Census & Games ... how YOU doin'? A review, leadership, future, feedback, state-of-the-forum thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    G'day. Did you know that something almost, almost freaked me out the other day? I knew it was coming, but here it was: I've been here for a year, moderating this, this forum.

Oh well. Let's go for a couple more years.

Or weeks. I don't know how long my heart will be feastin' on this place. I can certainly tell you that it is right now. That's why I almost freaked out. Because I knew, I know, that this year has been a blast for me to be involved in the forum I love and to simply chat and play games. Couldn't have offered my heart to a better place of people, if I might say so.

To this end, myself and Nat (NYCitygurl) wanted to create a thread for the forum that was about the forum, everything in it, and us. How *is* C&G doin'? :cool:

We want to know everybody's thoughts on anything and everything to do with the forum and its people. Your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, reviews, encouragement, criticism, good news, bad news and most of all your opinion is what we would love to hear. Loooooove to hear.

Please feel free to post anything you would like to share in this thread. If you would prefer to use Private Messages to send us personal feedback, then by all means go ahead. It is perfectly okay if you would not like to comment on certain things in public view. We welcome PMs anytime.

To help the brain fluids flow, the following is a list of questions concerning Census & Games that is designed to stimulate discussion or, if you'd prefer, simple answers. Feel free to extrapolate on anything or add in your own questions/answers/thoughts that I may not think to add. Or, by the same token, feel free to only answer a few or comment on things in a general sense.

Census and Games

Polls ...

What do you think of them?
    Are new polls created on time? Too fast, too slow?
    Are there not enough polls? Are there too many polls?
    Are too many poll ideas being rejected? Would you like to see more ideas in the suggestions thread go through?
    Are we [mods] ever too restrictive on poll criteria?
    Are polls looked after well?
    What is currently done that you dislike?
    Thoughts...

Tournaments ...

Do you like the tournaments?
    Do you like the way they are run? (Time factors, layout, etc)
    Thoughts...

Games ...

Do we have enough games? Do we have too many?
    Would you like to see more or less in the amount of games?
    Do we have a good variety of games?
    Are the games in this forum fun?
    What could be improved in certain games or for the forums games as a whole?
    Thoughts...

Moderators ...

Are the moderators a good influence on the forum?
    Is there enough leadership shown by the mods?
    What could be done to improve the moderation of this forum?
    Thoughts...

Poll Suggestions Thread - Tournament Suggestion Thread - Game Suggestions Thread

That's it. You, the users of this forum, are what make this place run. You are also what makes it so special. Thank you so much for your contribution and activity. Thank you. Anything you have to say I and Nat would love to hear ? as would a good deal of other forum regulars, I'm 100% sure.

This is simply to give feedback on a favourite pastime each of us share. Let's make this place even better.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-?Tyi
  2. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I had almost typed up a review for each, but then my power blinked, so I'm going to do a summary instead:

Everything is great. When are you going to restart Balderdash?

:)
  3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Hehe. My apologies. Check in thread. Sorry to hear about your power ruining your post. :(
  4. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    But it's a good summary. ;)

I really like the idea of this thread about feedback, suggestion, thought, ect. It's a very good idea!!

Before I start going through your questions, I like to speak a bit about Census (&Games):

This board changed a lot during the last year. First Games got included, then all your work (this includes Nat's work as well of course) changed the atmosphere of Census to the better in my view. You worked hard on various things and you always give your best to be reliable, especially on the times of games. If you can't post in time, you always let us know. And this is excellent, because it gives us a feeling and shows that you care about the board, the games and especially us - the users.

When Games got added to Census, I got a bit confused, because I don't know why this happened. Sometimes I feel that Games would be worth it's own board. But on the other hand I like them being here in Census as well, because of the activity and the lurking. It's fun sometimes.

Now to some of your topics...

Polls

I really enjoy them, although I don't vote in all of them. They are nice and we have a good variety of them. Plus almost everyone can come up with an interesting question and you allow most of them. That's good in my opinion.

The only critic I have about polls is, that it would be nice, if you answer all poll-ideas, even if you don't want them to be posted. One time I posted a poll-idea in the thread, but even after some days, in which you have posted in that thread, I haven't got any feedback. I don't mind, if an idea doesn't get posted, that's normal, but a little feedback would be nice. :)

Games

In my view you're handling the game part of C&G very well. There are new games every now and then (this keeps everything fresh) and the 'ever changing game' thread is just great!!

