Toronto Celebration Roll Call

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Cristalia, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Master

star 3
    Oh crap...that was for celebration...lol now i feel real daft...haha. no i cant make it...but i will make to the line up.
  2. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    Passport costs $85 and takes up to 10 business days to pick up, if you go in person.

Sayin' a which. I should do that soon.
  3. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone plan on going to the music concert and/or The Art of Starfighter exhibit ?

4. Lelila Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to go to the concert for sure :D Does this mean I have to bring something nice to wear or will my costume be fine?
  5. Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Master

star 3
    I think people may have trouble with their passports right now. If I am not mistaken, the governemtn workers who are currently on strike are the ones who do the passports. Meaning that you may have trouble...but i am not sure you need one to go to the states.
  6. Pissenlit Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm sure you don't need need one to go there...but after 9/11, it's probably best to have one on hand.
  7. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Passport offices are a Fedral responsibility. It's the Provincial workers who are on strike.
  8. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Unless you need a provincial birth certificate.

But if you have a birth certificate you won't need a passport for the US.
  9. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you sure? I don't have proper photo i.d. I have a student card (McMaster) and a birth card. No driver's license on other photo i.d

If I could eliminate the $100 I'd need to get the passport, I'd be very happy.

Maybe I should call the immigration office or something to find out.

I don't want to get turned away at the border.
  10. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, you will. From the Dept. of Foreign Affairs:
    Canadians travelling to and from the United States may experience difficulties entering, transiting, and/or returning if they do not possess valid photo identification and proof of citizenship. A valid Canadian passport is the most assured identification for both entry into the United States and re-entry to Canada. All carriers (notably airlines, but also rail and bus services) have tightened their policies concerning passengers' proof of admissibility into Canada. Since birth and baptismal certificates, for example, do not have photographs, they are no longer accepted by airline companies without valid accompanying photo identification. Even carriers that have transported Canadians from Canada to the United States on round-trip tickets have refused to return them to Canada without valid photo identification and proof of Canadian citizenship. Many travellers have been required to contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest consulate in the United States for assistance. Consular officials must verify documentation with either provincial or federal authorities. Verification of birth with provincial authorities now takes considerably longer and can cause travel delays; Canadians should obtain and safeguard all travel documents

---

Best to take the hour or two and shell out the money to get the proper ID than to be turned around at the border...
  11. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    yup. sigh. I would have liked to have spent that money on Star Wars stuff. Oh well.

12. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Driver's License, Health Cards, Age of Majority Cards, Armed Services cards are all valid forms of photo id however.
  13. Mori_Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    I got through fine with my driver's licence and my citizenship card (with a very old picture aka me as a 9 year old kid).

My friends had some trouble with health cards so I wouldn't suggest it. :)

14. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    hmm...I believe an age of majority card would be cheaper. I'll have to look into how long that will take to get and how expensive it would be. Any idea what department that falls under.

So...

If I had by birth certificate and an Age of Majority card, would I have any problems?

I'm going to be severely tight on money and any way to lessen the expense, is a welcome one.
  15. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    I've yet to find a place that's accepted the Health Card as a valid form of ID - several banks have refused it so far. Otherwise I would just stick with it and forgo the passport myself.

Info on the BYID card (age of majority) can be found here. It looks like it takes about four weeks for processing so if this is the route you're taking, best to act now. Of course, whether the cusotms officers choose to recognize it as a valid form of photo ID is up for question.
  16. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, Tragic.

I'll just get the passport. *sigh* Definitely the safer bet. I don't want to be turned away at the border.
  17. Lelila Jedi Master

star 4
    It's only a MONTH...A....WAY! *a la "tomorrow" from annie*

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY WOOT!
  18. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
  19. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    Adam - I've just realized that Celebration is less than a month away. Have you started on getting a passport because they take a while to process even if you go strait to the passport office.
  20. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't had the money for it yet. I will be going on Wednesday.

If you go in person it is their goal to have it ready for pick up within 10 working days.

It's later than I wanted but I think that it should be okay.
  21. Mori_Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright, alright...so I'm pretty excited. Sue me. ;)
  22. Kenobi2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, that's a pretty nifty website you have there Mori!

The only thing I'm not looking forward to with regards to CII is the drive.

Otherwise - :)
  23. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    M'Kay Adam, you have to get a picture, then get it signed by someone official who has known you for 2 or more years. I.E. a doc, or a dentist, then you show it up at the govn't office.

This pressure has been brought to you by the friend who would really hate to leave you standing at thye border. :)
  24. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    always with the observations, Ken :) But he is right, it is a cool site!

The trip down should be long but fun, I hope. Though, I guess it's more stressful for those driving. Since I dont' drive, I don't know your pain.
  25. Mori_Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    When you drive to Florida, Indy is a walk in the park. ;)

Btw are we (or anyone) planning to attend that concert? :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.