main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Centralist vs Populist vs 1st Order

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by akaydia, Apr 24, 2016.

?

What would you be in the Star Wars Universe?

1. Centralist

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Populist

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. 1st Order

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. New Republic supporter but neither centralist nor populist

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Neutral--> not involved in politics

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Centrist. Though I'd insist on a strong bill of rights. :)

Dra--- likes this.
  2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i like some of the populist ideals, but you have to have a higher order and power over it all .

3. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    If I had not been on Hosian Prime, a splinter party with an obscure agenda that voted with whichever way the wind blew that would benefit our constituency. Probably more with the Populists on a Worlds' Rights basis, more with the Centrists on a equal application of the law based on JabbatheHumanBeing 's Bill of Rights.

4. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I would be a populist. IMO each planet should have its own government and be free to form coalitions with other planets/systems as they see fit. Centralizing power is far too dangerous.

5. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    First Order...... They have Tie Fighters....

Glor likes this.
  6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm wondering what the New Republic Intelligence Services were doing not keeping tabs on the First Order instead of leaving it to a small private group headed by former Senator Organa.

Lets be honest here just knowing whose in charge of the Resistance should have people saying, "I have a bad feeling about this!" and immediately mobilising a force to make sure they're not the problem the last Princess of Alderaan believes they are since they built a memorial to her father when they founded the New Republic and when she's
    revealed as the brother of Luke Skywalker and daughter of Darth Vader did those idiots not think it might be a good idea to not put all your eggs in the Hosnian System Basket?!!

Sorry still reading Bloodlines just can't help the facepalming!:oops:

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Local governments can be just as oppressive, in many cases. Depends on what kind of central government you have, not on centralization in the abstract. Same with local governments. In a slave-owning planet, local government is essentially negative, and a central authority that abolishes slavery would be beneficial. Whereas a local planet that's a democratic republic with a great human rights record may be better off as an independent system (as long as it could defend itself). But, of course, if the central authority in question is tyrannical, as was the Empire, that's bad for most people.

That's the one slightly annoying simplification inherent in the Centrist vs. Populist divide. Those labels mean very little without a guiding ideology that's much more specific about the kind of centralization, or the kind of populism, being espoused.

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Really it would be based on the issue at hand. I think most things I would follow the Populists stance but There are many cases that the centrists would be correct.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd hope to be a John Adams-level Centrist; I'd want the central government to excercise power beneficially at a level above that of average states, but I'd be giving the stink eye to the Alexander Hamilton-style burecreats, let alone the clearly totalitarian style guys you'd see further behind him.

10. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    First Order has the right idea. Rebel Alliance were terrorists and their New Republic is run by the Space Mafia. #HumanPower

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I know this is probably just a harmless game, but I hope noone's actually sympathetic to the First Order...

vncredleader likes this.
  12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    They do have, unequivocally, better outfits.

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Can't argue with that. The Resistance outfits look like Boy Scout uniforms next to theirs.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I liked that Casterfo in Bloodline explicitly
    lamented the rough and unpolished nature of Republic military uniforms

15. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    To be honest, I thought the whole thing was a bit ridiculous but since you asked, the ideal government for the Republic is a combination of both. Here's a list of some things that may go into a galactic constitution. It would work in conjunction with a secondary document that I call the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights, which covers things like freedom of speech, equality etc.

