main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration III

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by MissKitka, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    I'll be there no matter what. After Celebration II, I'm spoiled and I would never forgive myself for missing it. With all of the frequent flyer miles my cross-country commuting day accumulates, I'll have about 7 free Southwest airlines tickets. ;) Southwest goes to either Indy or San Diego, so I'm game!

And the Fan Force party at Celebration II was amazing!

2. Bleyd

Bleyd Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2002
    I still think they should hold it here in Vegas. We've already made Guiness book of world records for conventions. We have had the largest convention attendees at over 1 million people. The Las Vegas population is only 500,000. Our convention center has been upgraded once again boasting more than 3.3 million square feet. As luck would have it also. There is a monorail/tram being built that will span from the McCarren International Airport along the strip in front of the convention center and just past. Technically one would never have to step foot on the ground. No taxis toworry about no shuttles. Just hop on the tram go to your hotel room. get back on get dropped off in front of the convention center. Food is cheap here. You can find $2.99 steak breakfasts at some places. Hotel rooms are fairly reasonable, though the bigger more plush rooms are alot more but nowhere near the prices in some other cities.
    I just think it makes sense. We have more room to accomodate any number of people to visit this town than anywhere in the world.
    JM2CW.

3. Warriorpoet

Warriorpoet Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Yes, I can just see now, a tram full of Jedi and Stormtroopers, facing of with the Trekkers heading for the Star Trek Thing at the Hilton. [face_laugh]

4. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i hope its in denver .

5. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    "I agree."

For instances......Denver is very motivated to have more conventions, the T-Rex I-25 corridor project will be finished well before CIII, the new mayor is pushing hard to upgrade Denver's image by having more events on board, we are relatively central to the Republic(yes, the USA is a republic), sci-fi conventions/vendors pull through regularly, we don't have the massive convention burn-out of other locales, we have a lot of choice locations for the event, no vendor will have to haul their gear coast-to-coast, we have plenty of fantastic extra-curricular activities in-state so that con-goers can make it a vacation and not just a sci-fi con, hotel/camping/motel/fuel and other costs for this area of the country are median(unlike many large cities), DIA can handle flights from anywhere, we have more smaller airfields(light plane folks take note)here than most places in the US, the mountainous views can't be beat, we have several main inroads to the Denver area, we still don't have the traffic congestion of most big venues, our weather that time of year is great, the air is cleaner, and we have a large and growing SW fanbase to help setup the function and get the word out. I can think of more reasons why Denver should be CIII's domain, but my typing fingers are gettin' sore....FLOL! I challenge anyone to come up with any outstanding reasons why Denver should not be the site.

6. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    DENVER! DENVER! DENVER!

Just...so long...as...it's inside this time. :)

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    another for denver. i will just go with what they said.

8. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    Denver is relatively central to the republic??? Translation.... A long flight if you live on the east coast forget about driving. Hate to say it but Denver and central to the USA is stretching the truth just a tad.

Don't get me wrong I will be there no matter where it's at, just that you wanted a reason and that is one for me. Indy is central and big enough to house it. Why go back to the rainforest?

Of course I could say that N.Y. or D.C. would be perfect but they wouldn't because for the people who live on the west coast that's a little more out of the way than Indy. Compromise and meet in the middle.

9. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    Indy is central enough for me, and the facilities were GREAT. I had far too much fun!

10. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    I'll go either way, but I'd rather it be in Indy :D

Or maybe we could say it's in Springfield like they do on the Simpsons and have to figure out what state it's in... :p

God bless!

-Malz

11. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    If it were held in Boston, they could come to our new convention center!!! By 2005, the new center will be finished, the big dig will be done, and with all of the new hotels and transportation, it's a perfect fit.

12. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I loved C2 and want it to be in Indy again. They just need to use more rooms. Everyone was packed, but there were a lot of empty rooms. To quote an online article about the location of C3, "When something is a sucess, why not go for a repeat?"

