main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Celebration IV, Los Angeles, May 24 to May 28, 2007 - Official planning and info

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by The_Cheeser, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20060526.html

So, shall we plan now?

RSA EDIT: Title changed at author's request :)

2. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    *dances* It's official now! Time to start planning :)

3. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    Since nobody else has mantioned it yet, this looks like a good place...

A few weeks ago, StarWars.com announced the original versions of the original trilogy in DVD form in September.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

4. Jordi-WanKenobi20

Jordi-WanKenobi20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    Ok guys terrible news....ummmmmmm......I don't know how to put this any way else but...........I'm moving back to Utah this summer *cries like a little girl* You guys have been completely awesome to me and I shall never forget you, which brings me to my next point.

It is a huge possibility that I can make it next year to C4 and would be honored if I could still be a part of the Spokantina. So if I am still allowed in then thank you.

5. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    As President of the Spokantina, I think it is within my authority to inform you that you will always be welcome in our group!

6. Jordi-WanKenobi20

Nov 11, 2004
    HUZZAH!!! Alright thanks!!!

7. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Planning!

1. Lodging

Ok, so the closest Hotel to the Convention Center is the Holiday Inn, and I sure hope that it is on the list of Reserved Rooms just for Con-goers. Considering that this con will be in Cali(hot), and several of us will have elaborate costumes on, I figure getting in to the closest hotel would be the best idea. A room at the Holiday Inn with 2 or more people is $139 a night. They only have the option up to 4 people per room at this price, but I think that packing a couple of air mattresses will increase the capacity to 6 per room comfortably(rooms have 2 double beds). I figure we'll need at least 3 rooms (1 for girls, 2 for guys) and if you need a private room you can get that yourself for around $109 a night. We will probably need the rooms for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Nights. I figure we'll attend what is left of the Con on Monday and head out after Closing Ceremonies and drive overnight back home. So that is 15 room nights x $139 / up to 18 people = $116 per person lodging for all 5 nights. Now this is also current pricing and doesn't reflect the Con discount we could get when the rooms become available this fall, so this price for lodging could be even less.

I hoping to save enough money by time these rooms are available to reserve 3 or more rooms.

2. Travel

The idea of a road trip sounds really fun, especially if we caravan over to the Seattle or Portland Area and then pick up other fanforces along the way down the coast. I have done some research on 12-15 passenger van rentals, and I think I'm actually going to have to call a rental car place because all the online queries I made revealed no information for renting that type of vehicle in our area. The other idea which might be better is to rent a couple of 7-8 passenger SUVs. The little information I found online for the large vans indicated that we would be charged a mileage fee on them, but I did find that the SUV rentals had unlimited mileage. I think that this would be worth renting 2 vehicles, even with the extra gas, just to avoid the huge mileage fees. However, I will do more research to see if that is really the case.

According to Yahoo Maps, it is 1326 miles from my apartment to the LA Convention Center and they estimate that it is 18.5 hours to drive. That is going down through the Tri-Cities and then over to Portland. I would probably be a longer trip to go through Seattle, but it is an option. That makes this an easy overnight trip. I can see us leaving around 7PM and arriving in the Seattle Area around midnight. If the Everett people obliged, we could crash there for a quick nights sleep or continue on through and down the coast. It would be nice to get into LA at least by 8PM, but I figure we can work out when we all want to leave. I guess that we could have two traveling schedules if we were renting 2 SUVs, so that we could accomodate the "time-off" needs of everyone. I'm just thinking way to much...

3. Food

The "making-food-in-hotel" didn't work as well as I planned last time, but I still think it will be a good idea to have some pre-packaged food and drinks in a cooler on the trip and in the hotel rooms, just to save on food costs for those of us who need to "bare-bones" this Con. Anyone have a suggestion for the amount of cash to bring for purchasing food?

4. Tickets to Con

Well, last year I think the Con Badges were around $90, and then it was upped to $110? I'm not sure about this, so please post this if you know. Since this is a 5 day Con, I expect that the Badge will be more expensive than last time...

5. Travel by Plane

I priced out plane tickets right now, which should be similar to what is going on next year, and I estimate that you could probably get a fare from Spokane to LAX for around $250

8. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    http://boards.theforce.net/fanforce_star_wars_celebration_4/b10611/23987666/p1/?0

Check this thread! If you have problems getting time off work, you can ride down with us and leave early on a cheap one-way to get home for work. Also, you can work it in reverse and fly down late and we will reserve a seat in the caravan for you to ride home with us. I'll keep tabs on this...

9. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    As for the rental car, the minivan option seats 7 people and 6 suitcase, I found it rentable for $130 each way, with 23 miles per gallon and unlimited mileage. So, 1326/23=58 Gallons per trip x $3.50 = $203.00 in gas one way or $406.00 round trip approximately, round up to $450.00 just to be safe. $450.00 + $260.00 = $710.00 round trip / 7 passengers = $101.00 per person round trip travel

CAN YOU TELL THAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT THIS!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Kelli, I am in awe of your researching :) You rock :)

*seconds the statement about Jordan always being welcome :)*

I'm psyched too :)

11. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Another option for the transportation is to rent one or both of the minivans for the weekly rate which would up the round trip price from $260 to $301. That increases the cost per passenger by $5.86 to total $106.86 round trip. Not a bad upgrade for the option of having transportation for the entire Con!

GAH!!!! I'M GOING CRAZY!!!! AN ENTIRE YEAR!!!!!!

12. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Jordan, though it sucks that you are moving back to Utah, you will always be a member of the Spokantina. As the first group you've joined, like it or not, you'll always keep a special place in your heart for us.

You'll see.

I wonder how our group compares to Utah.....

Try to make it to as many meetings as you can before you leave.

13. Jordi-WanKenobi20

Nov 11, 2004
    Of course I will remember you guys and believe me I prolly will miss you alot since, like you said, this was the first group I joined. I will be seeing you guys at C-IV for sure, I wouldn't miss this one for the world.

I'M JOINING THE CRAZY TRAIN!!! I DON'T THINK I CAN WAIT IT OUT ONE MORE YEAR FOR THIS!!!

14. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Update: Just FYI, driving in the caravan could cost even less if the gas prices stay low. I budgeted $3.50 per gallon with and extra $46 to pad it to $450 in gas. One could definitely do this for $100 round trip!

15. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Are you really serious about the trip costs being only $100+badge? That still just seems too low. Do you have any time to double check those numbers before the halloween party?

What if one of those on the trip was an eight year old?

16. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    eight year olds fit in suitcases... don't they? [face_batting]

17. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Yes they do.

[image=http://chee.queensu.ca/~dehaan/spring06/nate-suitcase_250x165.jpg]

Some adults too.

[image=http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sylin/ozalbum/slides/claire%20in%20suitcase.JPG]

18. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    LOL! Seriously, I laughed out loud!

I'm on the job, and I'll try to have numbers and print outs for the party for those who want them!

CHEESER, where are you staying for the con? If you would like me to get you guys a room when I call, let me know!

19. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    HEY! What about me? :p

I will probably look at going along with you all

20. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Anthony, don't you know by now that we see the Tri-city fanforce as our twin!?! You are welcome to any Spokantina event automatically! Besides, if we drive, we have to come right through the Tri-cities!

21. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    Umm.....not exactly true Kelli if you are traveling to Seattle then to Portland the closest you would get to tri-cities is Ritzville (where I-90 and hwy 395 meet up)

22. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Ah, that post was a very long time ago, I think we have pretty much nixed that idea...if we want to get down to LA in good time..

23. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Looking at Yahoo maps it loks like I-90 through Portland and down I-5 is going to be the best bet-looking at roughly 18 hours travel time. give or take. If we have enough people, theoretically, it could be done in a straight shot. Of course, hitting LA traffic will increase the time.
    To bad we would have to stop for gas :p

24. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Does everyone going have a hyperspace account to get in the very first day?

25. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    *dances*

2 badges are now in the mail!

*happy dance*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.