main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL CF Book Club - discussion thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Whack me over the head if you must, Scott, but you gotta admit: I got you there. :D

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  3. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    \\does Jig-O-Joy\\

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "The ability to insult a mod is insignificant next to the power of the ban button."

Or something. :p

Grrrr.

5. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Ok i have a question is 1pm the only time we could do this could we bump it up an hour earlyier. My best friend is having his eagle scout ceramoney at 3pm so getting to skokie from AH is gonna be cutting it close.

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    In all honesty...

People can't make it to events all the time because of the other pressures of life, and, IMO, it's not polite to change other people's schedules because of your own. :)

Come if you can, we'd like it, but if not... We'll see ya next time. :)

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Alright, when I went out tonight to get Dan's red ARC troopers, I decided I'd stop at B&N to pick up the Lando Man books (remember, Lando's not a trilogy, he's a man).

Anyways, So, I bought it for like $7. :) Pretty cool. I'll start reading it now so that I can be at the Book Club for sure! :)

P.S. Thom, were you working while I was there? I didn't see ya, but I wondered.

I was there just before 5PM tonight (Thursday).

8. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Sithman speaks with wisdom!

I really wish I could join you all...maybe next year. :)

9. avora_knightfall

avora_knightfall Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2003
    This is the B&N in Schamburg on Golf Rd., just down the road from the Woodfield Hyatt? I live in the city and don't drive out to the suburbs much so I need a little direction.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, that's the one. Beyond that, though, I can't really give you any more specific direction without probably screwing you up worse. :p

I'm sure someone else can help you, though. :)

Anyways, are you a newbie, or have you been going to the downtown book clubs and I just haven't seen you?

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Alright, off I go to start reading the Lando Man book.

This had better not suck. :p

12. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Avora....try MapQuest....it is pretty good for directions...I use it all the time and it is usually pretty accurate...

I wish I could go to this one...out of all of the Star Wars novels that I have read...and I have just about read them all....THIS was the only book that I just could not finish.....I just found it really bad....so it would be interesting to see the reactions of everyone else.....

13. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Yeah, but Gochi is the same person who thought that Shatterpoint was terrible. We know that we can't trust her.

Just messing with you Goch! You're still going to give me your 700 JMP's right?

14. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]No SW book could be as bad as Barbara Hambley's books...and I finished those (had to force myself, but I did it).[/color]

15. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I love Phyllis!!!!!!!

16. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes, this is down the road from the Woodfield Hyatt where WindyCon was held. I think it's about two miles further down; head west on Golf Rd (that's the street with the Hyatt, moving away from Rt. 53), past Meacham, past Toys'R'Us, past Plum Grove Rd. When you see Portillo's and House of Brides on your left, then take the next right; that is Basswood, there's a stoplight there. B&N is in a stand-alone building by the street; if you miss it, there is another entrance to the shopping plaza just past B&N and Fuddrucker's, and you can then circle back and pull into the bookstore lot. :)

Sithy - No, I wasn't working Thursday night, I was off seeing a Moody Blues concert. :D

HawkBat - Don't feel bad about missing a book club... heck, I may have schedule conflicts with this month, and I'm running the thing! (my nephew's 2nd birthday party is that Saturday, big family shindig, but I'm not sure what time... hopefully I'll be able to make it to the bookclub and then bug out while y'all go to Fuddrucker's)

17. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Not like Thom has ever been 2 hours late for his own book club :D

I missed 3 of them this summer (it was depressing). I only have to miss 2 next year due to the BRF date changes. We do not open until July next year. Just means you will all have to put up with me for a little longer ;)[/color]

18. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Thom Solo late for a Book Club meeting...
    [face_shocked]

...and it's not like I hated Shatterpoint...it was just mind numbingly (is that even a word?)slow for the first half....things picked up after Depa was located....maybe it was a let down because I loved "Traitor" so much.....

and...yes....you can still have my points Dan...I am actually going to bring them to the Black Sun Syndicate meeting...and I recounted.....maybe I flunked Math...there are only 575 points...but I am sincere about cutting some points off of my boxes if you get close to winning....

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    We're syndicated? [face_shocked]

20. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Actually, I don't think I've ever been two hours late.

One hour, yes. Hour and a half, yes. Missed it entirely, yes.

But never two hours late. ;)

21. avora_knightfall

avora_knightfall Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2003
    Barbara Hambley (I think that is how you spell it) sw books were aweful. I also had to force myself to read them. Hopefully she will not write anymore sw books.

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    As of now, I have finished the first of the three books.

And, I'm not going to stay up until 2 in the morning to read the other two. :p

23. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    I really want to read all three, but the last few weeks have been crazy busy for me. Grading papers sucks! Sometimes I wonder why I didn't want to be a math teacher instead. I'll definitely have one done, maybe even two if I get lucky with my time tomorrow morning.

I will have discussion questions on at least that first novel.

Oh, and Kevin . . .

you better show up and you better bring my two RED ARC Troopers or I will be forced to hunt you down myself.

24. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    Ooh - I forgot some stuff I wanted to say.

It's too bad we don't have access to a TV and VCR at B&N. I would love to watch all 10 chapters with my Chicago Force buddies. That would be sweet. Well, I guess we'll have to wait for the holiday party.

I also wanted to mention that Durge, CW Mace, CW Kenobi, and Asajj arrived in the mail today. I will bring them along in case anyone wants to check them out.

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Maybe, maybe not, Dan. Maybe I'll get in an accident with you on the way to the club, and then give you the clones while we're at the scene, just for the irony of it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.