main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V should return to Indianapolis!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Ulfor-Bombaasa, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    But that's the thing though; somebody has to fly across the country in order to get to the SW Celebration. For people on the West Coast, Indy is really not much of a central spot since it lies closer to the Eastern seaboard. If you wanted a truely central spot, we could always have the Celebrations in Kansas but then almost EVERYONE would have to drive or fly their way there.

I think the only real solution for the location issue is to have two SW conventions; one for the West Coast and one for the East. The Europeans already have their own convention, perhaps it's time for the US to get one of each half of the country?

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd disagree... the best part, for me, was meeting people from all over. Move it around from time to time if you want to cover the whole U.S., but to split it loses part of what made it great, was that it brought star wars fans from all over together.

3. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    I was irked at the lack of after parties. It would have been nice to have a few more meet ups.

4. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    NO WAY ! What if a typical weekly tornado hits us ??
    Kansas= Tornado Alley

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I was irked at the lack of after parties. It would have been nice to have a few more meet ups.

It just depended on who you knew.

6. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    My bad. I wouldn't have any use for it since I uh live here :lol:

7. harrison13

harrison13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2004
    The problem that my party and I had was LA is such a dump. There are no resturatns to go to and nothing to do at night. Even Hollywood was a dump except for a span of 2 blocks where the thaters were. Indy is a far superoir location for fans. There are pleatny of resturants and shops to go to and it is a very clean city.

The celebration itself was fine. It was not as good as C3 because we were all waiting for ROTS to come out so we had more to look forward to.

My vote is for INDY....or my hometown Chicago

8. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I love generalizations like this.... [face_tired]

9. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    What if we have it in South Africa, for a month, during the same time as the World Cup?

I'd totally go, it would be the best month ever! Or before the World Cup starts and then we can all just stay for the World Cup.

~PK~

10. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    I did like the fact that c4 was a bit more spread out than the previous ones at Indy. It made it easier to move around.

One thing that Indy has going for it is the fact that if you need some camera batteries, snacks, asprin, or a wide choice of lunch items there are plenty of shops nearby.

11. JediZinny

JediZinny Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2007

You do realize that Hollywood in general isn't the best neighborhood. It's a tourist trap. If you want to see good L.A. you'll have to go to different places like 3rd Street in Santa Monica. Hell, go to Long Beach and you'll find a hell of a good time.

Either way, in 2009 when Celebration returns your complaints wont hold water because L.A. Live will be fully up and running. You saw all those construction crews working hard around the staple center?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Sports_and_Entertainment_District

There will be plenty of fine food establishments around there. Hell, five seconds of reading about the metro rail lines would have allowed you to get to Long Beach, Pasadena (Old Town has a lot of night life) or any other location that was "Clean looking"

I would think that you needed to do some research first into Los Angeles before calling it a dump of a city since there is a lot more to what you saw.

You want to blow your socks off. Go to Windows Restaurant on Olive. That place is amazing. Want cheap food. Head over to China town and go to Won Kok. You could feed a group of 10-15 very well for about $50-60 and be stuffed.

Trust me. There's a reason why E3 moved to the Los Angeles Convention center from Atlanta and stayed there till the show stopped. There's a reason why Wizard World has their convention there. There's a reason why it's such a huge place to have events.

12. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    The problem with LA is exactly what all of the LA people keep saying.

"Take a bus/train/cab/rent a car and go to X"

Ummm, why would I want to do that? When the con is done for the day and I have a few hours to spare I don't want to spend that time on a bus, etc travelling acrossed the city. I want to make a short walk somewhere and have something to do, or at the very least somewhere to eat. Downtown LA has none of this. Luckily for me, my hotel had a few fast food places nearby that I could actually walk to in under 5 minutes or else I would have been stuck getting convention food to go...

Convention center was great, but the city was the suck. Indy's downtown was amazing compared to LA.

As far as Indy being central, I read somewhere that something like 75% of the US population lives within a day's drive of Indy, though that can probably be said about a few other Midwest cities as well.

My message for CV... "Anywhere but LA"

13. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Celebration belongs in Indy, LA has too much crap as it is. Everything is within walking distance at Indy, and Indy is centrally located in the US. All the hotels are right there.

14. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Don't be too sure about point one. For the record the weather was warmer in Indy for the CIV dates. Having CIII in April was just a bad timing thing, because CII was in May and it wasn't snowing then. The CIII weather was a fluke, like the 50 year rains of CI.

