main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CGI: character animation?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ridley Solo, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Hello. One of my actors bugged out so I have to re-cast. In the event I can't find anyone within another week or two, how possible is it to have a completely CGI character? Is there anyone on here that can do a really good one? Or am I better off finding a real person or re-writing the script for one villain rather than two?

2. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    It's 100% possible. And there are people that can do really good ones. The part you aren't thinking about is the time/money it's going to cost. If you're lucky enough to get a volunteer, you're at the mercy of their schedule (if they ever decide to finish) and how shabby it will probably look because they aren't getting compensated.

If you're so concerned about time, it's going to take a LOT longer than 2 weeks to 1) create a 3D actor then 2) animate this 3D character.

In other words, find another actor. lol :p

Morale of the story is: just because you CAN do it in CG doesn't mean you should.

-Just the 2 cents from a real-life 3D Animator-

3. Psilaef_Zeias

Psilaef_Zeias Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2006
    Just as in the business, seems like the complexity of your project keeps building as you're plowing forward.:oops: Whatever the result, good for you.=D=

4. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    If you think finding another person would be too hard, I'd re-script before going the CGI character route. At the very least, if there must be two characters, re-script so that the CGI character has much less screentime. Especially if you can make it a flying/floating sort, they're usually easier on animation and compositing than trying to fit a humanoid droid into a shot.

5. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Without going into the scores of artists that are required for making full CG characters work well, when you look at the very beginning of the process and the fact that an actor is generally required or advised for driving the performance, then if you get that far, you've solved your original problem ;)

6. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    If you do down the CG road, try and have the character either a droid or someone who wears a helmet (assuming this is SW). ie. Someone whose face doesn't need to be animated and ADRed. It'll cut down on the amount of work.

7. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    That's OK; I found a way to work with one actor without going the CG route. Thanks for all the advice!