main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Census & Games 2010 Pokemon Draft (your champion: MandaloreYak!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    I'm going deeper in my cave...
    [image=http://img.listal.com/image/765260/600full-fight-club-screenshot.jpg]

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That's quite enough of that. Stick to discussing the matches and arguments, please.
    There are five left, let's try and get through them without having to go down this road again.

Championship Match

The Holiday Miracles (0)
    vs.
    Saffron City Psychos (1)

Six.
    [image=http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/cc/HGSS_Indigo_Plateau.png]
    [b]Location:[/b] Indigo Plateau

[color=red][hl=white][b]Blue and Tyranitar (prepared with TM40 Aerial Ace)[/b][/hl][/color]
    [b]vs.[/b]
    [color=royalblue][hl=darkred]Sabrina and Gengar (prepared with TM52 Focus Blast, TM24 Thunderbolt, and TM36 Sludge Bomb)[/hl][/color]

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Oh, no, I have to. It's... Focus blast... The power, it's calling me... I can't resist, I must do it...
    [image=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GxtERjRL78A/SR2N7lbM3pI/AAAAAAAABEs/Wg0VEQ4Ok8A/s400/ali_knockout.jpg]
    ONE HIT KO

4. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    With Focus Blast and Destiny Bond, I really see no chance of Gengar losing. Here's how it plays out. Great match, going back and forth, you make up some scenario. Then Gengar is low on health, around 1/4th health left, with his speed, he pops on a Destiny Bond, and Tyranittar stops immediately, mid attack, knowing if he hits gengar, this next blow would KO Gengar, and thus he would lose because of DB.

But, he knows that sandstorm can kill him, and it won't allow DB to kick in. Well... Gengar walks right up to him... gets in his face... gets closer, closer, closer, BOOM Focus Blast, he doesn't see it coming. Tyranitar has no way of knowing Gengar was prepped with that move, and Tyranitar gets KOed.

And Sabrina could think to use Destiny Bond as a way to get in and sucker punch tyranitar... I see that happening.

Gengar

5. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Is this an attempt to be less by-the-numbers?

6. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Well, at a certain point, Tyranitar has to pull up, and stop attacking with DB in play. That allows Gengar to get one attack off. Once Gengar attacks again, DB is gone, and Tyranitar is open to wipe him out. But with Focus Blast avaliable, I see Tyranitar and Blue feeling Gengar doesn't have any attack that can do that much damage, and will let Gengar get close, so they can quickly counter with crunch or some dark attack once DB wears off, or the sandstorm crushes him. This false sense of security, along with Tyranitar's ego, will allow Gengar the chance to BOOM him...

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Such complexity. Such story. You do realize focus blast is a ranged attack right?

8. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Right, but up close and personal, it will have a higher chance of hitting...

9. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Oh, right. I meant to do this.

There are five left, let's try and get through them without having to go down this road again.

10. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Fine, I'm not trying to win anymore. Can't hold back this flood, too much manlove going. But I will correct facts, so try your math again Yak, no way you slice it is it a OHKO, OSKO or any other lame acronym. Everyone always forgets the Sandstorm.

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Oh. Yeah, I did forget that. I guess I thought tyranitar might not want to activate it.

12. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I was just going by your rules Yak, it's always active like Truant and Trace. Everywhere he goes there is a constant sandstorm everyone knows that! It's even in the text like you showed me.

13. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I never mentioned OSKO because I remembered sandstorm, hence the scenario I'm envisioning... I just don't think Blue is good enough to widdle down his HP, and then stop, and let sandstorm kill him off, before tyranitar bites the dust. Maybe a few times, but he has to beat gengar within an inch of his life, and then not die before Gengar is killed, without knowing Gengar has a trump card of Focus Blast, the attack that made Gardevoir beat Slaking and Cradily, and it's 4x effective here. Up close and personal, I don't see Tyranitar dodging it, especially when he won't know it's coming. All Gengar has to do is widdle down half his life, and Focus Blast would do way more than it's fair share. Gengar also has confuse ray too. Gengar is just more versatile.

14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    EDIT: You know what no, never mind I am not trying to get back into this.

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    And apparently I was going by yours lol.

16. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah so this was...fun. Good work today everyone, made a lot of progress.

17. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Another vote would be nice

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'll see what I can do. Will aim to have something up tomorrow, if Trimaj doesn't beat me to it.

19. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    been thinking about it, and at present i'm leaning towards t-tar. will try to do a breakdown of why, but the sandstorm plays a big part since destiny bond won't be... ending this one to me.

focus blast is problematic though. but again, leaning t-tar ATM. real judgement later.

20. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I have a real problem seeing Ttar being able to pull the breaks, and let Sandstorm end it, before he is killed by a sucker punch (i.e. Focus Blast). I could even see Gengar winning this straight up with hypnosis and confuse ray and dream eater... but the DB/Focus punch seals it for me.

Or, Sabrina could go the confuse ray/focus blast route. With Ttar basically only attack every other turn, and every other turn damaging himself, and focus blast...

The problem with Ttar isn't his stats, or ability, it's his lack of speed, and ability to stop status effecting moves.

EDIT: removed hypnosis stuff, good point yak

He could also curse from the beginning, take the one attack, and since he is faster, go straight into DB. It would take more turns for the sandstorm to kill Gengar than the curse to kill ttar, and if it gets close, he could always pop off a focus blast at the last second. Really bad draw for Ttar, he wins some, just not 50%.

21. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    He couldn't use hypnosis on a dark I don't think. But confuse ray is very useful.

22. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Or Gengar could hope and pray that Tyranitar would like to have tea and crumpets with him then poison his? That could work too, less complicated on everyone's part and easier to judge too.

23. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    ok, i just haven't had any time today for this. i was literally out all day and JUST got back in my room to start some laundry... at 130 in the morning. so... yea. i will get to this ASAP. but ASAP will be sometime tomorrow night at the earliest. GO SIX HOURS OF STRAIGHT CLASSES WITHOUT A BREAK!!!111!!11111!!!!11 WOOOOOOOO! [face_frustrated]

24. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Your whole team doing that would make it much easier.

25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Oh man... If you're gonna vote tyranitar, just do it. I'm not in much of a complaining mood.

26. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    leaning means i haven't been able to really, ya know, look at this yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.