main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pacific Celebration III - Pacific Region Fan Force table is a GO!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jawajames , Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Celebration III is having fan group tables and such... what if the Pacific Region had its own table to sign up members for fanforces within the region, and have flyers and such for the various clubs of the west coast.

i was thinking of pretty minimal staffing - perhaps one or two people at any time, but with enough shift changes so that no one had to spend too much time at the booth and not doing other things at the convention.

any other clubs interested in helping staff?
    any clubs that have members going who could bring flyers/sign-up cards?

any chapters going to have their own chapter table?

JediRacer EDIT: Title change per jawajames' request

2. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    That would be amazing. The Ventura County FF is way too small to have a table on our own but I know we'd love to be a part of this. We'll discuss it at our next meeting. Thanks a lot for the invite!

3. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    I can't speak on behalf of the SF FAN FORCE council, but I would'nt mind if we had at least some information posted at the various clubs. If TF.N is going to have their own booth, maybe we could join forces with them.

FYI - the 1st big Con in the Pacific before C-3, and before the lining up of Ep.III, is WonderCon in San Francisco, Feb 18-20 (Presidents' Day Weekend) Moscone Center.

I just posted a thread on our boards:
    http://boards.theforce.net/San_Francisco,_CA/b10448/

And maybe if you all could join us in person, we could really plan a true showing at Indy for West Coast representation!! :D

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Sounds like a great idea, James. Although, personally I couldn't work the table. At C2 I didn't get to see stuff I wanted, and being at the table would make it more difficult.

5. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    well, hopefully we'd try to divide up the booth hours in a schedule where no on has to work too much, or miss the things they want to see.

or would this work better:
    instead of a booth which would need to be staffed all the time...
    we host an event on the program, like a 1 hour block, where we all get together with other west coasters and sign new people on and meet each other?

6. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually I CAN speak for SF Fan Force and I say it sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't mind helping out although I never been to a Celebration so I maybe to distracted to be at the table often. However, we'd love to have flyer and business cards or something for us to distribute.

7. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I think we can get some of the Everett Fan Force to volunteer if the shifts are fairly short. I will bring this up at our next meeting

8. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    One of the reasons our fanclub didn't want a table was out of fear of missing cool convention stuff. But if the table would run in short shifts than I'm sure we'd be willing to commit some time. I'll bring it up at our next meeting and let you guys know then if anyone is ready to commit.
    Thanks.

9. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I think it's a great idea to have a table. However, as of right now I won't be able to make it to C3. :( I'm not sure that anyone else in Bakersfield is.. but I know Tulare is going.

I could make up some flyers for you to have on the table for our group, though.

10. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I'd be happy to work the table for a shift. :D

11. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    anyone meet with their clubs yet?

12. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    the deadline for fan tables is the 9th of December, and i need the following from participating clubs: a contact name with contact info, and 2 references (with contact info).

if i don't hear anything by the 7th, then the table is a no-go!

13. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    about the table:

right now, since not many people are interested in having to spend time at the table, i'm thinking of having an unstaffed table. basically it would have flyers from various clubs, and a generic sign-in form for potential members that gets dropped into a drop box which is emptied every night. 'staff' people would periodically swing by the table to make sure that the area is tidy, add more flyers from storage if a pile is out or low, and set up/take down. if someone wanted to have 'office hours' to actually talk with potential members, we could have them when people are free.

about needing contacts and references:

to apply for a table, they request at least two contact personnel (me and someone else who will be there) with contact information.

each of those contact personnel need references - like job references.. someone to vouch for the character of the contact. the references would also need to provide contact info, although i doubt that they will actually be contacted.. who knows?

anyone want to step up and be a contact for this table with me?

14. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    egad.. i actually looked at what is needed for getting a fan club table:

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/displayswc.aspx?file=swc-fan-tables

Apparently they require, among other things:

* Samples of all literature and items that will be given away
    * Images of all graphics that will be used in the booth

so if any club has electronic copies of their flyers or other recruiting stuff please send them to me asap via email - use my user name @yahoo.com

jawajames

15. marmakecam

Nov 7, 2002
    I'll volunteer if no one else is willing to step up. I'd rather not since I'm supposed to be working at another booth for Celebration 3 so I'll be busy but if no one else is willing I'll do it.

Also, I don't think I have any of the digital files of our fliers. I'll look though and get back to you. Thanks again for setting this up.

16. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    I'm willing to help at the table, but I don't think our Spokane chapter is going to be able to run one all by ourselves.

We are planning on making a fanfilm for Celebreation III, so I think quite a few of us are wanting to go to the Con. I can volunteer, and I bet I could talk a few of my guys to help out too. I say let's go for it! I'll bring it up at our next meeting (Sunday).

17. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Hi James,
    Our club is Mos Everett Cantina.
    we did discuss this at our last meeting
    Our group is small and I only think we can count on three of us to do a 1 to 2 hour shift each per day, and maybe not all days of the convention.
    I will PM you my conact info
    -Cate-

18. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Right now i have contact information from:
    San Diego Star Wars Society (me) - complete
    San Francisco Fan Force - complete
    Ventura County Fan Force - complete
    Spokane Fan Force - need a reference for Eledaia with phone / email.
    Mos Everett Cantina - need a mailing address for Cliodna_ben_Lhee

writing up the 'club resume'

19. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    submitted to LFL.. let's keep our fingers crossed...

the next steps:
    each participating club needs to put together and then send me (either electronically or by mail) any literature that they plan to distribute from the table, and also any images they plan to use in the booth... i am trying to get a 'fan force' banner borrowed to help ID the table, although i think we also need a west coast map... any graphics artists out there?

i'd like to get this stuff assembled for LFL approval in january or february.

20. marmakecam

Nov 7, 2002
    I have a friend that can print banners, I'll see what he can do. Also, I'm a graphic design major if you'd like help in that area.

21. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    your help in making a banner would be greatly appreciated!!

22. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    I can actually make a fabric banner (high quality appliqued) to hang behind the booth. I am a graphic design and costumer/seamstress.

23. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    ooh! that would be cool... is it possible that you two could work together on a design?

24. marmakecam

Nov 7, 2002
    I'm down to work together but she's more than welcome to do it solo if that's easier. Let me know if you'd like help Eledaia. My friend does vinyl banners so yours would be a lot cooler.

25. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    good news everyone!

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2004/12/news20041220.html

We are one of the 14 fan clubs to be getting a table for Celebration III!!!!!!!

now that we are confirmed as in, it is time to get to work :p

i think the next steps are:
    - each club needs to come up with its flyers to hand out.

- we should come up with a general Pacific Region flyer to hand out.
    - need banners: one for the back of the booth (large) and one to hang in front of the table.
    (perhaps these two items should share a common design)

- start getting members to commit to staff the table during the convention.. no specific time slots assigned yet, until they announce the overall schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.