main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Celebration III

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I've seen how hotels deal with room blocks for events and odds are that the 'convention rate' will be the lowest they're willing to go down for a room block - and that rate was negotiated with a pickup of a couple hundred rooms.

Mike - consider one of the rooms I've got on hold available to you.

The other room is officially offered as the 'starving student crash room(tm)'. Pack a bunch of you together and bring down the rate for all.

I've currently booked the rooms for a check-in on Thursday and a checkout on Monday, but those days can be adjusted closer to the event, if need be. Better to have the rooms and the days set aside and not need 'em, then to need 'em and not have 'em.

---

One thing we really need to do in advance is to pick a restaurant and put an advance reservation in - maybe even book a private room. Let's not go hopping about from one place to another in search of a place that can accomodate us like we did last time.

2. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Count me in for the 'starving student crash room(tm)'.

And as for the restaurant, I suggest that oriental place that me, you, and Joseph ended up at one night. Not the cheapest place, but awesome food and service.

For those of us who don't visit the news sites much, what weekend is this anyway?

3. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
  4. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    hopefully, I'll be able to bring some more montrealers this time around.

5 of us already shared a room in Quebec Sithy, chances are the same people will drop by. However, I'm hoping I'll be able to get myself a room of my own since we will want to Broadcast Star Wars en Direct live from Indy. :D

keeping up the tradition Jeditalk left behind.

but just so everyone knows:

I shotgun the Chairs ^_^

5. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    > Info pretty solidly points to April 22-24, 2005.

Great, assuming that's correct, I wait until February 2005 and in the mean time hope that I don't get an exam after the 20th or so. Then have to make last minute plans assuming it does work out... curses.

6. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Does anyone, who was in the hotel room, remember how much the weekend cost? I'm thinking I spent 400-500$?

Hotel
    Gas
    Food
    Parking
    Con ticket
    Merchandise

7. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm planning on going with my friend and her boyfriend. We can still take one more in the car too, for anyone who's interested.

About the rooms, I haven't looked into that yet. But I MIGHT* be one for the 'starving students crash room' as well. The packing people in a room is a good idea.

*might, being I'm also meeting a couple other good friends from the JCC, so they might want to know about a cheaper way to stay too. :)

8. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Starving student crash room eh?

Well, by the time C3 rolls around, I technically will no longer be a "starving student" but I am so up for booking a room with like 20 other people ;)

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Best way to book a room >.<

At that, it's always a room party!

10. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Ya, and with that many people sharing a hotel room..I can totally learn how to sleep standing up :D

11. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

People also make good pillows. :D

12. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Yes Yes, that they do Tessa. Expecially girls with their natural pillows

*gets hit on the head*

13. Anakin_Padme4ever

Jan 29, 2002
    Yes, it will be fun indeed! :D

I really can't wait until the CIII now. Actually, this time, atleast I'll know others who are going, aside from the fact I went with my dad for just one day and didn't have any friends there to the CII. Should be lots of fun. :D

14. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Speaking of cars last time we did a convoy and talked to each other on walkee talkees between cars so we could communicate. Mori Fett drove one of the cars. Again, anybody heard from him lately? It's all fine to say you are going but everyone needs a route there.

We reaserched the bus last time. The price was almost the same as driving with 4 or 5 in the car and it was a 23 hour trip because there was no direct route (you had to transfer buses). The train was more expensive than driving. So if anyone has a car or can beg borrow or steal one now's the time to start looking into it. Sharing a vehicle is another way to save dough.

15. Anakin_Padme4ever

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm going with my friend, we can take one more person with us. Even she told to see who else is going and if they need a ride. ( :p )

16. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'll definetely be there.

:)

yay!

17. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Re: Starving student crash room:

Remembering from the last convention when we had 6 in the room, things were already very crazy and cramped. If it turns out that a lot of people want in on that room, we should consider grabbing another one. At least 6 have already spoken, and I definitely don't recommend going much over that in one room. Sure, it'll bring the costs down, but think of it logistically...bed/floor space, bathroom use, etc.

The issue with this is that a lot of the starving students may have exam issues then, so it's very difficult for some to know for sure whether they can go or not right now.

18. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    People also make good pillows.

So that means you want me to come? ?[face_plain]

Signed,
    Mr. Stay Puft.

19. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Ha so that's who you are ^_^

So if anyone has a car or can beg borrow or steal one now's the time to start looking into it

Then just "borrow" a bus for a couple of weeks, and paint Toronto Long Line on the side of it ^_^

To be quite honest, that's what we're thinking of doing up here, renting a small bus and putting our logos all over it.

I love Mag tag.

20. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Sebulba is sooooooo desperate to have C3 again.

Wait until the official word, pally.

21. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Hi Jeff, long time no hear.

If you think there may too many people in the room, anyone with a credit card is welcome to make an exra reservation. As long as the reservation is cancelled 24 hours before the date you book there is no charge.

22. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Ok so do we have a roster of people either going or attempting to go and the room roster as well (who is staying where).

Just out of curiosity how is everyone traveling. I think it may be fun for us to do a road trip. Perhaps get a few vans, or as was suggested in the Niagara boards...a bus.

23. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    The official word is out and the dates are set. Of course, what I never counted on when making the initial reservation was the con being FOUR days long.

The convention starts mid-day on the Thursday... not Friday morning as it has in the past. Which is fine except the rooms I'd book

So here's the story.
    The first three rooms have a check-in date of Thurs, April 21st.
    I've just booked an additional three rooms. These have a check-in date of Wed, April 20th.

One of the Wed rooms is mine. Crazy Mike has dibs on either a Wed or a Thurs check-in room - whichever is his preference.

One of the Wed rooms will be a Starving Student Crash Room(tm). Whatever other rooms I have are free and open for whoever wants to claim one.

Cost is about $250US/night per room.

24. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Why thank you sir :) Put me down for a Thursday check in time please :)

25. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Not a problem Mike.
    That leaves a Wed check-in room open. Anyone interested in claiming it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.