But I have a small suggestion, it's not even real critic. ;)
    The player at the 'ever changing game' can get VIPship for 24 hours. This is fully ok for the shortness of the games. But for some of us it's hard to enjoy this time because of RL (job, other important stuff). So I got an idea: Would it be possible to collect these VIPship times up to three days (three*24hours), so that one can enjoy VIPshipness for up to three days? What do you think?

These are my thoughts and ideas of Census & Games. So if I do a summary as well, I have to repeat princess_leia: It's great in all parts! :D
  5. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Census and Games

Polls ...

What do you think of them? Most of them are pretty good.
    Are new polls created on time? Sometimes. Too fast, too slow? I would say sometimes too slow
    Are there not enough polls? Maybe Are there too many polls? Maybe
    Are too many poll ideas being rejected? I don't know. Would you like to see more ideas in the suggestions thread go through? Probably, it all depends on if there is already a lot of polls and games going on or not.
    Are we [mods] ever too restrictive on poll criteria? I don't know.
    Are polls looked after well? Probably not after the first week they are put up.
    What is currently done that you dislike? It seems most polls expire after 30 days, some should be allowed to go beyond that, some maybe shorter.
    Thoughts...
    I think it would help to separate the Census and Games into separate topic headings like so:

Main Topic heading would still be Census and Games with the following underneath:
    Census and Polls
    Games and Tournaments

I think that the above would help for those who only like the census and polls part vs. the Games part.
    Tournaments ...

What do you think of them? Most seem to be pretty good
    Do you like the tournaments? Most of them
    Do you like the way they are run? Most are okay with the time factors and such. (Time factors, layout, etc)
    What is currently done that you dislike? Length of some tournaments is sometimes pretty long.
    Thoughts...

Games ...

What do you think of them? Most of them are very fun.
    Do we have enough games? No, probably not. Do we have too many? Probably too less, but if you had too many, then some might not be played enough.
    Would you like to see more or less in the amount of games? Probably more, maybe like one a week if they could be done in that short amount of time, otherwise, maybe two to three a month at the most.
    Do we have a good variety of games? I think so.
    Are the games in this forum fun? Definitely.
    What could be improved in certain games or for the forums games as a whole? Like I suggested above, split off the games section into its' own topic heading. I feel that the polls tend to get in the way a little bit.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Maybe too few games or seeing if one might work vs. disregarding it due to possibility of it not working in the forum.
    Thoughts...

Moderators ...

What do you think of them? I think that they run the forum well.
    Are the moderators a good influence on the forum? Yes.
    Is there enough leadership shown by the mods? Yes.
    What could be done to improve the moderation of this forum? Just keep involved.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Nothing.
    Thoughts...

6. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    What is currently done that you dislike? It seems most polls expire after 30 days, some should be allowed to go beyond that, some maybe shorter.

We try to do unlimited amount of time. Do you have any links to polls that have expired? If you do, we can try to correct it :)
  7. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I originally looked at all the polls and they all have 29 days left to vote, so I'm guessing that really it is more days than that.
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yeah, that's what they all say, but it's actually unlimited time :)
  9. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I don't really participate in the polls, but I love the little games that get played on here. Mastermind, Snap, Dice, Battle Royal, etc. Love them!
  10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Sabine; thank you very much! I have directed the idea in regards to C&G Gaming into the gaming thread to get other people's thoughts on it. Also, your comment about the poll suggestions and always informing people of the outcome of their ideas is a good one. Thanks! You already knew all of this because of the PMs, but I'm just repeating it here for the benefit of all! :D :D

RX; thank you very much for the feedback. Nice of you to go through all of my tender questions, although I wasn't expecting it. Cheers! I've read it through multiple times and will keep it in mind. I won't respond to everything here because of length, but a couple of things immediately catch my attention; I'll just go through them now if you don't mind.

Are polls looked after well? "Probably not after the first week they are put up."

The 'probably' throws me off here. Is there anything more to this? If something isn't addressed, I'd love to know what; one way I can improve my faults.

