main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V should return to Indianapolis!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Among other cities...

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    But Ulfor, if we accept the 2009 date, the Indy expansion won't be done by then, will it? So with construction and all, that kinda rules out Indianapolis, seems to me.

3. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Ulfor, driving distance isn't the only category they look at when deciding on a location. There's also the proven "Size of Convention" factor :D . If CV is held in the spring of 2009 (Q#20), your state would fail miserably (see VK's post above).

In my interpretation, a possible intent of question #20 is to see if a majority of fans prefer a major Celebration every couple of years vs. many scattered Celebrations in various parts of the country in every few months.

4. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Nevertheless, the question strongly suggests that LA is not a lock for C5.

5. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    How do you figure that?

LA and surronding areas are so much more heavily populated that the reverse would actually be true if you think about it. Indy would be a shorter flight for us east coasters, but then it becomes a long flight for the west coasters. And either way, it's still not "Driving Distance." It just makes it driving distance for the more sparsley populated middle states and that does not offset SoCal, which then has to fly. Logically, the 2 best spots for a Celebration to have the most people able to Drive to it Would be LA or NY City. No flyover cities even come close. Not Even Chicago.

Whenever people make this argument and try to make it sound like they are looking out for most of the country, it just does not hold up. Just admit you would like to see C5 closer to YOU and at least you are being honest.

-Doc

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Why do people always have to play the "you just want C5 closer to YOU" card every time they disagree with someone? If you don't agree with someone's opinion, fine. Post your counterpoint and move on, but for the love of God please stop assuming everyone has their own agenda. [I'm talking about everybody, not just you Doc]

And I'm sorry Doc, but I have to disagree with everything you posted. A flight from LA to Indy is about 4 hours. A flight from New York to Indy is about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Sure the flight from the West coast is almost twice a long, but who is really going to complain about a 4 hour flight? Especially when a flight going all the way across the country is 6+ hours. You should probably also look at a map or something and think again about driving distances to Indy. Most of the US is within a day's driving distance. The West Coast states (which are much less populated than the east coast, btw) are a little over a days drive. If you look at it from the standpoint of a family with kids, driving to Indy is a much easier option than driving across the country from Atlanta or New York to LA - especially when flying with small children is almost not an option. The reality is, no matter where it is held it's going to be inconvenient for someone. Having it a close distance to the most people would be advantageous but certainly not completely necessary based on the attendance figures from C4.

7. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks, Grimby, I couldn't have stated it better. The only point I'm trying to make as the one who started this thread is that Question 20 would imply that the location for C5 has not been determined. Otherwise, why would they be asking the question? Overall, I believe this has been a good exchange of ideas on where the next Celebration should be held, and that is the spirit in which I started the thread. Hopefully, some of the arguments raised ultimately will make their way to those who will make the final decision on location. And as you say, all opinions on this question should be considered.

8. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Most people have their own objective, like myself. I'd like it to be in LA, Orlando, or Las Vegas because I like those cities and I like that they also have huge convention centers. I do not want it to be in Indy because it is too similar to home (I live in Chicago).

IMO it's beneficial to assume that most people have their own agenda when they choose to post the facts that befit the situation. For the most part they are done in good faith. It may be true for them but not for others. For example, I do not agree with the statement "Driving to Indy is much easier for most of the population...therefore CV should be held there."

Driving to Indy is easier for me versus driving to a city like Orlando, BUT IMO, the next Celebration should not be held in Indy!

I have a son who is turning 4 in September and if I bring him with me to the next Celebration, driving to Indy IS NOT an easier option. I would rather fly for 4 hours with him (like on a recent trip) versus drive for 3 hours to Indy.

I hope enough people do not want it in Indy and stated their opinions on the GenCon Survey!

On a slightly different topic...

I talked briefly with someone who said that she preferred the "elbow to elbow" crowd situation at CIII compared to CIV. I was actually kind of shocked with her statement because that's one of the things I hated about CIII. Who here agrees with her, and what are your reasons for liking the overcrowded situation?

9. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I thought we were done with this. Although the replies have been respectful, I don't want to see this get out of hand.

GenCon will put C-V where Lucasfilm tells them to, in a city that still has space. That's it. Bottom line. It is my guess, based on the input from the members of the Los Angeles Site Selection Committee, that it will be back in Los Angeles in 2009. You must understand how much money it costs to put on one of these things; the LACC gave Lucasfilm a dynamite deal to ink a multi-year commitment. Money talks, folks. Indy is out because of construction, many other cities are out because their convention centers are not large enough, and any other convention center worth its salt is already booked for Spring of 2009. If Lucasfilm determines to move this convention out of L.A. it will cost a lot of money. In a non-movie year, I can't see that happening.

Going to Celebrations should have taught you that it doesn't matter what the attendees think, it is what TPTB in San Francisco want that determines the location. If our input had anything to do with it, GenCon would not be running this convention, after the ticket troubles of the last two meetings.

10. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    There is NEVER any good reason for liking an overcrowded, elbow-to-elbow convention IMO. [face_plain]

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Well I guess that still leaves room to discuss our opinions on possible locations, since LA is obviously not a lock.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm quite surprised 2009 (TPM's 10th Anniversary) is suggested instead of 2010 (TESB's 30th Anniversary), because basically TPM already had Celebration I. But as a fan of both I don't care which is getting celebrated.

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    But Grimby, you have made your point and should now move on, as you have asked others to do. Isn't that right? What's the point of responding? C-V will be where it will be. This thread is done.

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I disagree. I think this thread has become more of a "discuss what you think about possible locations" discussion rather than a "C5 should be in this city because I said so" discussion. What's the harm in speculating and discussing possible locations?

15. Doctor_Evil

Jun 23, 2002
    **edited cause I'm sick of the topic**

16. Doctor_Evil

Jun 23, 2002
    Yeah, I've hesitated to bring it up, but there have been a number of people complained that the LACC was TOO big and they got tired going from event to event or that they "Preferred" the closeness of a smaller Con Center.

I suppose preferences vary and you could prefer crowded, but Lord knows I don't. I think some of these folks were just not ready for the physical nature of a big convention. Maybe the person you talked to did not fall in that category, but some held it against GenCon or the LACC that their physical conditioning was not quite up to the task. I don't think that would have changed no matter were it was.

I'm as fat and generally out of shape as the next guy. Probably worse. But I learned from C3. Since Xmas, I got out and walked 3-5 days a week, building up to the ability to do a several miles at a time. It ain't much as far as exercise goes and a lot of you probably would not have to even work at doing it, but it made my C4 experience sooo much better. And I think it would have made some others experience better too.

-Doc

17. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Mar 17, 2006
    Until C4, the other Celebrations were in advance of new movies coming out. If Lucasfilm plans to debut the Live Action TV show in the Fall of 2009, then the big attraction to C5 will be Rick McCallum Spectaculars showing exclusive footage of the soon to be aired TV show. So my best guess is that it will anticipate the TV show and not be celebrating a movie anniversary.

18. Doctor_Evil

Jun 23, 2002
    I have heard 2010 for the live action show, but either way they should have actors cast by then. And hopefully it will be in their contract that they attend! Assuming things don't fall behind, which is always a possibility with LFL...

-Doc

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Because 300+ posts later, it's not a "discuss what you think about possible locations" thread. It's a "here's what wrong with your opinion about the location thread." So, it's done. I'm locking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.