main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration III

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by MissKitka, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vadersfist

vadersfist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2001
    They said there was going to be a bulletin board in the lounge so you could post notes to meet your online friends and such. What a load.

And why did they have a Message Board link on their site the whole time, and never put a board up? In fact, why is the site still up...?

2. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Agreed vadersfist...there was absolutely nothing in that fan lounge for that matter. Some tables and chairs and that was it. I think I even remember some vending machines that were empty.

3. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    All I can remember about that room are the tables and chairs...When I got there the chairs hadn't even been taken off the tables...I took one look and kept on going.

4. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    right the Fan lounge should be better run next time.

But I'm not proposing myself to do it,

there was much more fun to walk around the con all day.

altough .. would be fun... I'd feel like wuher. :)

5. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    I hope they do it better then this time!

I didn't get to go to CII, but I'll be going to this one! :D

God bless!

-Malz

6. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    Good idea Uilmuteiz, (french-canadian jedi talk, right? ;) ) they could set the lounge up as a Cantina :)

Anyhow, I'm sure they'll learn from some of the mistakes of C:II...least I hope.

7. jedilona

Nov 18, 2000
    I'll keep my fingers crossed...

8. jedilona

Nov 18, 2000
    How much time before C3 now?

9. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    It'll probably be a couple weeks before Ep. III comes out. So, most likely late April/early May of 2005....we've got awhile.

10. ItsJarJarsFault

ItsJarJarsFault Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    Episode II was definitely worth the wait. I couldnt make Cel. II i was busy finishing college. But now i am a working fool and i get VACATION Days!! paid vacation even, and i plan to be a celebration III

11. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Oh, that would be so cool! Run the lounge as a Cantina! Overhead goes to a charity. Of course, no underage...(sorry!!!) but what a place that would be. On Friday, I needed a beer...so bad! I mean water fountains were not in view. Bottled water was available for $3 a bottle (Hmmm, see a connection there?) so I just fled the scene at around 3pm and headed for the nearest "watering hole". Imagine how many people did likewise. (Actually, I found about 20 Stormtroopers there as well.) I bet many more would have stayed if they had had a place to really relax. Heads up, convention organizers! A way to make money for charity and keep attendees happy!

And imagine the line to get in if they had a really good band playing, ala SW Cantina .....Oh, just wishful thinking, I guess.

12. ItsJarJarsFault

Apr 22, 2003
    A cantina theme does sound pretty cool but could you imagine a bunch of drunk SW fans runnin around and whackin each other with toy lightsabers...IT would be GREAT:)
    Plus it would be a place for the kids to dump their parents for the majority of the day!

13. tionnesharp

Feb 25, 2002
    Ummm, yea, that was kinda what I was thinking. Lose the kids, drink, and whack other attendees with toy lightsabers!!! (Hee, sounds like good fun, actually!)

But, seriously..... it really would rake in the bucks for some enterprising franchise. Something other than fast food.... and NO entertainment! Anything to make standing in line more beneficial.

14. ItsJarJarsFault

Apr 22, 2003
    You got a point there...standing in line for a coke and you feel ripped off..but standing in line for a beer..ok now we are talkin:)

15. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Well, since they are anticipating anouncing the CIII location sometime this Summer, hopefully some extra planning can be done to make these ideas a reality. I'm hoping for Indy again. Now that they've been through it once, they can definitely improve upon it. Besides, as far as cities go, Indy is probably one of the more laid back ones, except around Indy500 time, that you can kick back, have a good time, & not worry about rediculous traffic (like Atlanta) or the local crime like Chicago, New York, or L.A.

As far as drinks go, I hear ya on that one. We ended up hanging out at the little pub across from the Fan Force party room, getting some much needed cervezas & shootin some pool. For CIII, A local pub should have a special for those that come in costume for the convention, like extended happy hour prices. The bartender could dress up like whurer & I would bet that there is at least one decent band amongst us Star Wars fans that would happily volunteer to entertain for at least an evening. I wonder if the guys from "Wheezer" were there. They are huge Star Wars fans. That would be a major blast!

