CG Test - Opening Shot for my Fanfilm

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by crazylegs1138, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. crazylegs1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just completed a rough draft for my fanfilm ( doesn't have a name yet ). Anyway, I started o some of the cg shots for my film, and finished the first flybyshot. It is here . Any advice would be appreciated. There are a lot of stars, but they are lost in the compression.
  2. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
  3. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
    it works! Overall it looks good! :)
  4. crazylegs1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Blast you Tripod!! Just rightclick on the link, and copy shortcut, then paste it in the address bar. And thanks Lord_Homer :)
  5. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry, hehe. As soon as I'd posted, the link opened :p. Looks pretty good. MAX, I believe. Try to increase the blurring of the starfields some more and probably lower the brightness of the lightest star. Say to about 220 instead of 255. Also, increase dimming to about 50.

THe jets on the OTANA (Glad someone finally uses it) are a bit too square. If you check out X-Wing Alliance, you'll see that the node source for the ship's glow is mor of a rounded rectangle, and no so wide. My advice is, create a rounded rectangle and place it over the jets and make that be the glow source.

The glow itself also needs some work. Engine glows, at least on larger ships in the SW Universe, tend to be pure white in the center and the gradually shift to the exhaust's colour. Try using gradients instead of a flat colour. IF you're already using gradients, play around with it some more.

On a last note, Yavin IV could use an atmosphere. Sorry, but a textured sphere in space just does NOT look like a planet. Add another geoshpere round it, give it some colour using gradients and use a fallof material as an opacity map.

Its great so far though.

Carl

PS: XWA rules! :D

EDIT: Forgot a few things:

The ship needs to be motion blurred. Right-click the OTANA, choose properties, and turn on motion blur > image (1.0)

The platform needs some work, but you say that the whole things WIP, right?

Add some life to the ships path, in movies, freighters and medium-sized ships don't tend to fly just straight, they arc up or down slightly (especially if they're approaching a planet) or rotate very, very slightly on they're axis. It just makes the ship a little more interesting.

Just a tip to wrap it all up: Making the camera target the OTANA directly gives a weird felling to the whole thing. Create a helper object (Simple Cube one) and place it a bit to the back of the object and closer to the camera than the ship itself. That way, it won't seem that the camera is locked onto the ship, thus removing the "homemade CG feeling".

6. christmastom Jedi Knight

star 1
  7. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Looks really good. I don't really have any criticisms except the starfield appears to twinkle way too much. Everything else looks great.
  8. crazylegs1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for all the replies! The planet is from Scifi3d, and it didn't come with an enviroment map. I will work on it. Do you think I should add traffic? The space station is a Republic station, i'm thinking of adding frieters docking to the station. Anyway, thanks for all the help!!!
  9. Rikalonius Jedi Knight

star 3
    no workie for me, tried many times already, keep seeing tripod error
  10. t-toe Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, I'm having that same Tripod error. Any ideas? (And I've tried the "copy shortcut" trick.)

--t.toe
  11. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Drag shortcut. Usually works.

Carl
  12. crazylegs1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    It isn't working for me now either. I will try to fix it.
  13. Starbux Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good work, XWA rules!
  14. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    it wont work for me... and i've tried every trick out there
  15. crazylegs1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think the site might be down, as whenever i try do do any thing to my site, it won't load. I'll keep trying though.

EDIT: I tried uploading a file on a different account, but the page won't load. The server must be down.
  16. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    i think if you upload to tripod with a video they delete your account, atleast thats what happened to JMD and me
  17. Pixelito Jedi Master

star 4
    i've had several videos on my tripod account, and I've also been killing pop-up windows, and they haven't touched me yet :D
  18. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    how do you kill the pop up pixelito?
  19. Pixelito Jedi Master

star 4
    put this between <HTML> and <HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function open () {return true;}
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>
  20. crazylegs1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok, well i uploaded it to geocitites, and it is here . I really hate geocities, but had no other choice.
  21. mikearman Jedi Knight

star 1
    As soon as Geocities sees you've remote linked to your file, they are going to shut you down, too.
    Gotta read the "terms of service" with these free web hosting sights. You do it their way or not at all. (and their way usually isn't all that bad)
    --Mike

EDIT:
    The shot looks good, by the way. I like the planet.
  22. Pixelito Jedi Master

star 4
    it's nice, except the glows of the ship are not visible until you see the back of the ship, at which point they suddenly appear. i'd fix that if I were you.
  23. Mushiman Jedi Knight

star 3
    I still can see it - the site must have been closed :(
  24. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pixelito, when else would you see them? Its a default effect called OCCLUSION, you should know that. VERY few times do we see engine exhaust become visible before the craft passes the camera.

Carl
  25. Pixelito Jedi Master

star 4
    not exhaust.. i'm talking of light photons that would illuminate the surrounding material of the engines. halfway through the animation all of a sudden they appear in an instand. the light would illuminate surrounding dust particles, things like that, giving the engine glows a halo even when we cannot see them ourselves. while it may not happen naturally, it is a very common effect in space CGI... it makes us more comfortable with the unreality of it.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.