main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Cell phone habits, blah, blah...

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Nov 27, 2013.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    An convincing point made there, Ender.

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure I've turned my iPhone off in the more than a year that I've owned it. I don't text and drive or use it when I'm out with other people though.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I used to keep my phone off most of the time, whenever I wasn't using it. Then an... acquaintance... insisted I stop doing that.

With this collar around my neck, I don't feel like a real Fremen anymore. More like one of those Arrakeen dogs.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are you talking about? Are you certain? I've seen phones of this kind that were charging, but one had to hit the "power" button before any of its functions or menus were accessible. Are you saying that even in this condition, the telephone is still on?

I suppose I didn't fathom the perverted imaginations that designed these things.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey, Wocky?

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, Ender?

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Tell me of the waters of your homeworld.

Zapdos

Zapdos likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Tell us of the Waters of your homeworld E S.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Perhaps there's an app for that.

10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I hate people who have a noise activated on their phone when they type on their keypad. Also hate people who road test their ringtones on the bus..for hours.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I do love that the iPhone has a default ringtone that sounds like a chirping cricket. Careful and judicious timing can roll it out when someone makes a terrible joke.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What? No. Ask Wocky.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Mine is the main Star Wars theme.

I have used the factory-installed sci-fi theme on the timer though.

14. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Mine is the opening riff of "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

When I do use a ringtone, I've got mine set to 'Sci-Fi'. It's a lovely tune.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You're all missing the point.

You have a device capable of making the chirping crickets noise. This noise is ideal for failed or bad jokes or awkward silences. If timed correctly it can be comedic gold in your goddam hands.

I don't need to hear your ring tone selections! Except yours, Lost. AI-AI-AI-AI!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    the sci-fi ringtone is really annoying. and why is it shocking that people don't turn off cellphones?

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I only ever have my phone off when I'm asleep at night, 'cause **** people who call or text me then.

Generally I'm pretty good about proper phone etiquette. I turn it on vibrate when appropriate, I NEVER look at it in the cinema, and I never text and drive.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky.

Waters. Homeworld. Go.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    At Thanksgiving dinner last night, my sister told us the story of when she got her first cell phone five years ago, no one told her it had to be on to receive calls. She just thought no one had tried to call her on it for eight months. It's not all that surprising then that her recent foray into getting a smart phone was such a failure, she got rid of it and went back to a less 'confusing' phone.

Granted I don't have a smart phone either, but I figure I spend enough time on the computer when home, I really don't need to add to that.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    The one thing I hate about mobile phones (although I take advantage of it myself) is the fact that they all come with freakin' speakers in so some tool can play his/her crappy music through it and inflict it upon THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD.

I don't get it. To play music in an office environment you have to pay for a PRS certificate but to play crappy drum and bass to everyone on the same bus or train? Own a mobile phone!

/soapbox

Why turn your mobile off at night, if someone has an emergency at night then they can't count on you for help, can they? If the police / ambulance at the site of an RTA are trying to reach you to inform you of an accident involving a loved one they might not be able to reach you?

I have an iPhone for work purposes and it's a great tool for that. It's convenient. I do not, however, waste my life on candy crush saga or whatever the latest craze is, though spaceteam and star command are ace.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Earbuds are the solution to the music problem.

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999

so it's crazy that your brother keeps his phone on 24/7 yet you yourself admit that between 90-99% of the time you have yours set to silent (i.e. "on"). your definition of craziness extends to that final 10%??? what is this?

as others have suggested, my phone is only off if it runs out of battery. why else do you need to turn it off?

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Cell phone? Never have owned one.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I never turn my phone off, but I always keep it on vibrate.