main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V rumors by Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I doubt Nashville though that would be awesome cause its really close. its horrible to drive in though. Cincinnati airport is one of the best airports i've ever been to, so it would be good for people that flies but i dont know how the convention center is

2. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    The convention center is not nearly as good as Indy. or L.A., but I would not mind if it were in Cinci. just so I would not have to pay for a hotel or parking and just catch a bus downtown.
    But that's just me.[face_peace]

3. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    I think Cleveland or Pittsburgh would be nice. Extra fun things to do as well.

But, just wishful thinking, Chicago would be great, but who cares...I will be there.

4. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Was the aknowsment for CIV a full year?
    Im sure they will wait till after C:Japan to say anything.

5. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    The pattern is to announce a year in advance, but apparently it's been said they are waiting until after Celebration Japan. And since Celebration Japan is about the same time as Comic-Con, maybe they'll elaborate further during Steve's talk while he's down here for SW Day.

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Would be nice, huh? If they hold off until mid summer, I wonder if the Con will still be held in the spring. Guess that's more then enough time. I don't have the dates in front of me. Were all of the Celebrations held in the same month?

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    No. Denver and L.A. were in May, but the ones in Indy were held in April (because the whole town is booked for the 500, in May :)).

8. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    With some careful investigation, we might be able to narrow down where this could be if it's in fact going to be April/May of 2009. Start listing potential cities and convention centers and then check their schedules. LOL! We should start a pool! LOL!

9. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I can't find any of the possible cities that have their convention center calendars up that far yet :).

10. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    well i had checked the Chicago Con calendar and they've got nothing for April or May of next year.

Personally, i would like the convention to be held like the 2nd week of may or something close to that, I would go if it was Memorial Day weekend but i think it will be better if it wasnt cause there are a lot of people who goes and visits family that weekend and with thousands of fans heading one way... you know.

Indy is seriously booked till 2010, between proms and shows. it's ashame the Lucas Oil Stadium is a stadium, it would be cool to have a SW convention in a place named Lucas

St. Louis has got nothing that i can found that is booked

Cincinnati (is it just me or does it have 3 levels?) is booked till the 10th of May, after that they got nothing for the rest of the month

Pittsburgh has got most of the weekend spaces filled for may, I'm going with the convention lasting Thursday- Sunday, as for April they can squeeze it on the 23 (being thursday) and that weekend but they do have something already on the 22 so that's not going to work. The early weeks of April is fine.

That's all i got so far, all in all while some cities have nothing planned for right now they need to hurry up and choose a place and reserve it

11. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I doubt they would choose a Memorial Day weekend again. That is a bad idea to choose that weekend. I think a June convention is better. During the peak driving season! Most kids are done with school or college. No major holiday travel to cause problems at airports for people! No winter weather to upset people. Indiana Convention Center is always booking alot of the smaller conventions 2-3 years ahead of schedule. Except for Gencon Indy, Drum Corm International and FFA convention. We really don't need a star wars convention that starts on a wednesday. 4 days is the perfect leangth of time. I am sure celebrity actors would be inclined to attemd shorter conventions than one that is long.

12. joesdomain

Feb 14, 2006
    I just checked the Indy convention center calendar has of April 10, 2008. It has a huge opening between May 2, 2009 thru May 15, 2009. From previous years looks like proms were held the first 7 days there. It is still possible that is Indy convention center is available. The Indy 500 does not use the convention center for anything except for two days at the beginning of the month for the Indy Mini-Marathon information pickup. I doubt Indy 500 spectators are going to book rooms two weeks or three weeks before the 500. Most of the booking is around Indy 500 weekend and memorial day weekend. Not many people show up for practice or qualifying through the month. I have seen it myself in person. It is possible.

13. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    one of my favorite parts of the Indy con center was the fact that you could cross the skybridge over and eat lunch at the mall's food court which made food very affordable, and you didnt have to go far away to get it

14. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    The Memorial Day weekend was a great idea. It allowed fans to spend an extra attending the con, and they didn't have to take another day off from work. More fans in attendance = more profits, so having CIV over a holiday weekend was a very good idea, both from a financial & fan standpoint.

CIV officially started on Friday, not Wednesday. The Movie Marathon was held on Wednesday, and Thursday was Hyperspace FC members only day. So while some fans did technically start their CIV experience on Wednesday, that was not the case for everybody in attendance. CIV was a 4-day con for loads of fans.

How do you know if actors would rather prefer a shorter con? This is pure speculation on your part. If the $$$ is right and their schedule permits it, and the producers of C5 step up the plate with appearance fees for the actors, there will be just as many of them there for a 3 day or 5 day convention.

- Justin

15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Also, a longer Con means that there is more chance to fit with different schedules. From memory Jake Lloyd was only able to attend on the Friday due to commitments (don't hold me to that though) and thus if it didn't start until Saturday then he would not have been there.

16. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think they care one way or another if the con is short or long. If they can't make it for the entire duration because of their schedule, they go for a shorter period of time. It's not that uncommon. Plus, a good majority (not all of course) of the actors like to meet their fans and it's also very lucrative. Let's face it, not all of them are raking in the bucks. For some it's a major source of income. I bet a few have made more money at the various cons then they ever did in the films.

17. joesdomain

Feb 14, 2006
    I was just basing it off some of the actors who are older and may have trouble getting through and entire convention that is long. Kenny Baker on the last day at CIII was looking like he was worn out. He was sweating and looked like he had trouble breathing. Michael Sheard was the same way but then i did not know he had cancer.

18. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I'd be happy with just about any non-major midwest city just to help keep costs down.

19. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Fingers crossed that Helen's suggestion of Steve Sansweet making a C5 announcement at Comic-Con does indeed come true.

- Justin

20. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    AMEN Brother! I wait is killing me.

21. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah but he's a big time convention hopper. He makes most of his money at the cons. I'm sure if he didn't want to be there the whole time he wouldn't. He's a nice dude too.. meet him if you can.

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Indy may be out because of the construction going on at the center. That's why I figure if they're going to pick a Midwest city, Chicago is probably their first choice. It's just that McCormick has that "no place to stay or get a bite to eat close by" problem, same as L.A.

23. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    I don't know how Chicago would be, but at C4 even though the distance between our hotel and the convention center (we stayed at the Sheraton) seemed a long-ish walk on the map, we found we could do it in a few minutes, and that was when we felt like walking; the shuttles were great and a bus almost always seemed to be waiting for us either at the convention or the hotel.

24. joesdomain

Feb 14, 2006
    I checked the Chicago conventer center website. No calendar schedule for 2009 yet. When you look for close hotels to stay, there is only the Hyatt next to it. No listing for eating places or other hotels. I am not sure i would want to travel by cab or bus just to find eating or entertainment in chicago. That was one of the bonus features of Indy. Hotels surrounding the convention center with skywalks. A mall connecting it for shopping and entertainment. There is a Borders Bookstore 2-3 minutes walk from the center to. There are steakhouses, pubs, and other eating places surrounding the mall. Alot of Parking garages also! Indy was designed for convention centers. New York, L.A. and Chicago were not set up for that. You can check the Indy convention center website and it has all the hotels, restuarants, parking listed.

25. quigonjaf1961

quigonjaf1961 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2006
    Yes its killing me too,i just wish they would get a move on!!As soon as its announced i will be onto the airlines websites quicker than the time it takes for Qui Gon to ignite his lightsabre!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.