main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Certain Manga and their readers

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthNiaedra, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthNiaedra

DarthNiaedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    Hey I'm actually a big manga guy. I had never really heard of manga till about a couple months ago and now i'm just hooked. I still love comic books (especially Ultimate Spiderman) but hey i found something i liked in Manga. Just wanted to know and talk to my fellow manga readers i guess. I've been reading Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho because i liked the shows when they came out and personally i think the stories are just phenomenal. What manga do you read? What do you suggest? Do you like Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho? I'm wanting to read Shaman King, Rurouni Kenshin, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, and One Piece. I watched a couple episodes of Inuyasha on cartoon network but i think i came in at a bad time. Should i even consider it? Thanks guys

2. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    The Akira graphic novels are excellent (and explained a lot more than the film), I also really enjoyed Immortal Rain and Psy-Comm.

3. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    are these dealt with through shonen jump because they seem to bring the best manga. my opinion so far

4. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    Akira is Dark Horse Manga (they also published manga versions of The Ring and Old Boy), but the other two are TokyoPop.

5. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    yes i've heard tokyopop is good as well. thanks alot. do you read any of the above that i have or plan to?

6. barabel_humour

Nov 14, 2005
    From your list, I'd be more inclined to read Naruto than the others, though I've never actually seen the series, but at the moment I'm deliberating on whether or not to buy Deus Vitae, Psychic Academy or Sokora Refugees.

7. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Currently I read:

Naruto - I've read up through where they are in Japan. Highly enjoyable fluff.
    Bleach - Fluff with style. Quite possibly my favorite Shounen action title ever.
    Fullmetal Alchemist - 10x better than the anime. Better characters, better action, better homunculi. Better story.
    Death Note - Interesting story with interesting moral questions. Characters that you root for despite knowing you shouldn't. L rocks. I DEFY ANY WHO OPPOSE THAT DECREE!
    Genshiken - Otaku life seen through the eyes of a non-otaku dating one. Hilarious. The college otaku version of Azumanga Daioh.
    Planetes - If you are a sci-fi fan, you owe it to yourself to read and watch this series. It is some of the best science fiction out there to this date.
    Neon Genesis Evangelion - I've seen and love the series more than Star Wars. The manga, however, doesn't look to actually end in Japan anytime soon. So that means in the states it'll take even longer.
    Chrono Crusade - So far it has been better than the anime. The anime was Gonzo, though, so this isn't saying much. Still, the anime was a good showing from them and this is a great story.
    Eureka Seven - A good deal different from the anime. Not sure what to think of it. Though the series is in my top five favorite shows of all time.
    Eyeshield 21 - Great series so far. You don't really have to like football to enjoy this. The characters make this what it is.

I have read & Finished:

FLCL - Interesting.
    Hikaru no Go - I now own a Go set. Yep, that good. And the artist drew Death Note.
    Love Hina - Ah, harem manga. This is the gateway. Good.
    Ichigo 100% - But this is the ultimate, so far, in my mind. Great story, great relationship building, hilarious hijinks, and since it was a Shounen Jump title: Lots of fanservice.
    Azumanga Daioh - Hilarious. If you've gone through High School, it becomes even more enjoyable. The characters will feel like old friends by the time you graduate from the manga.

Just thought I'd give my opinion on what I've experienced (and can recall off the top of my head).

~*!~-~SHUT YOUR EVIL, EVIL PIE-HOLE~-~!*~

8. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I quite enjoy Rurouni Kenshin (still reading it in fact). It seems like the Manga is comprised of two story arcs - the first taking up from books 1 - 17 or 18 (I think). I haven't gotten to the second part of it yet, but I do think that's where the best stuff is (and I'm looking forward to reading it). :D

I'm only familiar with the anime version of Bleach. Just recently started watching it because it started to grow on me. As for Inuyasha, again, I'm only aware of the anime, to which I think is a good show, but I have no idea what the manga is like. Er, not sure that this helps any. :p

- Suz ^_~

9. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    wow, I have almos the exact same reading list except mine is slightly bigger (10 more titles I suppose) :p

10. DarthNiaedra

Jun 19, 2006
    actually bud you have helped. I have only watched bleach and inuyasha. i haven't read the manga. Bleach i plan to but i dunno about inuyasha. Bleach is tight though. i'm just so far into yu yu hakusho that i haven't got any volumes of bleach to begin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.