main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Celebration III LEGO Competition

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Haggis, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    We have been asked to be the Canadian team in the LEGO Competition at Celebration III. At the moment, we are scheduled for Friday, April 22nd at 10:00am against a team called Kuat Drive Yard Crew #1138.

As far as timing Liann, the Official Site had this to say:
    "If you need to substitute people from one day to the next, that's fine. You can even substitute people from one round to the next. The only rule is that once a round begins, you can only use the people on your roster for that specific match."
    Now, I'm told that we are the only Canadian team, and apparently we need a team name, so besides posting whether or not you'd be interested to be on the team (about 10 people needed, or recommended), feel free to suggest suitable team names. The most readible ones that come to mind are Team Canada and Edmontooine for obvious reasons.

Also, LEGO is sending us a Star Destroyer to be able to practise with as a team, so it is recommended that we meet at least once before C3 to At least recognise how the model goes together.
    So far, the average age of the competition looks to be about 29-31, although it does range from 6 to 39, so if nothing else, we can have a fun time with this and anyone can participate.

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    As I said in the other thing I'm in. I'm free weekdays from about 10:00 til 2:30 and should be free every weekend this until we go (except tomorrow and this Sunday).

How about this for a name? Hoth Salvage Crew? :D

If we wanna represent Canada we can wear team Canada olympic hats or something too.

3. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Everyone on the team will also get an exclusive LEGO Star Wars T-Shirt... so that's another perk.

EDIT: As well, the schedule for Saturday, April 23rd is for competition at 10:00am and the Final at 4:00pm (should we make it that far). Technically there is up to 3 hours between competitions so theoretically, that's how much time we have if the other teams don't complete theirs. Also, for your information, we are listed as Sith Team 2.

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    ok i'm in then, i told my friends in Toronto that are coming about it in case we need extra people if thats ok.

i'm free evenings to practice and weekend, i'd be happy to host if we need somewhere to get together.

5. Darth_Beowulf

Darth_Beowulf Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    Thats awesome guys, good luck and like Liann said, just have fun with it and enjoy the moment but I know you will make us canadian Star Wars fans proud.

6. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    No problem Liann. Just for convenience sake though, it would be helpful if they are in to either post here, PM or e-mail me, so that we can get all of our resources sorted out. :)

EDIT: I like the name Berk (or at least the reference to Hoth). :) Also, does anyone have a problem with me being Captain? Ms. Carter needed a name, and LEGO is one of the few things I collect. Please let me know if there are objections, and I can pass the information along.

7. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    i called and left them a message, just waiting to hear back, there would just be two people, do you need a list of names to send in, how soon do you expect the star destroyer to arrive. neither of them are on the boards

8. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm not sure how long it will take for the Star Destroyer to arrive. She sent it out today, so maybe a week or two (depends how she sent it). Also, names and e-mail addresses would be helpful (or also ages too). One thing I was thinking of was somehow creating an assembly line concept to the who construction of the model... so when the plans arrive, I'll probably look at them and create "component" packages for sections that can be worked on simulaniously and then assembled... Any other ideas would be awesome. (something to give us a competitive "edge" without cheating. :))

Can you tell that I'm kind of excited about this? [face_blush]

9. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    they're in, i'll send you their info, unfortunately they don't have that one to practice on, i suppose we should take it to indy to practice

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Steve: no problem on you being the leader. You're the engineer after all. ;)

I forgot to mention I'm also free evenings. After about 5 I'm good to go.

11. banana

banana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I AM SOO IN to cooll ok i am free from 6 til around 11 and weekends to just not this one this week i am free .

banana :D :D

aaaaahhhhhhh :D

12. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    man I would love to join but I hated lego as a kid, my friend Brad would love to be there but I'm just not a lego guy :(

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    one question, when we go into the compitition will we be getting a brand new box of lego never before opened? or all of the lego just in a pile needing to be sorted out?

when are we meeting to practice, we don't have much time before we go?

14. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    In competition we will be getting a brand new sealed box. All that we are allowed to compete with is whatever comes in that box.

15. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    so i just looked at those links you sent, aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh its huge, its going to take forever :p should we divide it up into sections to start practicing on our sections so we know them inside out? so when are we going to meet, this is going to be a lot of work.

16. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I know, I looked at the links and had a moment of total panic, then Faye pointed out there were lots of us. I told Steve my dining room table is available next week. :)

17. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Next week will be the earliest that I will be able to meet. I'm in the process of writing my massive final paper, and the sooner I get that done, the more time I will have to prep for CIII. Also, our grad banquet is this weekend, so I'll be hard pressed to even make it for the meeting on Saturday. However, that being said, it should be fun. I admit, in competition it will get stressful and maybe even overwhelming, but as long as we all remember that we are doing this for fun (and bragging rights as the only Canadian team) and go out there with that attitude, then it will be a good time.

BTW, what do you think about the name United Ice Farmers of Hoth? (UIFH kind of like UFA here in Alberta)

18. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    names good, did you want to lend us the lego and we can get a head start on it?

next week i work till 6:15 and am dog sitting so have to go to my parents and look after dog first before i can do anything else, unless you all would like to work on it at my place then that would save some time.

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Do we have enough team members?

20. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    LMAO we have to use that, I knew the ice faming would come back. :)

21. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Im in! :)

Im not much of a lego guy myself, but if you guys need another team member, here I am ;)

22. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    We now have 8 people. I'm planning on spending some time tomorrow dissecting that massive manual. Wish me luck. ;)

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Here's where that fancy book-learnin' pays off :p

24. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    :p
    Either way, it looks like we might have to shred the one at Celebration so that each of us has a section or something... ;) Ever rip a book before? O:) [face_whistling]

25. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Is it bound? I thought it was on a spiral. I was thinking more along the lines of simply spinning out the spiral.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.