main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V rumors by Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006

OMG. I think I just wet myself? Baltimore? BALTIMORE? I live 25 minutes away from Baltimore and I hang out in the city ALL the time. I'm down there nearly every weekend for the football games!!! That's awesome. It's really not a bad city. There are places you DON'T want to go but really, the harbor is so much fun. It's a much better choice then Indy. Don't know about the others though. I wouldn't mind checking out Orlando.

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I like the comics, and I've kept up with all them, but it's purely a matter of taste, I'm sure LOL. Or more likely in my case, just ensuring that I have a complete collection of ALL the SW comics published :cool:.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    How many people go to Balticon? That should be a good indication on the size of facilities available there.

As for the others mentioned, Chicago, to me, still makes sese as it is a major airline hub ad easily accessible. Orlando I'm a bit meh at, I think for there it depends on the time of year. Ask the guys trooping the Star Wars Weekends, being fully costumed in Orlando in summer is not fun. We all know Indy, and Dingo. I am counting with you.

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I am so crashing at your place, Bri. ;)

5. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    A lot of cool places to go around the city... the bar district, comedy clubes. There's ESPN Zone and Hard Rock within walking distance to the convention center, not to mention the harbor itself. There are two large pavilions (like mini malls) right at the harbor. We also have one of the best aquariums and of course the Science Center WITH IMAX, all within walking distance of the convention center.

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I've been to the Baltimore Comic Con and it's super small. As a matter of fact, last time I believe they had a couple of cons going on at once there. It would more then large enough to hold a Celebration me thinks.

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    OMG, I just realized our stars are back -- obviously celebrating the JC's Tenth Anniversary. Nice to see them :).

8. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    What are they for? I don't think I've ever seen them before. What is the significance with the number and color?

9. jorbex

jorbex Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2006
    They seem to be equivalent to Rebelscum's rank bars; click on them to see their significance! :)

10. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Celebration V i think would be great for Balitmore. I just hope they are holding off for 2010. That would be a much better year for me atleast.

11. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I don't mean to come across as being rude and all, but those other attractions have no appeal to me during a Celebration.

When I attend a Celebration, I am there for the con and the con only. I get in the doors each day as soon as possible and stay as late as possible.

I could never see myself attending some other function while the con was still open. If the convention is still open, I am there.

Again, that is just my (and my wife's) opinion. We don't have any children to accommodate, so these other attractions would be important for families traveling I would guess. Or for fans who might only be able to attend the con for 1-2 days.

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ditto Justin -

MCO (Orlando) would be pure hell if it was in the spring - flights are always full in the spring starting in the fall.

The midwest would be fine and dandy - as you said, easy to get to as a lot of airlines have hubs there.

13. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Thank goodness they aren't considering LA again. Here's hoping it's back in Indianapolis, though Baltimore or Chicago would be OK with me too.

Scanning old posts, I decided to post an updated tote board of Celebration Announcement stats (originally written by Sebulba-X) so we can see how this information fits in with typical celebration information being released.

Celebration 2:
    Unofficial News Broke/Confirmed: 03/23/2001 (144 days before Offical Announcement, 406 days before event)
    Official Site Announcement: 08/14/2001 (262 days prior to event)
    Celebration 2 Starts: 05/03/2002

Celebration 3:
    Unofficial News Broke/Confirmed: 11/04/2003 (80 days before Offical Announcement, 534 days before event)
    Official Site Announcement: 01/23/2004 (454 days prior to event)
    Celebration 3 Starts: 04/21/2005

Celebration 4:
    Unofficial News Broke/Confirmed: 04/21/2006 (35 days before Official Announcement, 398 days before event)
    Official Site Announcement: 05/26/2006 (363 days prior to event)
    Celebration 4 Starts: 05/24/2007

Celebration 5:
    Coming soon ;)

14. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Excellent observation, Moff. C-Japan was indeed officially announced on Feb 23rd.

Even if we don't hear anything official about C5 until October, that would still give LFL over 7 months to plan for the con, assuming an April/May release timeframe.

2009 is still a strong possibility, my friends. =D=

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks for the timetable; it sure looks like all bets are off for the next one as to annoucement timeframe. The lawsuit has a lot to do with that, I'm sure; LFL had to find another management company. Still, as long as the venue is secure, the rest can fill in itself, more or less, as it is a formulaic concept. The problem is confirming guests, but I would hope that the "usual suspects" :cool: have kept their calendars fairly clear.

16. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Just throwing that info out there in case anyone was curious. A couple of the places I mentioned were places to eat and as I recall that was quite a concern during the last several conventions. I imagine since there is an IMAX across the street they would have some type of Star Wars attraction for a few days. They always seem to be intune with what's going on. This city has it's problems, but it comes together nicely for big events. Seems like everyone gets in on the action when there is something going on.

17. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Oh I know, Bri. Like I said, I didn't want to come across as not appreciating the info you provided.

18. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I really don't care if Gen Con runs it. I just want to be able to go. If they choose Balitmore, Orlando, or Minneapolis then I won't be going. My truck can't handle that long of a drive and the fuel expense would be too great. Let's hope Indy gets it for Spring, 2010. They deserve another shot at it with a new company managing it. Chicago would be ok.

19. ShadaErsari

ShadaErsari Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Oh, the time table was interesting...thanks for posting that. I don't suppose I ever really realized that word broke out unofficially before we had our "real" announcement. But it only makes sense, really.

With the way that Celebration Europe and Celebration Japan have been announced, planned and executed, I'm really not sure what we can expect in terms of a timetable. I still have my hopes set on 2009, but I understand that a lot of people wish for more time to plan and whatnot. I suppose I've been planning since the end of CIV. :) Plus, I can show off my costumes sooner. ;) So yay. lol

20. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    More News and Rumors from TF.N

"Things are looking up in for Celebration 5 being in the mid-west or on the east coast. An article from the Baltimore Business Journal quotes Steve Sansweet that Baltimore is indeed on the list of cities being considered.

The cities mentioned on the list include:

Baltimore
    Minneapolis
    Chicago
    Indianapolis
    Orlando

Click here for the full read!"

The full article makes mention of Celebration V being held in either the Spring of 2009 or the Spring of 2010. I'm gonna take my guess that they'll shoot for 2010 at the rate that we're going...

21. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yep, that's the same article that we've been talking about for a while, a few posts up.

22. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    Oh, my apologies. :-\ I must not have seen the link for the article before. I recognize it now. I'm sorry...

23. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Nah, no worries. It was a ways up there :).

24. quigonjaf1961

quigonjaf1961 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2006
    I think it could be at the end of this month we will hear something ? I hope its 2009 because i want to combine C5 with the Lincoln 200th birthday celebrations with a visit to Springfield to the Abraham Lincoln Presidetial Library & Museum, if its 2010 it wont be the same.

25. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    Ok, can we change the banner now? :D

Who is good at designing such things? One with a landmark from all cities in the running would be oh so cool. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.