16. Warriorpoet

Warriorpoet Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Well. if it's on the first full weekend in May. The 6th, 7th, and 8th. We have two years and nine days and 12 hours, aproximatly, from this post. [face_mischief]

Better start making out those check list. [face_laugh]

17. tionnesharp

Feb 25, 2002
    There was a "little pub" across from the Fan Force room??!! How the heck did I miss that?? Sigh. Oh well. None of my roomies were "pub" people anyhoo. They probably would have locked me out if I had come back.... toasty.

18. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    I'll definately be calling in sick to attend C3, you know it baby.

19. ItsJarJarsFault

Apr 22, 2003
    Well Tionne,

If they dont want you to come back toasty then they should have been responsible roomies and went on a pub crawl with you..that way no one came home at all LOL

Your roomies sound like they were wet blankets. Being a star wars geek does not exclude people from having a good old fashioned bender now and again!

20. vadersfist

vadersfist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2001
    Being a star wars geek does not exclude people from having a good old fashioned bender now and again!

I'll vomit to that.

21. mgibson

mgibson Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Hey, everyone:

Just needed a place to let this out so please humor me! We had a blast at C2 but would really like to see some changes at C3.

Regardless of where C3 is in the country, I would like to see a system set up so that everyone can see the major shows. Think of it like choosing a college class schedule.

A schedule of events would be drawn up for publication in the Insider. Each event (shows, book giveaways, autograph sessions) at C3 would take place at various times throughout the convention. Fan club members could choose their favorite schedule of events and send that in along with a fee for the service. The fan club sends a ticket package back to the member with the schedule list. First come, first served.

If one show at one time is "sold out", the fan club has the right to move the fan club member to another event time. Each event at C3 would be comprised of 70%-80% fan club members. 20%-30% of the seats at each event would be open (or more if any particular event doesn't fill up) for non-fan club members or anyone who doesn't choose to send in a schedule.

At each event, there will be two lines: one for fan club members with tickets, one for members/non-members without. Once the fan club member line is in, let the other line in. If fan club members with tickets don't make it to the event then there are more seats for the non-ticket fans.

Along with the schedule of events, the Insider would provide a general list of merchandise to PRE-order. T-shirts, hats, etc. should be made available for order to be picked up at C3. If the fan club doesn't want to make a "special action figure" or whatever available before the convention, fine, but at least let people get some con merch to wear at the event! At the very best, the folks involved with ordering things will have a much better idea of how much to bring and sell.

Yes, this will take an amazing amount of coordination ahead of time to get the events set up. And I don't think there is any way to avoid the huge line to get in to the convention center in the morning. But if some key lessons have been learned, C3 will be the best ever. We know how popular this event is and there are solid numbers now from two Celebration events to be used in planning. We have a two-year lead time to make this happen.

With Denver, we had rain. With Indy, we had lines. With C3, there should be a lot more happy fans!

At any rate, Paizo NEEDS to be involved. They have more than proven themselves capable with the fan club over the past year! Wizards? I really hope they've learned some serious lessons. The "store" sucks and the lines at C2 SHOULD have been avoided.

Sorry for the long post. This has been bubbling since last year! *hides under the sofa from thrown lightsabers*

22. tionnesharp

Feb 25, 2002
    Oh dear. I'm about to show my ignorace here... but who is Paizo?

I wasn't at Celeb I. Celeb II tried my patience with the lines... I'd like to HOPE for a better Celeb III.

23. mgibson

Apr 10, 2002
    No problem, Tionne. Paizo Publishing is the new owner of the Star Wars Fan Club. They've gone a fine job with improving the Insider magazine and the Fan Club in general by offering up a membership kit when you join.

As of now, Wizards of the Coast, the previous owners of the Fan Club, still retain the rights to selling merchandise and fan conventions. If you've seen the Jawa Trader portion of the Insider, you'll notice it's gotten extremely sad with high-priced Target stuff. Hopefully Lucasfilm will change things around so C3 is a lot better.

24. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    mgibson: I think your suggestions are fantastic and I would love to see them implemented for C:III. I hope Paizo or WotC or whoever is gonna be in charge is listening!

25. mgibson

Apr 10, 2002
    You and me both, Iwakura. I know it sounds goofy but I really feel that if the fans let the powers-that-be know what they want that it will change for the better.

I happen to think that C3 is going to be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.