main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Forum Poll Posting

Discussion in 'Communications' started by eclipseSD, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Would it be possible to allow user created polls in the Census Forum?

There are a few options:

a)User is allowed to create one poll every month

b)A daily trivia contest is held each day. The winner can post 1 census poll.

c)A special Census Mod has the soul purpose of creating user suggested polls.

d)Everyone is allowed to post as many polls as they whenever they want

e) The system stays the same (PM a mod with an idea for a poll or just post the idea in the thread in Census for suggestions)

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    All you have to do now is PM a mod with an idea for a poll or just post the idea in the thread in Census for suggestions. In all honesty, I fail to see the need for the Census forum to begin with.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "a)User is allowed to create one poll every month"

I'm not sure if it can be set up this way. If not, then it'd be hard to moderate, and socks would get involved, and it'd get messy.

"b)A daily trivia contest is held each day. The winner can post 1 census poll."

Again, I don't think this is feasible, as I don't think there is an option to only let certain people create polls. The only options are to limit the polls to certain user levels. To do this, you'd have to promote the person to VIP, let them post the poll, and demote them, which would become a hassle after a while.

"c)A special Census Mod has the soul purpose of creating user suggested polls."

This is being discussed and looked into.

"d)Everyone is allowed to post as many polls as they whenever they want"

Two words: Mass chaos.

4. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    Im just wondering as well what the whole purpose of having a forum for polls.

Can't people think for themselves nowadays?

5. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    People thinking on their own? Nah. ;)

The Census forum is really just for fun. To see what people in the JC think about things. I especially like the age poll. It forms a perfect bell-curve.

~ DS5

6. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    As for most of your answers, I agree with what comes from the people before me.

d)Everyone is allowed to post as many polls as they whenever they want

YodaJeff hit it right on the nail.

If you look in the Episode III: Spoilers Forum, or sometimes Attack of the Clones, or anything else like that, all you can see is Trolls posting, and posting, and posting. The Moderators of those forums keep good control of it, because they have reason to lock those threads. Redundant, ect.

In Census, everyone would be aloud to post a Poll, even if it was ridiculous. If Moderators locked the thread because it was "Spam", there would just be threads posted as polls to complain about it, and even more chaos from there.

The best way to go about it is, how their doing it already. The Moderators post them. If you have an idea on what you think would make a good and sensible poll, then send a message to one of the Moderators suggesting it, or multiple ones if you really want to see it posted.

7. Paranorina

Paranorina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Two words: Mass chaos.

So whats wrong with that? [face_devil]

8. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    It would be ghastly.

I do not see that the situation is so terrible as it currently stands, to PM a Mod first and ask for a poll to be started. Not exactly a huge effort to go to.

Besides, to my mind it's very rare that any polls are so massively earth-shatteringly profound or controversial that - were they not there - the lives of JC users as a whole would be affected one iota if mods hadn't approved them.

I don't think it's such a big deal.

MAYBE posting one poll per month per user would be ok, but some people would just create socks in order to start multiple polls, so I reckon it's fine how it is.

Edit: Oh, wait a minute, YodaJeff spotted that point. Oops!

A Poll Mod with the remit to implement users' polls IS a good idea, I think. In fact it'd be a good idea to have at least two, since no one can be online 24/7. I hope the 'looking into it' comes up in favour of it and it happens.

I think it would definitely need two people though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.