Spok, WA Celebration IV, Los Angeles, May 24 to May 28, 2007 - Official planning and info

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by The_Cheeser, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah that sounds about right for travel time, from where I live to San Francisco can take any where from 12 to 16 hours depending on which way you go and I-90 to I-5 is generally the ideal way to travel during the week (have been on this trip far to many times :p).

Any ways I will keep looking in here to see how the planning is comeing along every one, I will need a ride to there :p
  2. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    Scratch that question...

and change it too:
    [face_praying] May my son and I please be a friend/family to one of you? [face_praying]

RSA Edit: Title changed at author's request. :)
    PS. Editted wrong title :oops:
  3. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    With no replies does this mean "No?"
  4. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't have a hyperspace account yet so I can't comment, and I have to take care of my sister for this one so I don't know
  5. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Cheeser, check your PMs, John and I will have 8 "friends and family" tickets and we might have other members who will hyperspace as well, so I don't think it will be a problem. How old will Sammy be at the time of C4?
  6. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, here is what I have found for car rentals:

First, it is cheaper to rent from the Spokane airport.
    Avis seems to be the cheapest choice. With any car rental, you will have a deposit of $300-$500. I will be calling the rental places to ask about a "pre-paid" rental which has the small deposit amount ($300). I will have a total cost amount and then an estimate of how much you need for the deposit which is refundable once the car is returned!

Ok, I've included the Avis rental information for the minivan below if you want to check it out. I'm going to keep the gas estimate from my previous posts at $406 + $512 = $912 total cost not including the deposit. Split between 7 people is $130, plus a refundable deposit of $43-72. This is all for round trip travel with unlimited miles and transportation during the con!

I am dropping Amy off at the airport on Friday, so I will be stopping by the actual rental car counters to get lots of information. Also, I see this minivan filling up fast and we might need to add another minivan or find a larger capacity van. I will be asking about that availability at the rental places. If anyone knows of a place to rent larger capacity vans, let me know because the online availablity for these is non-existent!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Avis Website Quote>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for choosing Avis!
    Your Credit Card is not required to confirm this reservation.

Your Base Rate is for : 7 day(s) / unlimited mileage 249.99 USD

Car Information: Mini Van Class, Chevrolet Uplander or similar, Seats 7

Pricing Base Rate: $249.99

Taxes & Surcharges
    ? $1.50 per rental (Transaction Fee)
    ? $0.68 per rental (Security Fee)
    ? 10% (Concession Recovery Fee)
    ? $0.45 per day (Vehicle License Fee)

Total Surcharges: $49.30
    Total Tax (8.6%) 24.11
    Mileage Unlimited

Approx. Subtotal: $323.40 USD

Optional Coverages:

Loss Damage Waiver ( 23.99 USD per day ) $167.93
    Personal Accident Insurance ( 3.00 USD per day ) 21.00
    Optional Coverages Subtotal: $188.93 USD

Estimated Total: $512.33 USD
  7. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    Thank you for replying and for the rental info.

1st: Dibbs on two HS passes for me and Sammy, who will be 8 years old then.

2nd: Don't you need money for deposit for the rooms today?
  8. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, this is going to be the official thread for all things C4, the others have been locked...Now for the news...

Updates and Info from other threads....

ROLLCALL---ROLLCALL---ROLLCALL---ROLLCALL---ROLLCALL

Wanting to go (please PM me changes):
    Anthony
    Anthony's Sister
    Chris
    Joe?
    Nat
    Bevan
    Jordan
    Mason and Sammy
    Nathan
    Alfredo
    Noelle
    Nathaniel?
    Erich?

HOTELS---HOTELS---HOTELS---HOTELS---HOTELS---HOTELS

John and I got into the Sheraton and everyone else is staying in 3 quad rooms at the New Otani (with Japanese Garden, Oooo)

http://www.newotani.com/

But...
    One room is for 5 nights WED,THUR,FRI,SAT,SUN and
    Two rooms are for 4 nights THUR,FRI,SAT,SUN Because I could only get the rooms for those nights or not at all! I will be periodically checking with the GenCon Housing Authority to see if I can snatch up those missing Wednesday nights. I figure people reserved Wed at the cheaper Otani and then transfered to a closer hotel for the other days.

If I can't get the other Wednesdays, you can just get a cheap hotel when you drive into LA, check out on Thursday morning, come to the Otani to drop off your stuff and then head to the FanClub day. You can then check into the Otani for Thursday night!

The cost per room was $143.00(plus tax 14%)= $163.00 for a 4 person room, however, we plan to cram up to 6 people into a room. This works out like this:

$163.00 / 6 person per room = $27.17 estimated per room night.

Your total will very depending on whether you get into the 5 night or 4 night rooms and have to stay at a cheap hotel for Wednesday night....

$135.85 if you stay all 5 nights at the Otani
    $108.68 if you stay only 4 nights and get a cheaper hotel room in LA for Wednesday night...