15. Underpaid_Soldier

Underpaid_Soldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003
    The West had two Celebrations (CI in Denver, and CIV in LA), while the Midwest also had two (CII and CIII in Indy).

The Northeast and the South? Zero. It's our turn to have a Celebration, not to mention the east coast is more populated than the west coast.

16. GoldLeader74

GoldLeader74 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    Just as long as its NOT in NY!
    Boston, Wash, NC/SC, Atlanta or Orlando ...Ill be there...NY NO WAY am I going there again. I was there one time and that was enogh for me.

17. Plagious

Plagious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    Thoughts on Indy:
    I was not there however I heard nothing but horror stories about the place. Super Long Lines just to get in. Bad weather. Small convention size.
    The only good things were it was centraly located. There are many other places easy to get to. Yes LA is all the way on the west coast. Cheaper. There are many other places just as cheap. The best is the Hotel that was connected to the convention. The question I have is, wasn't it booked super fast and most people had to get a hotel elsewhere?

The only good reason to have in Indy is location. Thats it. Just because there may be some bad reasons to have it in LA doesn't make Indy the next logical choice.

Orlando is a very good option. I have been down there. The only other place I have experience at is Pittsburgh. The Convention is new and although its smaller than LA ( I think about 500k sq ft.) It is laid out in a way that you don't need to walk a mile to get to the other side. Not to mention lots of hotel space next to it plus plent of resturants. Pittsburgh isn't the most central place but it is cheap and easy to get too.

Thoughts on LAC:
    Big! To big I think. You always had to walk forever to get anywhere.
    Cheap food options were very limited.
    All the way on the west coast.
    Exspensive hotels and everything else was costly. The dollar doesn't go as far there as it does in other places.
    Overall it wasn't bad. Just bring lots of money.

18. Plagious

Plagious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    Opps I forgot to mention this. I never once had to wait in line to get into the place. I think you had to be a fool to do it. There where sooo many places to enter the building. You just had to wait until it openned at 10:00? 12:00 on Thursday. On Thursday I was in the convention 15min before the main doors were open. I just went throught the doors at the store which open 30min early and walked over. Not to mention if you wait 30min after the doors open the lines disapeared. I heard this was not the case at Indy.

19. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    How about Chicago?

20. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    LA is a dump of a city. The dense clouds of smog, unbearable traffic, and garbage lined streets all showcased this fine city for what it truly is And yes, I've been all over LA. While some areas clearly aren't as dirty, it's still like comparing a trash basket full of shredded paper to a city dump.

21. Underpaid_Soldier

Underpaid_Soldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003

Like I said before in my two other posts, why not Philly? (If they finish the expansion of the Pennsylvania Convention Center in time).

22. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Chicago... theres a freakishly clean big city. But that doesn't neccessarily make L.A. horrid. And I think a big difference would be if the development of downtown is done by the next one for more food and stuff.

23. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm starting to think some people went to a different CIV than I did.. we found lots of great places to go to after parties each night.. we went to a different place every night and did something different every night. There was never a lack of anywhere to go and hang out.. not one night.. and never a lack of anything to do.. if you had a lack of somewhere or something to do I hate to say this.. but I think it was a lack of looking and trying to find it.. not a lack of the place existing... CIV was what you made of it. CIV Rocked.. Nothing but.. it simply rocked! I can not imagine it needing to be anything more than it was.

24. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I've been to C3 & C4. I enjoyed both, mostly because I was intent on meeting people. I got booked out at Indy - never again will I book through Orbitz - but I still had a great time. I tend not to rag on somebody's town. Every city has its goods and bads.

I enjoy going to new places and meeting new people. I would love to go to another city - Philly, Atlanta, St. Louis, New Orleans, Las Vegas - it really doesn't matter. LA is closer for me - I live in Tucson. I think it would be great to have it in different places around the country, giving a chance for others to go who wouldn't be able to go otherwise.

I will be at C5 no matter where it is held.

25. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    I also probably will attend C5 no matter where it is held as well. But I still think Indy would be the far better location - especially after the planned convention hall expansion.

Regarding the Sansweet C-Australia comment - Oz likely would not be instead of a U.S. site. It would be in addition to a C5 in this country similar to this year's European Celebration. A convention in Australia likely would be a big hit, and Sydney is one of the finest cities I've ever visited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.