main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Censored Blasting

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darkness_Himself, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    At the end of the day, I like these edits because they help unify the blaster shots across the entire saga.

No matter why Lucas actually did it.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But they seemingly don't unify them, since there are shots like that in the other films.

3. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    That proves right there that you would like ANY change they made.
    You are a LUCAS DRONE! :p

They could replace Han Solo with Jar Jar Binks and you'd praise them for it.

4. geordiejedi1982

geordiejedi1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    plutoneam, I don't understand who that comment is directed at or how you can come to that conclusion.

By editing what amounts to maybe a second or two so that you don't see the officer get shot is entirely different to replacing han solo with jar jar binks. This tiny edit I can see people having gripes with but I think they'd agree it doesn't mean the films are unwatchable. Completely replacing a character with another one is a pretty major edit that has implications for the entire saga.

5. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    They could replace Han Solo with Jar Jar Binks and you'd praise them for it.

Sad, but true. While I have agreed with certain points Go-Mer has made, I still don't agree this edit makes sense.

At the end of the day, I like these edits because they help unify the blaster shots across the entire saga.

Uh...no they don't.
    The best example is Leia in ROTJ. When she is wounded by that stormtrooper, notice that there is fire and smoke in her wound. Just like there was with these two unfortunate imps. Same goes for one or two stormtroopers in ESB. Also, I think there are a few more examples of this to be found in ROTJ, but I cannot tell for sure.

This tiny edit I can see people having gripes with but I think they'd agree it doesn't mean the films are unwatchable.

I agree that this edit doesn't ruin the films. But I still see no actual point in it, especially since the newer movies are showing people get cut in the half, and be decapitated. Not to mention that there are scenes of people getting blasted in the same way throughout the saga.
    So I am curious, as to why was just this part cut? Without anyone providing solid reason for this being deleted, I must say - it remains a pretty pointless edit.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    You have a point, but the examples of fire that Lucas cut out were much more extreme than what was left.

Oh well, I guess if being a Lucas drone means I get to enjoy the entire saga without any "problems", then so be it.

7. Darkness_Himself

Jun 21, 2003
    the examples of fire that Lucas cut out were much more extreme than what was left.

Sorry, but I just don't see a flash of light, some smoke, and a bit of reddish fire that appear in a microsecond to be extreme at all.
    It's not like the blast goes through the poor guy, sprays his guts all over the surrounding troopers, the wall, the console and ends with him vomiting his own heart out. That's extreme. ;)
    A flash of light accompanied by smoke and fire isn't extreme at all.
    Besides, how is that any less extreme than having Jango get his head cut off? Or Maul cut in half? Or Luke losing his hand? Or a stormtrooper getting hit in the head by a blaster in ROTJ?

EDIT -- Plus, did you see the pics from EpIII, of Anakin after his lava bath? That's extreme.

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    That's why I say these edits weren't done to tone down the violence, but to unify the saga.

9. Darkness_Himself

Jun 21, 2003
    *sigh*

How do they unify the saga, if in all other moives people are blasted like they are in that cut scene?
    Care to explain that?

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    They aren't, certainly not to the degree they were in that cut bit from ANH.

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ^^^ Just can't explain that discrepency, can you?

"I think the violence in the PT has increased but has been toned down. For instance, when Luke or that Cantina dude lost their hand, they let out an almighty scream of pain. In the PT, Anakin passes out. Overall, the violence in the OT is more disturbing than the violence in the PT. It's all about the tone or quality of the violence not the quantity of violent acts."

Thank you. Let's not forget how few Gungans and or Jedi get seen getting killed onscreen, while swaths of battledroids in both films are wiped out by the hundreds. Clonetroopers are simply clones, and we don't even see their faces in the heat of battle.

"I like these edits because they help unify the blaster shots across the entire saga."

Sure, if you feel the need to focus on such minutia to enjoy the films. Tell me, again, how much this discrepency jumped out at you when you first watched TPM? [face_thinking]

"No matter why Lucas actually did it."

So "reason" is no longer necessary. Oops, maybe I should have said "a reason"? [face_blush]

"Uh...no they don't. The best example is Leia in ROTJ. When she is wounded by that stormtrooper, notice that there is fire and smoke in her wound."

OH NO! Geez, Go-mer. I hope Lucas didn't leave that one to personally offend you! :eek:

Hopefully, for your sake, he'll change that shot for the DVD's - then your continuity will be safe, and the films will make sense again. ;)

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It's more consistent with these edits than it was without them.

More Consistent = Better.

13. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    How many people knew about this change before it was pointed out? Is this a well known change that people all say when SE came out and were up in arms about, or like me did you not know about it until it was pointed out?

99.9999999999999% still have no idea.

RB

14. Razorback

Oct 2, 2001
    Oh well, I guess if being a Lucas drone means I get to enjoy the entire saga without any "problems", then so be it.

The Lucas-bashers are just upset that people actually enjoy the movies (or changes to the movies) that they pretend to dislike.

RB

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "It's more consistent with these edits than it was without them."

Actually, it's not, and neither was that Lucas' intention to begin with. There already is consistency with the blaster shots - you just haven't figured out what it is yet. Once you look at the footage and really think about what was changed, and what wasn't, then it may dawn on you. If not, let me know, and I'll fill in the details for you. :)

"99.9999999999999% still have no idea."

Yet, by your reasoning, Go-mer apparently falls in that 0.000000000001%, since he clearly sees a definite improvement. I'm curious to know which category you fall into?

16. Razorback

Oct 2, 2001
    I like the older version but I am not upset enough about it to make a thread about it. I also like Han shooting first and hate the Jabba addition in the SE (for ANH) but again... not upset enough to worry about it. I think that is how 99% of fans feel too.

The only people who care are those who make a stink about it on the Internet.

RB

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "I am not upset enough about it to make a thread about it...but again... not upset enough to worry about it."

But you are upset enough to post in a thread about it. I see....

18. Razorback

Oct 2, 2001
    But you are upset enough to post in a thread about it. I see....

Actually, I am not upset about it at all. I simply responded. I like one way over the other but the fact that it has been changed is not a big deal to me.

RB

19. Darkness_Himself

Jun 21, 2003
    The Lucas-bashers are just upset that people actually enjoy the movies (or changes to the movies) that they pretend to dislike.

[face_laugh]

Wait, if I don't just keep my mouth shut, enjoy every thing Lucas does, glorify it to Outer Rim and back, bow down to it all - then I am a Lucas-basher? So, what you're basically saying is, if I have an opinion of my own, that contradicts Lucas' opinion about something, and I express that opinion, I hate Lucas? What, I'm not a "true Star Wars" fan then? Only the people who accept anything that Lucas throws at us, accept it without question or even bothering to form their own opinion about it, accepting it like mindless drones - only those people are enjoying the movies and are true fans?

Puh-leeze.

I don't hate Lucas. To "disagree" is not to "hate". I still enjoy the movies without seeing a second of fire out of an Imperial's stomach. And I can live with Greedo shooting first. And I can live with many more mistakes.
    I am just curious as to why was this particular, seemingly pointless, edit made?

20. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Without fans SW, LOTR and such things would be nothing.

Chicken and the egg argument. Without SW and LOTRS, the fans would be nothing. :p

I don't see the fans getting up at 4 in the morning and working 15 hour days for over 3 years at a time just to contribute to the other party's so called "geek addiction". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.