main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CG, Multipass Rendering, and Compositing Test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by pahket, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Yes, the whole enchilada. It's a flyby of the Slave 1 similar to the one in AotC. I rendered out a pass of the ship with an alpha channel, one for the stars, the atmosphere, the planet itself, and finally the engine glow. I comped it in Commotion and used Light Wrap on the ship as it passed over the planet. This is why the file is so large; I wanted the quality to be good enough that you could at least see the stars. ;) Anyway, if you feel it's missing something, please let me know. Sorry about the bandwidth and file size.

Slave 1 Passby slave1flyby.mov 2.51MB

2. Jason_RJM

Jason_RJM Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    Very nice test.

I'm not sure if your looking for suggestions on the CG or the compositing but it seems that the camera pans just a little bit quicker than the ship does. However this is a very trivial detail.

I'd say its an excellent composite ;)

3. pahket

Apr 6, 2001
    Hmm, and I thought I was being artistic. ;) The idea was that the camera would follow the ship until it passed and then it would start centering on the planet (following the ship precisely throught the shot would've been boring). A little more artistic, I thought. But the camera target was on a spline path and for the life of me I couldn't get the path to line up exactly with the movement of the ship! Clearly it needs finessing. Thank you for your speedy input!

4. ---VADER---

---VADER--- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2002
    Wow, that really looks great. And I like the pan goign a little bit ahead of the ship. It adds a little realism to make the camera not perfectly locked on the Slave I. I think that it looks great. The stars almost disappear when the camera is panning, but I think that is partly due to motion blur as well as compression I guess. But otherwise it looks great.

---VADER---

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    It seems your host is down.

Can you send it to me at GHarbin@carolina.rr.com ?

6. pahket

Apr 6, 2001
    Vader, I agree with you about the stars. I even brought up the levels just so they wouldn't disappear during the pan, but I suppose all is not what it appears to be on an LCD flatscreen monitor. :(

And regarding the server: it seems that Tripod has started a no-remote-hosting regime, which means that it won't let me upload files simply for storage. I tried putting a link to the file from my main page and that worked for a little while, but not anymore. Feel free to PM or IM me if you'd like the file and I'd be happy to send it to you.

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I agree having the camera not completely track the ship looks a bit more natural and artistically better. If anything at the end you would want to have the camera track back to the right , as if after overshooting, the camera man goes back to recenter the ship.

As far as the stars it's actually a difficult problem. That's because the way CG works, filtering and motion blur will wipe them out. It's not as trivial as it seems.

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    aargh, please people don't use tripod! Go here and find a better server. There are several out there that are way better than tripod and geocities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.