Celebration V Glass... Whaaaaa?!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by BackInBlack, Jan 27, 2012.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. BackInBlack Jedi Youngling

I need your help... I attended Celebration V in Orlando. Among the collectables, I purchased a Celebraion V glass

Tonight, I was watching Star Trek Deep Space 9, drinking my 9th Miller Light within the glass, when all of the sudden the bottom just fell out of the mug and my beer went everywhere... Has anyone else had such an experience with this glass? Thanks for your input.

P.S. I already know the mug was probably mad that I was watching DS9 and not the Clone Wars or whatever...
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Unfortunately your link doesn't work so I can't view your photo.

However, if the bottom wasn't an integral part of the glass then it's possible the glue holding it together just gave way due to age.

(Or it could have been the Dark Side punishing you for watching S**r T**k.)
  3. BackInBlack Jedi Youngling

I still can't get the link to work, but if you copy and paste starting with http: and ending with s:20, it works.

I guess it could have been the glue coming undone. It was such a shock, especially in my state of mind. I had never heard of such a thing happening before.

4. Mr_Mundi Jedi Master

star 4
    The link doesn't work because you are not linking directly to the photo.
    This should work: [image=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4907220125_b87527c720.jpg]

Though I did go to CV, then I didn't buy this glass, so I can't help on the "how common is it" question.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    If that's the glass in question then I'm surprised. I was thinking of something more like a beer mug with a plastic bottom. I could see that falling out. This glass looks pretty solid. Did you drop it? Maybe it had a crack in the bottom that opened up. Alternatively, had it been washed in a dishwasher in hot water? If so that might have damaged it.
  6. BackInBlack Jedi Youngling

Yeah, I didn't even realize it could have been multiple pieces of glass glued together. I had been washing it in the dishwasher since I got it, as there were no instructions not to. I guess the glue just gave out, which is a shame. It was my favorite mug.
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    That's probably what did it then. I know I have an old mug from Disney's Star Tours and the instructions with it said not to put it in a dishwasher.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT