main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Celebration IV-The Report

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MotherPalpatine, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I will just start with a run down of events first.

Thursday May 24th-Left for CIV sometime around 2:30pm traveling in the new Imperial Crusier with a 'not-so-well' Liz in the back seat. Arrived at the Hotel and got checked in around 7:00pm. We stayed at the Holiday Inn which was, in Los Angeles terms, across the street for the convention center. I managed to make a coup(with a friends help) and got rooms for everyone in our group which made it easier to come and go, especially in costume.
    Dan joined us and after unpacking we went to the Hotel Resturant for dinner. We had to wait a short time so we went to the bar and had a drink (I had the Yoda which was good.)and talked to some of the others that were gathering. Dan went on the Pub crawl with some of the others. We had dinner and interesting conversations and saw some more people we knew. Finally we went back to the room and went to bed.

Friday May 25th-The Wizard was up early for the Rebel Legion photo shoot and Liz and I followed him shortly as we had to deal with hair. We really didn't know where the shoot was but finally found it and again saw people we knew and met a few new. There was one Padme with the Peacock Dress that was impressive since she had devored the velvet herself. Liz, the Wizard and I went back to the Hotel and ran into Derek at the resturant along with Dan and had breakfast. We then got ready to head back to the convention.
    No lines to get inside once we returned and I finished donning my new Tusken. Liz and Dan went their way and the Wizard, Derek, and I headed off to see what we could see. At 12:30 I began my shift with Offical Pix. At 4:30 the Wizard met me and I again got into the Tusken and off we went to find the droid room. On the way however, we were stopped and asked to join a small group that was being gathered to greet the Mayor of Los Angeles before the Openning Ceremonies (we were not told it was the Mayor until we were there)which was nice because we were told we were selected because of the quality of our costumes. So, we got to meet the Mayor and see Steven Sansweet in the Ewok costume before anyone else, then get great seats for the show. I left before the ceremonies were over but after we had sang happy birthday and had been given cake. That was when I discovered that the convention center was surrounded by police cars and the street was blocked off. It seems someone had left a suitcase at a bus stop and someone thought it might be a bomb. So, I had to walk a long distance to get back to the Hotel.
    Photos from Friday:
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/MotherPalpatine/CIV/HomesteadDress1.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/MotherPalpatine/CIV/mayor.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/MotherPalpatine/CIV/PassingoutCake.jpg

Saturday May 26th-The Wizard and I went over to the convention to go into the Celebration store. On the way there we ran into people we knew and only a couple of them were rude. It is pretty sad when one can not even respond to a greeting but have to try and pretend you are not there as they hurry away. Sad and amusing. The rest were not rude and showed proper social skills. The Celebration store however was...I don't know what to say. It was overpriced and understocked. There were no lines but then no one really wanted to buy anything or much of anything. We bought a dogtag and a babycap. Wow!
    The Wizard wore his new Obi Wan Kenobi costume this day. He made the costume himself including the robe. This has been quite a project as we went looking for the right fabric for the outer robe. It is a rust brown as shown in the promo photos from episode III and not a dark brown as most other Jedi robes. Then the search for the tunic fabric, etc. We had a boot problem, as in they were made wrong, so different boots had to be used but otherwise the costume was very good and well received. After the store we walked around and then I went back to th Hotel and Liz and I began the makeup for Asajj. Just let me say, I hate bald cap

2. Liz_Skywalker

Liz_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    very nicely put!

and at least i have one picture of me in the Padme dress now =) oh, you have the link to the pic with Aunt Beru up twice. not sure if you meant to do that.

3. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Uh, no. Must try and fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.