the problem was that we weren't using all of ExCel and the Saturday crowd was just too much for what we were using. And I agree on the Army thing - that should have been in its own area. Or it should have been deflated when they saw the crowds on Saturday.

11. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    In the current economical climate, CE2 feels very far away. Lucasfilm don't really get that involved with these shows but do receive a nice license fee. The rumblings I've heard is that those responsible for CE didn't come out of it too well, and look at the GenCon situation too. So sadly I really am not expecting anything to happen but hope to be wrong on this.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not expecting it until at least next year if it even happens.

13. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    i heard from somebody and I really cant remember who...

it is believed by the person (somebody important if i recall) that Lucasfilm signed a contract with excel which would mean they have to come back for 2009

not a clue if thats true or not!

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd think we would have heard something by now if they were coming back for 2009. They'd have to book ExCel quite far in advance.

Seeing all the footage from there yesterday brought back fond memories..

15. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'd say that wasn't true. For starters, it wouldn't be Lucasfilm signing that contract, it would have been Cards inc. and/or imie as they were the ones responsible for the show. I also doubt they would have thought that far ahead, lol.
    I hope we do have a CE2, and I don't mind where it is really. Steve Sansweet has always liked the idea of Berlin but if you're thinking from a business POV (i.e money grabbing), then London will always be the logical choice.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd dearly love a CE2 sometime - as I look back fondly on the original. I've attended a number of similar bit smaller scale events in the UK since then and failed to achieve the same buzz.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The only rumours I've heard about CE2 would be Paris or Brussels. Personally if I have to choose I will put my money on CV and then Jedi-Con and CE2 will be third on my list.

And if there is a CE2 we will open up the forum again. :)

18. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    CE was good. But if there's another one I'd like to see some stuff like exhibits of genuine SW props, costumes and artwork incorporated into it (similar to the Art of Star Wars exhibition from some years ago, or the O2 event last weekend).
    Europe needs a regular large SW event.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    CE did have a very small display of original movie props. They had Anakin's burnt head and Vader's torched helmet from ROTJ funeral scene. I agree that they should perhaps have more stuff like costumes, but the Vader helmet art was original and different.

Frankly once you've seen one SW costume exhibit you've seen them all.

20. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    exhibits are ok but CE was about the Fans too and thats what made it so fantastic!

21. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000

Yeah, saw those and they were cool... would have been nice if they'd had more classic trilogy stuff.

I enjoyed CE. I thought it got a lot of undeserved negative criticism.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Don't forget that while CE was on there was a SW exhibit going on in London at County Hall. I think that's why there wasn't much at CE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.