main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebrity Ambushing as a form of Comedy. Is it funny, or just rude?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Yodave27, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    In the past decade, this has become more and more popular. The "let's get celebrities to talk to us and we'll ambush 'em into looking like a fool" menatality. This was all started by Stuttering John of the Howard Stern show. Back in the early-90's, Howard sent John Melendez, a stutterer, to press confrences, premires, awards shows, etc. When he would ask a question, it would often be something that the celebrity didn't want to answer. A few highlights:

To Gennifer Flowers:
    "Are you planning on sleeping with any other Presidential candidates?"

To Sharon Stone:
    "Any more crotch chots in your upcoming movies?"

Unfortunatley, after awhile, most celebrities stopped John from coming near them.

Now in the year 2002, another comic has taken the reigns. Robert Smigel, a writer for Conan O'Brien and SNL, has been causing some trouble as Triumph The Inult Comic Dog. Basically, He goes with a rubber dog puppet on his hand and does the same thing as John. He makes fun of and berates celebrities.

His most infamous appearance, to date, was at the 2002 MTV VMAs. He got into trouble when he got in between a fight between Eminem and Moby. It was funny to see Eminem and his bodyguards threaten a guy with a dog puppet. Anyway this is what caused the trouble:

To Moby:
    "Is it true that you're a 3 year old **** like Eminem claims? Let's go ask him."

At which point Eminem's bodyguards threaten the guy. So MTV cuts away and moves on. Later Triumph released this little nugget of comedy gold:

Addressing Eminem:
    "..I mean my mom was a *****(female dog), too but I don't go around rapping about it."

So what's your take? Do you find this funny? Or rude to the celebrities?

I find both of these guys hilarous. They make fun of celebrities for the dumb things they've done. After all, what's comedy if we can't make fun of someone?

2. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    I'm just gonna up this since it's towards the bottom and just got re-opened after the fix-up job.

3. Darth_Tayanvo

Darth_Tayanvo Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    Well, I am not sure what to think of this. It is harassment but I think that celebrities need to lighten up a bit, so it might do them good. I think it is very funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.