main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V rumors by Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    I remember being a little surprised to see C4 scheduled for the same time of year as the previous three: I had thought that, without the need to coincide with a new movie, they'd move it up into June or later to when more schools were out.

OTOH they were trying to coincide with the 30th anniversary of ANH's initial release. And perhaps there is more competition for convention space at such times. Or they know holding it during school doesn't impact attendance. Or something else. :)

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, NP, as the numbers indicate, having the convention during a school year certainly doesn't seem to matter for attendance :). "If you [hold] it, they will come" :cool:.

3. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I could not see LFL holding a Celebration during the Fall. That would bring added weather-related issues in addition to the children heading back to school.

I personally love the May timeframe. Keeps it right in line with the release of SW and maintains that connection to the film that started it all.

- Justin

4. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Aren't kids still in school during May? I know here in Baltimore they go until June. Doesn't matter. I'd keep my son out for a few days... wouldn't hurt anything.

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    As a NYC resident, I'd have to say that NYC is NOT the place for C5. The Javits is not big enough and hotels are no where near by, you'd need to take a taxi or bus to get to the center everyday. NYC has New York Comic Con (it's 3rd year this year) and the first year, the Fire Marshall had to close the center down for 1 hour because of overcrowding :oops:.

My vote is for Baltimore or another east coast city that I could easily drive to :)

6. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006

I live out on the island, and I couldn't agree with you more. NYC would be the WORST place to host C5 for the reasons you mentioned, let alone the sheer traffic mayham that would ensue.

I'm all for an East Coast location - but not here in NY.

- Justin

7. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    It's going to be here in Baltimore and I'm going to be the mod. LOL!!! That's too funny. I'd have to give temp bans on myself. =)

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    No, I'd asked to be held over for that :) :) :).

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Considering I just went there for spring break... I vote a bit NO on Baltimore.

10. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    WOWSA...I love the way this thread is going, all the anticipation and "fingers being crossed" ... outstanding.

I am so excited I could pop a button. I have been checking all sorts of things for C5. Val is right, the time schedule is right on cue. I too looked over C3 and C4 stuff, that I had from the past, and it all adds up. I do not see a C5 in fall, I am certain it will be in April or May.

Justin - love your comments. You always excite me with your excitement and enthusiasm. I forgot about OZ...that would be a great addition to the signers club. Yoda rules...lol.

So, now we wait...like standing in line for a new Star Wars movie. This is where all the excitement comes from...the anticipation and crowds of people...all joining in one mission...To go to a galaxy far, far away...AGAIN!!!

OOOOO, can't wait!!!

Anyone wanna bombard Steve with questions? lol

11. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I think I'd ask for that as well. I'd ban Pwinkie in a heart beat just for the heck of it. LOL!

12. quigonjaf1961

quigonjaf1961 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2006
    I am from the UK i would prefer an east coast celebration as its much cheaper for airfares and also the flying time is much less than LA if it is LA i will break the journey up with a stopover 11 or 12 hours was a bit too much on my legs(i have MS),as with the finances i am ready to go for 2009 as soon as the announcement comes through,i cant wait!!

13. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    The official C5 announcement = "This will be a day long remembered". =D=

- Justin

14. quigonjaf1961

quigonjaf1961 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2006
    When do you think the announcement will come ?

15. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    This thought has been bounced around here by others already.

If LFL is aiming for another May release, and if form holds true to what happened with the CIV announcement, we should hear the official C5 announcement one year before the actual date of the con.

So assuming a May 2009 release, I would say look for the official announcement to come in 6-8 weeks.

Purely speculation on my part of course.

- Justin

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I think the Philly convention site could hold something this big and there are tons of hotels within easy walking distance.

I agree that NYC's Jacob Javitts center just isn't a good idea. Of course, they could have it in Atlanta. They have Dragoncon there every year and that's a lot of people, too.

I just hope it's drivable from NJ. CIV cost me a ton of money with flying and hotel.

17. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I'm excited that we probably will have CV next year. I'm also glad that there is a possibility that it wont be in LA, due to the fact it was the reason i couldnt go to CIV (too expensive etc)

Personally i would much rather have the convention in the middle of the US than right on one of the coast. while i'll have to fly either way, i think it would be fairer for fans, the ones on the east coast doesnt have to fly all the way to the west coast, the west coast fans doesnt have to fly all the way to the east, it would cut the travel time for them a lot. I think like Kansas, Missouri, Idaho, maybe even Oklahoma would be better states, though when you think of it, a Tornado coming through CV wouldnt be the greatest.

I really enjoyed CIII and Indianapolis was very cool to be in and pretty affordable, but if we are looking at other cities, i think a place about as big would be good, a big city like Chicago or NYC would just be chaotic, IMO.

Like it has been mentioned by others, there are a lot of factors involved in choosing a city beside distance, like the crime rate, weather etc.

I'm going to start saving, cause i'm going to have to go to this one. I miss those big conventions :(

18. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Not sure what I'd like to see at CV. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd like to see the whole autograph thing revamped. Just always seems like the same people signing. I'd like to see more ineractive events... maybe a "Froce Unleashed" competition or something really over the top like saber battles. Hey, if they can have air guitar competitions, why not some good old fashioned light saber fights? LOL! I'd just like to see something a little different.. some movie viewings etc.

19. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    We did have the Movie Marathon on Wednesday at CIV, ya know.

- Justin

20. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah? That's cool. I didn't know that. Were people excited about that? I'm just wondering what the vibe was like... whenever I've seen a Star Wars movie in public it seemed like people were really into it. When Sith was in the theaters, it played at this historic theater in Baltimore. We rented out the private balcony for the final viewing and had a great time. We poked fun at the film in certain parts... it was just good fun and most of us felt it was the last time we'd ever see Star Wars on the big screen.

21. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Going to the Movie Marathon on Wednesday was great -- a huge room filled with fans! It was a lot of fun. And some of us diehards stayed for the whole thing :).

22. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    CIV was great in LA. All I heard from people complaining was how much the flight cost to come from where ever in the States. It was always to much no matter where they were from. People complained it was $200 for their flight. Try flying from Canada where the average flight to LA was $600 and we never complained once. We booked our Hotel which cost us $185 or so a night at the Sheraton and didn't complain. The guy in the next room was complaining he pricelined his room and got it for $85 a night and was still complaining. In our mind up here they could have CV on the moon and we'd still show up and not complain about it.

The only thing that we couldn't understand was with a huge convention in town everything downtown LA shuts down at night and on the weekends. Thank god we found a Irish Pub to drink at every night.

Also the reason the same people show up to autograph is because that where they make their money at. And it's not like they can change who was in the movie.

23. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    The MM was easily one of the highlights of my CIV trip. But I know some fans were upset about it being held on Wednesday because that was the day a lot of them were traveling.

My wife and I flew into LA on Tuesday, so we were able to attend the MM without any problems.

The vibe was amazing. The atmosphere was electric with so many fellow fans all gathered in one location to see the Saga together.

If they have it again at C5, I would HIGHLY recommend attending it.

It was an experience that I will never forget and could never duplicate on my own.

- Justin

24. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I have already been number crunching the hotel cost . I so HOPE that it is in Chicago so I can drive and not fly.

25. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    So you dont feel like you missed out on things that happened that day cause you were watching the movies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.