What is currently done that you dislike? "Maybe too few games or seeing if one might work vs. disregarding it due to possibility of it not working in the forum."

My apologies if this was me. If there is any game that you think deserves a chance, please, persist in it. I will try not to brush aside things so quickly, but if I do, just point it out to me or whoever it is. We don't mind at all.

I think it would help to separate the Census and Games into separate topic headings like so:

That is a major shift for the forum, and I understand the initial thought behind it. I haven't applied it a great deal of thought ... the main question is, of course, is it needed? Other people's thoughts on this would be a good start, too.

Are the games in this forum fun? "Definitely."

You don't know how much that was, like, "yay!" for me. :D :D

Sey; Hearing things like that make it so much easier and more enjoyable for me. Thank you so much. :D :D
  11. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    You're welcome and thanks to you as well, Zane! :)

It's a good idea to post the idea about "collecting victory" in the gaming thread. I'm very interested what the other players will say. :)

Just a quick thought about Games in Census (since I have to leave for a athletic test very soon): As I posted above, I got a bit confused about games added to Census. Although I got used to it, I have an ambivalent feeling. On the one side Games doesn't fit to Census completely, so I would agree to its own board, but on the other hand I enjoy Games being here, because it gives Census a special life. Maybe it's an idea to ask the (regular) players of all the games what they think about their own board. :)
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That was my thought when the games moved as well. If I recall correctly, droideka did it to bring more life into Census, and Boogie continued it. I think a bunch of major games were asked to move from the JCC as a trial run, and most liked it and stayed. The benefit here vs. the JCC was that they didn't get knocked off the page in a few minutes. In fact, the current games are almost always on page 1 at 25pp.

However, it might be worth asking.
  13. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Games ...

What do you think of them? Love 'em.
    Do we have enough games? Do we have too many? No way there are too many, perhaps not enough.
    Would you like to see more or less in the amount of games? More.
    Do we have a good variety of games? The variety is quite nice.
    Are the games in this forum fun? Most fun I've had in a long time.
    What could be improved in certain games or for the forums games as a whole? Nothing that I can think of.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Nothing at all.

Moderators ...

What do you think of them? Nice people.
    Are the moderators a good influence on the forum? Seems that way to me.
    Is there enough leadership shown by the mods? Yep.
    What could be done to improve the moderation of this forum? Nothing that I can come up with.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Nothing at all.

Tournaments ...

What do you think of them? Very good, and much fun.
    Do you like the tournaments? Very much so.
    Do you like the way they are run? (Time factors, layout, etc) Very much so.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Once again, nothing at all.
  14. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Polls
    What do you think of them? I like them but I feel we could use more polls that aren't movie oriented
    Are new polls created on time? Too fast, too slow? I'd say they come on time.
    Are there not enough polls? Are there too many polls? I'd say we could use more polls and revisions of older polls.
    Are too many poll ideas being rejected? Would you like to see more ideas in the suggestions thread go through? Well I think that every poll idea should have some feedback. I see sometimes that poll ideas aren't even discussed.
    Are we [mods] ever too restrictive on poll criteria? No I don't think so.
    Are polls looked after well? Some of the older ones need some TLC
    What is currently done that you dislike? I'd like to see more polls about other topics other than Entertainment. And I kind of wish we would think about a movie before we judge if it was a success enough to do the How do you rate this movie polls

Tournaments ...

What do you think of them? This is the greatest need
    Do you like the tournaments? I like them a lot, I just think that they need more attention.
    Do you like the way they are run? It seems that the landmark one was ignored.
    What is currently done that you dislike? I'd like more updates

Games ...

What do you think of them? I like the games.
    Do we have enough games? Do we have too many? I think we could use more games other than the classic drafts.

Do we have a good variety of games? I think there are too many variations on the same topic.
    Are the games in this forum fun? Yes but there is room for improvement
    What could be improved in certain games or for the forums games as a whole? I'd like to have more players in certain games than have the same people play the same games all the time.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Nothing really

Moderators ...

