Celebration III should be held in DC

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Council, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Council Jedi Padawan

I think its time that some of the big conventions be hosted in DC.

We have a brand spanking new convention center that is HUGE. We have tons of tourist activities, places to go, 3 sports teams right in the city, EVERYTHING.

Its pretty silly that no conventions like the STAR WARS one, or any major sci-fi or comic one is never in DC. With the new convention center, there shouldnt be an excuse.

We always have to travel somewhere, and it would be nice to have something here once in a while.
  2. master-kevin Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i agree it seems that all the major conventions are in the center states.
  3. Iowa_James Jedi Padawan

D.C. would be cool.
    Besides, that's where they filmed D.C. Cab.
    Maybe George W. could stop by dressed up as a politician from Courascant.
    I can see it now, the whole 501st lined up for a group picture in front of the White House or nation's capital.
  4. jeditrainee Force Ghost

star 1
    Yes! The new convention center would be perfect. Plus I can save a bunch of $$$ in plane tickets and hotel. :D

The Largest Building in Washington D.C.
    Big is a relative term. In our case, big means huge. Six square city blocks. 2.3 million square feet. The Sears Tower could rest inside. Two major league baseball fields, six NFL football fields or four 747 jet liners could fit in the main exhibit hall. The new center will use as much steel as seven Eiffel Towers. The Grand Ballroom will be the largest on the East Coast and there will be 44,000 square feet of retail space. That's big. To be completed in March 2003 and will be the sixth-largest convention center in the nation..
  5. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I was about to ask "why D.C.?" But after that message, dang, I know why. If WotC can afford it (sounds like it might be expensive) it sounds like it would be great. Lots of room for everyone to spread out in. It would also give me a reason to go back out there for a tour of the Pentagon. That is, if they still give them. And I could probably stay with my cousin and save on hotel expenses :)
  6. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    WoTC is no longer in charge. The fanclub was once again sold. And the reason they had it in the central states was so the people on both coasts could reach it easier. But having it in DC would be cool. I've got friends there. :D
  7. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd love for it to be in D.C. It would make getting there a lot easier and cheaper.
  8. -Tenel-Ka- Jedi Master

star 4
    CIII would be awesome in DC~ the convention center is huge, there's a drawing of it on the website and I can try to find pictures of it. ^___^

And yes, 501st would look awesome in front of the White House! :D
  9. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedi Girl: I may be mistaken, but I believe that WotC only licensed out the magazine to that other company (can't remember the name now). I mentioned the same thing here a few weeks ago and Shara corrected me. I reread the press release and sure enough, it stated that they were only licensing out the magazine. Everything else is still being done through C2 ventures, which I believe is handled by WotC.
  10. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree, Celebration III should be held in D.C.

Then I could finally attend. ;)
  11. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Anywhere on the East, that way it's cheaper for me to get there :D

¤Night
  12. Stovros Jedi Knight

star 1
    D.C. would be cool, but instead of one city a celebration, it should be various cities around the nation, like a celebration across the galaxy theme
  13. Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Knight

star 3
    Droidboy here in Indy suggested that C3 be held in Portland, Oregon.

That way it would be C3-P.O.

[face_laugh]
  14. Warriorpoet Jedi Knight

star 2
  15. JediShaLee Jedi Master

star 3
    I agree.washington D.C.is a wonderful place as well as being use to large groups of people. Besides if one wants to understand the political atmosphere of Curasant one should spend time in D.C. It has traffic but the Metro rail system is wonderful and takes you to the convention center quite easily.There are many government buldings that are wonderful
    and the convention center is quite spacious. Plenty of hotels and lots of night life!
    One can certainly feel the Force surround you when in D.C.
  16. Promiscuous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I agree! I'm right by the D.C./Maryland line. Getting to the convention center will be easy access. The Celebration should be held in Washington, D.C.
  17. CranieAmidala Jedi Knight

star 3
    No, I feel the last Star Wars Convention should be held in Toronto. Get the Canadian fans involved.
    Toronto had the only chairty preview screening of Attack of the Clones, and it would be fitting to have the last and final gathering up in Canada.
    There is the Convention Center, SkyDome, and The Air Canada Center. All beside each other.

Couldn't you just see Darth Mauls face projected on top of the dome,
    or The CN Tower transformed into the worlds largest lightsaber...

Think about it... ;)
  18. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm posting this again because I have a different reason this time. C3 should be brought to San Diego to complete the circle. Star Wars started in San Diego (from what Steve Sansweet says, that's where it was introduced back in 76) so it would be fitting to have the last Celebration brought to the place where it all began.

That's all I had to say. You can go about your business now.
  19. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Toronto had the only chairty preview screening of Attack of the Clones

To clarify, Toronto may have had the only Canadian charity preview, but not the only worldwide charity preview. There were at least 3 in the States that I can think of off the top of my head (LA, NY, Chicago).
  20. CranieAmidala Jedi Knight

star 3
    What I ment, was that Toronto had the only Canadian chairty preview screening.
    So that shows that Canadains are totally dismissed.
  21. SWFanGirlfriend Jedi Padawan

I think Celebration III should be held on the east coast. It seems only fair that people who had to travel really far for the other conventions get a break time, but I don't think that it should be held in DC. It's too crowded, too expensive, and far too difficult to get to.
  22. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually LJ, C2 Ventures only was in control of the autograph area of Celebration II. Wizards of the Coast was in charge of the rest of the convention with Lucasfilm overseeing it. C2 Ventures was a separate organization, technically, formed by Phil Wise of Rebelscum and Ben Stevens who is in charge of a similar company that handles Sci-Fi Conventions.

Regardless of the "rumor" posted to TF.N, Washington D.C. is very very unlikely to have the convention. I would go, but I wouldn't go far from the convention center because of the crime rate alone.
  23. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been to DC and my cousing leaves just outside of downtown DC. According to him and my own experience, DC is fine until after sunset :) As long as you're out of downtown by sunset, you're ok. It's after that that you have a problem. Of course, the "bad" neighborhood is only 1 signal (literally) away from the good neighborhood. But yes, that would be a problem with having the convention in DC. They would have to end it early everyday for everyones safety (give us all time to get to a good part of town).

On the other hand, and again, this is from my own experience, the drivers seemed to be a little more courteous in DC then they were in Indianapolis. I almost got hit at least twice when walking in the crosswalk (yes, the symbol said walk) cause the left turners just didn't want to wait. I actually stared at one of them in complete disbelief as he cut me off and took the turn, looking at me most of the time. It's like I was invisible or something. By Sunday, I wouldn't even step into the street until I was positive the cars weren't moving (since they wouldn't stop even if they did see you). Maybe I just ran into a string of bad drivers (it has happened before), but that just left a bitter taste in mouth for Indianapolis.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.