13. vongbait

vongbait Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2002
    I went to CII and had a blast. I tried to get as much as I could. I only got 4 of the Jorg Sacul figures though. To some people that is too many, to other a drop in the bucket. But I thought that sense my Padawan had to stand in line with me for hours why not.

I really wanted to get in on the book give away (I missed it). I was going to take all I could get. Yes this seems glutenous. But all the things I got free and extra of I gave away. Some of the same things I was mailing (and only reciving postage for) or giving away to my local SW friends was on ebay.

Not one thing I recived for free did I charge for. I didn't even think of charging for it. If Celebration III is with in the same distance of me as Celebration II was, I will go. I will also go about it the same way. Get my hands on all I can get for free and FREELY share the bounty.

Why other feel the need to grab all and sell for a profit what they got for free is beyond me. I just wanted to share what I could get my hands on.

I would like to say I would go to Celebration III no matter what, but money is an issue. If I spend it all to get there, than how do I pay to get through the door? Where do I stay? How do I eat? I also had to take my Padawan out of school for one day last time. I can't have my Padawan miss to much school. So distance is an issue. I spent over 6hrs on the road that Friday morning. I am more than willing to spend that same amount of time to get to CIII.

If it must be out of reach, than I hope someone who does go, does for me what I tried to do for so many others.

14. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Another nod for Denver.... Reasons (besides where I am :p ):

• New Expansion on the Downtown Convention Center (making it bigger than Indy's)

• Plenty of Hotels

• LoDo (Hot bed of nightlife in Denver) is w/i walking distance of the ConCenter

• Colorado produces more hops products (especially the micro kind) than all but one state

• A Truly International Airport - w/ daily straight flights from London, Germany, Mexico, South America and Canada

• MOUNTAINS!!!! (Be kinda cool to see the Stormies Spring Snowboarding ;) )

• New Mayor who is probably a bigger geek than all of us!

And as far as central location.... The only major city closer to dead center is Kansas City, and they do not have the facilities nor the airport to handle a Con this size. And since I have driven from Denver to DC, it's 1,900 miles to the East Coast and 1,500-1,600 to the West (depending on which way you're going - though I haven't driven that one I know those that have).

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    well here's hoping they spill the beans at dragon*con this weekend... ;)

16. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Tack on one more vote for Denver.

17. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    I just hope they will hurry up and announce it already. They said sometime in August, so it's coming...................eventually!

18. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    KC just finished an incredible center. The only problem is the airport- but they are remodeling it....

19. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    Well, tomorrow will be the begining of September. And to quote TF.N as the Latest C3 news story:

Celebration 3 Location Chosen in August
    Fri, Jul 25, 03 12:45:15 PM EDT

Josh calls in with news that the location of Celebration 3 will be chosen in August, and will also be announced at the end of August. Lisa Stevens from the Fan Club also stated that they expected to do more Celebrations in the future after Episode III. We'll bring you news of the venue as soon as we get it.

20. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Sigh..... I KNEW it was too good to be true!!

21. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    Yes, yes, yes.

Well, they'll have it up by April 2005 for sure. (I hope!)

22. darthdravensith

darthdravensith Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2003
    so when the hell are we gonna get the announcement? Is there anyone that we can contact to get this info? How did TFN find out that it would happen in the end of august??

23. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    I don't know how they found out, but it was on the list in the C2 section of old news. Steve Sansweet would probably know, if anyone want's to write or e-mail him.

24. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    At the Official Fan Club Breakfast at GenCon in Indpls late July, they announced that they should be making the official announcement towards the end of Aug / beginning of September. Then, not long after, Tom Berg (djtom, MC at the Rick McCallum Show at C2) got an email from Sansweet stating that the announcement would be pushed back a couple months (making it Oct/Novemberish). (Regardless of where it ends up being, I think they are planning on using Tom again for similar duties //thumbs up ). Anyway, I wouldn't bother Sansweet about it since he won't say anything until it's officially announced since even if he hints at it, it would make it official-ish.

25. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Thanks for the update.

*twiddles thumbs*

*looks at calendar*

Well, it IS almost October... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.