Outline Of Draft Proposal For The Adoption Of A Republic Constitution

1. Every planet is sovereign. All internal matters are handled by the planetary, national and local governments of each world (depending on how each planet is set up), except where it contravenes the laws of the Republic, as decided upon by the Senate.
    2. Every planet must adhere to the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights.
    3. All senators must be elected by the populations of the planets they represent.
    4. All planets must be democracies. Constitutional monarchies are allowed.
    5. Sovereign space extends to the edge of a planet's solar system, except in the case where there is more than one inhabited world, moon or colony, in which case, sovereignty of the solar system and access to resources is shared.
    6. Uninhabited systems cannot be claimed by any world or corporation without licence from the Galactic Senate.
    7. Financial lobbying of senators and candidates is forbidden. A cap shall be imposed for all campaign financing.
    8. Corporations may not apply for the same legal protections as planets and may not be represented as such in the Galactic Senate.
    9. In principle, all citizens may travel to any world they choose. Planets are entitled to perform customs checks but must act in accordance with the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights.
    10. Interplanetary trade falls under the jurisdiction of the Republic and may be taxed. Internal planetary trade is subject to the taxation laws of sovereign systems.
    11. All member planets shall be taxed annually. The amount of taxable revenue shall be calculated based on the revenues of each individual planet. The means by which tax is raised is a decision for sovereign planets but must adhere to the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights.
    12. Individual planets may determine their own corporation tax, however, corporations that exceed a predetermined annual revenue will also be subject to taxation by the Republic.
    13. As per the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights, all member planets must provide publicly funded medical care for civilians. This care may be subsidised by the Republic, in consideration of available resources for the individual planets.
    14. Member planets may set their own laws and regulations, so long as they do not contravene Republic Law or the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights.
    15. All member planets may utilise their own planetary defence force. All planets must contribute meaningful resources (ships, personnel etc) to the Republic Security Forces, to maintain security in the Republic. In a time of war (as declared by the Galactic Senate), planetary defence forces may be required to serve as part of the Republic Security Forces.
    16. War may only be declared by a two-thirds majority in the Galactic Senate.
    17. Military action must be approved by a Senate committee. This committee shall be chosen by the Senate and not the Supreme Chancellor.
    18. The Order Of The Jedi shall remain separate from government. Jedi intervention on matters may be requested by the Senate, however, the Jedi may choose whether to act.
    19. All Jedi action must be consistent with Republic law and the Galactic Charter Of Sentient Rights.
    20. The development and use of weapons of mass destruction is banned.
    21. There shall be a cap on the allowed level of private security for individuals and corporations.
    22. The Republic Constitution may be changed by a two-thirds majority in the Galactic Senate.
    23. The Republic Constitution may also be changed by the citizens of the Republic via referendum. The referendum result must be equal to or greater than two thirds of votes cast.
    24. A constitutional referendum may be triggered by citizens of the Republic, should a petition of at least one trillion verified signatures be presented to the Senate.
    25. Citizens of the Republic may propose legislation and trigger a referendum on said legislation if the proposal receives one trillion verified signatures.
    26. All other legislation may be passed with a simple majority. In the event of a tie, the Supreme Chancellor will cast the deciding vote.
    27. Any citizen of the Republic who is of legal age may be nominated to the office of Supreme Chancellor by the Senate. A winning nominee will be decided by secret ballot in the Senate.
    28. Should the Senate be deadlocked or should a proposal meet two-thirds approval in the Senate, the election of the Supreme Chancellor will be decided by general referendum.
    29. Once elected, the Supreme Chancellor may serve a maximum of two five-year terms in office.
    30. The Supreme Chancellor may not hold any other elected office either during or after their term in office.
    31. Once elected, a Senator of the Republic may serve a maximum of five five-year terms. Once their final term has finished, the Senator remains eligible to be nominated to the office of Supreme Chancellor but may hold no other office.
    32. The Supreme Chancellor may not violate the terms of office. Any attempt to change those terms will require a Republic-wide referendum and require at least 99% of verified votes cast to be in favour.
    33. The Republic shall not become an Empire. The democratic process shall not be abandoned. This provision cannot be changed either by the senate or referendum.

The last two are obviously a way of preventing another Empire or even a quasi-democratic dictatorship.

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    ^ I want to be able to vote for this guy in real life

17. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I read the Centrists as being unionists and the populists as being Federalists .. but at the end of the day, I know I would rather be of no fixed affiliation and probably an anarchist :)

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Hidalgo tweeted, "The disposition of the New Republic, its political factions and the napkin incident were pieces that came from Rian."

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think that the Populists are not saying no government oversight they just want planets to be able to stand on their own UNLESS a world does something like allowing slavery. Populists dont want worlds to do whatever they want. We still think the Republic should be a thing and there needs to be a bill of rights and constitution to make sure things dont get out of hand. Thats pretty different then just allowing worlds to do whatever. For instance I believe in localized government in the real world but I dont think that states should be allowed to do whatever I dont think anyone thinks that. Our point is that their would be laws each planet has to agree to that are preset so that when someone else takes over such as the First Senator or giving emergency powers to the chancellor like before they cant do ****. Giving planets rights does not mean they get to be anarchistic just that the government cant force them to do anything thats not on the constitution. And if that world find a loop hole then they will amend the constitution. But the fact that someone could find a loop hole or that they could try to have slaves does not justify giving all the power to an elite group of bureaucrats. Thats far more dangerous then the off chance that a world would support slavery cause like I said at least in that case they would be kicked our and/or put in line. We dont think that these planets shouldnt have rules its just that we feel that no single group should have control of these worlds.

Yeah we better get new uniforms in Ep 8.

Excuse Me and darklordoftech like this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Adams passed the Sedition Act. I prefer Hamilton.

21. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    She's the brother of Luke Skywalker?

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  22. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    First Order. They got Star Destroyers.

23. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Sigh... really messed that one up didn't I!!

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm pretty sure everyone knew she and Luke were siblings. Tai Lin (one of Leia's friends) asks her why she didn't train in the Force the way Luke did.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Nah. It's the Skywalkers who are messed up.