Celebration V rumors by Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration VI, VII, Europe II' started by pwinklespi, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joesdomain Jedi Knight

star 1
    Seems like the two overseas Celebrations are getting better displays and exhibits that in the U.S.
  2. Moff_D Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    On the other hand, how hard can it be to sit there and collect $100+ from every person who wants your signature on some piece of memorabilia? Sounds like an easy day of work to me ;)
  3. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh heck! I'll only charge $50 for my signature! Please form an orderly line to the left. Thank-you.
  4. Amidala081499 Force Ghost

star 3
    Ditto...lol.

I would be really excited to have someone ask me for my autograph, over and over. Geesh!!!

Getting paid for it would make it even more enticing!!!
  5. Grand Admiral Strife retired

Manager
    star 5
    I remember at one con I was dressed in my Vader armor and little kids, no more than 4 or 5 in age, were walking up to me notepads and pens in hand, asking for my autograph; so I gave each one a little doodle signed 'Darth Vader' :p
  6. Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah... okay.
  7. Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL It's not that really. I just don't like the mentality that Star Wars is some holier then thou topic. Yes they're movies we all know and love but where is it said we have to tolerate everything they throw at us? I've been a fan for over 30 years so I think I'm entitled to have an opinion. Mark Hammil played an iconic roll. That's it. He's hardly considered a "fantastic" actor by any stretch of the imagination and to act like he's doing people a favor by going to a convention celebrating a film that gave him a very nice life is just crazy. I'd rather see Warwick Davis any day. That man actually wants to be at these things and he wants to meet fans. He appreciates his roll in it all. So do others like Ray Park, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker. Billy Dee is another one I wouldn't cross the street again to meet. If they have no respect for their fans then I have no respect for them.

I have exited the soap box... LOL!
  8. pwinklespi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Mark Hamill can eat it. He didn't show up to CIII, he didn't show up to CIV and he probably won't show up to CV. But he'll travel all the way to Japan to go to CJ. He can chew on my underwear. He has been disrespectful to the American fans. He talks about Star Wars, HIS ONLY REAL JOB, with such distain. Get over yourself. At least Harrison Fod did a live video feed for Comic Con.

Voice over acting loser. "Joker here!"
  9. JediJustin Jedi Master

star 4
    My man Pwink! Where have you been all my life? ;)

- Justin
  10. Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    OMG! He snapped Justin. He must have been in a rubber room or something... slipped off his meds. WOW! I'm like Mr. Rogers comapred to him. Jesh. LOL!

11. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4

Yep, very sour, sour grapes indeed.

12. ValedaKor Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey, he's just expressing his opinion. That's what this forum is for, isn't it? The discussions on this board have reflected many diverse opinions, but most of us have tried to be courteous while disagreeing. So I'd like to see that courtesy from everyone, if you please.
  13. Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Has anyone here ever actually met Mark Hamil? What were your impressions? Seems like in the later years he's been more "pro-Star Wars" but I distinctly remember some biterness from him in the years immediately following Jedi. I saw on IMD he's done a lot of voice work over the last year or so but now that's he going to CJ, maybe he will make C5.
  14. JediJustin Jedi Master

star 4
    And don't forget to keep those fingers tightly crossed for the star of ROTS to make it to C5 - Ian McDiarmid!

- Justin
  15. Doctor_Evil Jedi Knight

star 1
    We've been specifically told nothing will be announced until after Celebration Japan. I'm hoping perhaps they'll announce something AT CJ. That would be cool.
  16. ShadaErsari Jedi Master

star 1
    Personally, I'm to the point where I don't really care one way or the other is Hamill makes it to CV. It's a 100% chance that I won't pay the price required to obtain his autograph, so there's no way I'm gonna get the chance to meet the guy. So aside from looking at him, there's not much of a deal there. ;)

Now if Ewan McGregor showed up...yeah, I could look at him and be happy. No autograph required. *grin*

Anyway, Celebration Japan is coming up, so if they do their announcing after CJ, then we don't have much longer to wait. :) Just need to be patient.
  17. ValedaKor Force Ghost

star 5
  18. Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
  19. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember reading back toward the end of 1977 that Lucas granted the lead actors (Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Guiness and Cushing) to SW a small percentage of the profits of the movie - something like 0.5% or less. Not much, but given how much the movie made, it adds up. But I don't have any confirmation and it's been a very long time since I read that.
  20. Lufta Shif Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes. I, too, would be happy. Quite happy indeed. :D
  21. JayTee_Erricck Force Ghost

star 2
    Even though I (sadly) doubt I'll be able to make C5, I will be ECSTATIC if Mark Hamill makes it to C6 (which I hope to do as well). Or, that is, whatever Star Wars Celebration it is that commemorates an upcoming birthday for "Return of the Jedi".

A side note but, I'm wondering if the fact that Mr. Hamill lived in Japan for a period of his childhood is helping to motivate him to attend Celebration Japan. In any case, I am happy for the Japanese fans and whoever else attends that event.

May the Force be with us.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

22. Lufta Shif Jedi Knight

star 2
    You are right, Jay_Tee! Mark did live in Japan in his youth. Perhaps he is taking the wife and kids and is making a vacation out of it. You know, show the family your old stomping grounds.

Fellow TF.Ners, I believe Mark did intend to attend CIV, but he made the decision too late for GenCon and/or Official Pix to provide adequate crowd control. Face it, "Luke" just couldn't just pop into the LACC without notice. He would have been mobbed. Not fun for anyone. In his defense, Mark is a busy man with, yes, voice acting. And he is a darn good one. :)

See: Mark's IMDB entry to see how busy I mean!
  23. Padme501st Force Ghost

star 1
    Well i guess the reason why the lead stars from the main trilogy didnt get paid as much is that first off, they had no clue how much money it would make. Yeah after the release of ANH they saw it was popular enough to make the next two but who was to say that over 30 years from then it still would be iconic and would have conventions?

Another problem is that the main 3 probably saw Star Wars as their big break when it became big. Well Harrison Ford got what he wanted but Carrie and Mark didnt make it the same way he did and i believe that's because Luke is THE main male lead and Leia is the main female lead. Personally i prefer Han over Luke but tbh he is more of a secondary male lead compared to Luke and i think that helped Harrison move on more. The other two got stuck and struggled a lot more and I'm sure there was some resentment to that. I believe Mark is slowly coming to grasp with that and that's why he is starting to show up more to events like a convention. And definitely, if you go overseas at least make it to one of the US conventions as well.
  24. Moff_D Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It should be fairly common knowledge by now that Lucas shared profit points with principle players in making SW. Ford, Hamill and Fisher received half a point, Guinness a full point (a point usually equals 1%). In its initial run, SW grossed some $300 million (and about $160 million since, so if they still get this profit sharing they are doing okay--and that is just domestic earnings). I think it would be safe to say they all earned at least 1 or 2 million each from SW in its initial run with Guinness doubling whatever the big three made (and this is in 1970s dollars). I think they haven't been too worried about money since then, so a little gratitude in the form of appearing at Celebrations should be doable I would think ;)

Its all in The Making of Star Wars (Fisher's remark about Guinness and his full point is rather amusing) although I can remember first hearing about this a year or two after the original run of SW.
  25. ValedaKor Force Ghost

star 5
    You would think, Moff_D. But there has always seemed to be other issues at work. Carrie Fisher has definitely made peace with her "claim to fame," as it were. At least we have that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.