What do you think of them? I think you are both doing a terrific job
    Are the moderators a good influence on the forum? Yes they keep this forum alive and give it traffic.
    Is there enough leadership shown by the mods? Yes I think they do
    What could be done to improve the moderation of this forum? I'd say they should consider every poll topic and give more input to the people who come up with ideas for polls. Maybe tell the people why their poll wouldn't work.
    What is currently done that you dislike? Nothing
  15. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't know if this is still...useful. But I saw it and thought that I'd put my input in. I am always up for bettering a community and if I can do that with my advice and what not, then I will. So, as a newcomer to C&G (kind of), this is what I have to say:

Polls ...
    What do you think of them? - I love the polls. That's why I come here. A great, fun idea for a forum. :)
    Are new polls created on time? Too fast, too slow? - I've noticed that there aren't that many new polls. They seem to get posted every now and then, but I would like to see new ones more often. I realize that it could flood the forum and some could get overlooked, but I think that a new category added to the Index could help that. What about adding "New Polls" to the Index and when new polls are added, place them there. Once new ones are added, update the list. Could be pretty simple if you ask me.
    Are there not enough polls? Are there too many polls? - IMO, there can never be enough polls.
    Are too many poll ideas being rejected? Would you like to see more ideas in the suggestions thread go through? - I haven't really seen many get rejected, but I am not looking for that either. When I suggested a poll, the mods did a good job of working with me to get it up.
    Are we [mods] ever too restrictive on poll criteria? - Not that I've seen.
    Are polls looked after well? - I think so. There are quite a few polls to look after, so it may be hard to keep them all updated and what not. That's where the regular users come in I think.
    What is currently done that you dislike? - Not sure if this is something that you as mods can fix, but perhaps you could request it to the tech admins/zerosleep: have unlimited vote times.

Tournaments ...

What do you think of them? - To be perfectly honest, I am a bit intimidated by them. There are so many of them, and they seem to fill up really fast. Perhaps it's just me, but I do not usually participate in them because I am intimidated: I think my chances are slim in them.
    Do you like the tournaments? - Yes. They are crucial to this forum now, IMO. I think that draws a lot of people here.
    Do you like the way they are run? (Time factors, layout, etc) - No comment...I don't really know.

Games ...

What do you think of them? - I have yet to participate in them, but I've seen a few, and they look really fun.
    Do we have enough games? Do we have too many? - I think the number of games you can play is limited by the nature of the message board. I think what we have is nearly perfect. But, like the tournaments, they seem to fill up fast. So, perhaps more is in order...?
    Would you like to see more or less in the amount of games? - Again...they fill up fast it seems, so more.
    Do we have a good variety of games? - Yes there is.
    Are the games in this forum fun? - From what I've seen, some of them look really fun. I can't say that about all of them though. Partially because I haven't seen all of them, and partially because I am not interested in some.

Moderators ...

What do you think of them? - They seem to do a really good job. Like I mentioned earlier, they could create polls a little more often, but that is not really that big of a deal, and could be my opinion only. This place seems to be growing, from what I can tell, and they do a good job keeping up. I would think that, over the summer especially, one more just might be needed.
    Are the moderators a good influence on the forum? - From what I've seen so far, yes. Not only do they create games and polls, but they actually participate in some of those games, which I think is great. It shows that they are just users too.
    Is there enough leadership shown by the mods? - Again, from what I can see, yes.
    What could be done to improve the moderation of this forum? - Hmm..not much, I don't think. Like I said earlier, they do a good job keeping up with the se
  16. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    No, this is great!! This thread is always open :)

A couple things I can help you with, though . . .

Tournaments ...

What do you think of them? - To be perfectly honest, I am a bit intimidated by them. There are so many of them, and they seem to fill up really fast. Perhaps it's just me, but I do not usually participate in them because I am intimidated: I think my chances are slim in them.

I think you're confusing tournaments with drafts. The tournaments don't have signups; you just vote. We only have one at a time. The current one (which is wrapping up) is the Tabletop Games tournament.

What is currently done that you dislike? - Not sure if this is something that you as mods can fix, but perhaps you could request it to the tech admins/zerosleep: have unlimited vote times.

That's a function of whoever creates the poll, and Tyi and I always have unlimited voting time in ours. The threads lock automatically after 6 months, but we can always unlock on request :)
  17. darth-nemisis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ah, okay...my mistake on both of those. I was indeed mistaking tournaments with drafts. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.