CAR.RENTAL---CAR.RENTAL---CAR.RENTAL---CAR.RENTAL---CAR.RENTAL

I took Amy to the airport today and stopped by the rental counters to get some information. I stopped at Avis first because they had the cheapest rates for the mini van that I researched, but I asked about 12-15 passenger vans. She said they didn't, but directed me down to the Enterprise counter. Here is the information they gave me:

Weekly Rental Rate $595.00 for either 12 or 15 passenger vans
    Daily Insurance $31.00 = $217.00
    Taxes = $149.00

Total for the Rental = $961

Enterprise told me that miles are unlimited, and there are no restrictions for taking it into California. Also, to rent the van, they take your total, and add $100. That $1061 is frozen on a credit car (no debit). So the only extra money for deposit is $100, and then you pay with that frozen money once you bring the van back. YAY! Only $100 for a deposit!

Add the Gas ($400) with an extra $50 for mpg = $1411 / 12-15 passengers = $117.50 - $94.00 per person round trip!
    But, this means that we need at least 12 people. Also, with 12 people, your share of the $100 deposit is less than $10...

9. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    Why do we need at least twelve people to rent the 12-15 passenger van?
    After typing that, it sounds like a dumb question, but I'm curious.
  10. wookiesrus Jedi Knight

star 1
    My guess is to keep the costs down [face_thinking]
  11. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, to hit the best price as listed above. Now we don't have to, but I'm sure everyone will want to spend less money if they possibly can. But then again, Maybe you only want a van for Spokantina/Tri-cities people. I guess that is up to Cheeser, since he is heading up this part of the trip. I guess I just want to get the van as full as it is going to be so I know how many people will need hotel rooms as well, which is my department. It would be a shame if I went shopping for roommates and some of the people in our van didn't end up having a place to stay...
  12. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    Yes, it is indeed about keeping our individual costs down for the van rental. It is 961 for the week, no matter how many people go. If there are 12, thats $80. For 15 people, that drops the per person price to $64 dollars. This does not include gas, which would have the same effect. I will contact the rental company and see if I can get a realistic estimate on mpg on the van, to help plan that cost better.

I will be getting in touch with everyone who is confirmed or possible for the trip in the next two weeks, keep an eye out for PMs from me.
  13. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I regret to inform people that as of now I will be unable to attend C4, this will probably be true unless I get a new job...
  14. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    What about your sister?
  15. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry to hear that Anthony, I'll try to remember to have your deposit for you when you come up next!
  16. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't really know, she would like to go but was going because I would be there...

Just wait on the money, I am getting ready to look for a new Job so maybe things will change or I can convince my current boss to allow non-paid vacation
  17. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Alright, we won't count you out just yet! It would be a shame to miss you there!
  18. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah I know Kelli, I really don't want to miss C4 but right now it doesn't look like I will be able to make it so long as my boss is saying no one can take more time off than they have paid vacation...

Any ways I will definately keep you updated on this, and hopefully I will find a new job before hand and get more spare money
  19. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    There is always the possibility of flying down. I hear that there is an airfare war going on or coming soon because of all the holiday messups. C4 IS on a holiday weekend, so you could attend a smaller portion of the convention. We have a car, so we could pick you up at the airport. Go check out fares to LAX!

Or another option is to ride back up in the van and just get a one way down after work on Friday or something...
  20. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The problem with that is after work friday becomes saturday morning, even with flying I would be there for maybe 24 hours or just a little longer and that is assuming some one isn't taking that weekend off and I have to work saturday or sunday.

I will look into it but I don't think the cost of plane tickets is worth 24 hours there...
  21. Jordi-WanKenobi20 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Is it to late to mail my hotel money? Is it still $25? I'm sorry I've been horrible with getting the money to you college is a time consumer and well somedays I'm just lazy...most days. Well you guys are still awesome.
  22. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Just a thought on your 'car rental' idea.

If you use a real credit card - not a debit card, you don't NEED the additional insurance which nips you down the nearly 200$

I found this out when I got a regular CC for my small business.
  23. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    That is true. I intend to make sure that the card used has insurance that covers the van. But untill that is confirmed, plan with the higher rental costs. If we don't have to pay, then the cost goes down.

24. DetShogan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hello! I'm from Emerald Squadron! was just looking for possible roomies, I have my pass and plane ticket (roundtrip) but nowhere to crash :( ... anyways, if anyone needs a spare paying body just PM me !!! thanks must!!
  25. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    Ok, according to the "head count" thread there are only three spokanites going, Me, my son, and Nathan. With the reduction in carpool numbers the plan to rent a van has been scratched. It would only make sense to rent a vehicle if there were 5 or more adults to split the cost and driving shifts. So I am looking for alternate transportation. I looked at expedia.com and the cheapest I could find for my son and I round trip was 250 bucks per person (500 for us). My mom has a friend that may get me buddy passes for Sammy and I (but no one else, sorry!) so we'll see how that goes.

Also in the "head count" thread, Jordan backed out of the guys room since he will be staying with his dad now. Do we want to contact DetShogan and other Emerald Squad members? I looked at their board yesterday and it looked like there were still some that had rides but no room yet.

When is the meeting on Saturday (4/12/7) and how much is the total cost for my son and me, because I'll just pay the whole thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.