main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CGI Problems With Tattoine Sky in ANH

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediNdaCity, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I caught this one last night watching ANH, when Artoo is cruising up the path on the rocky terrain, the sky is almost totally red, meaning dusk is setting in, but when it cuts to a close up of Artoo, you can see in the corner of the frame that the sky is still blue. Also, the light shining down on Artoo is still very blue. Where is it coming from? When the SE came out, this was not really noticeable and on VHS, it's softened, so you don't notice it. But on DVD, and this is one of the things, as a filmaker I kinda dislike about DVD, it brings out every little spec of detail and enhances it ten times. So, now the blue light that shines on Artoo is VERY noticeable. They need to go back and color correct this in the next version because now it's just a distraction in the scene. For the O-OT lovers out there....

They probably should've just left the dang scene alone in the first place! :)

2. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    But on DVD, and this is one of the things, as a filmaker I kinda dislike about DVD

There's nothing wrong with that scene. I don't see any blue sky anywhere. Maybe you should go back to watching your old VHS copy?

3. sharkboy

sharkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    He is right you can see a tiny bit of the blue sky however its not a big deal.
    It would have been nice if this had of been fixed but I can live with it.

4. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    This complaint is similar to that of the matte-boxes I think. Lowry's cleanup work with the DVD's high-res transfer just shows us all, once again, that it's all just a movie kiddos ;)

5. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    jediNdaCity is right. The fuzzy grain of older films tend to blend better because the seems are blurred. Once on DVD, everything is exposed threw its digital clarity. So watching a DVD can seem like watching the shiney colorful toy version from its theatrical version. I saw AOTC at Pixar on a digital screen and when the airplane came into Courescents atmesphere you could see the color seperations like a rainbow. In a regular theatre the color transition is smooth and blends with a fade. This sharp digital picture exposes the seems. Take ROTJ DVD. The matte lines are showing where iv never seen them before. Most noticably is the DEATHSTAR over Endor. Its surrounded by an octogon cut-out in white. Its the crispness of the digital image that shines light on the pasting.

Eh, hem. Example. The Tattooine sky of this gif on my computer fades flawlessly from red to orange. But once processed and landing here, you can see each color seperation in the gradiant elements.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/neobaggins/destined.gif]

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I imagine the sky color is from differing scenes shot at diffrent times. Editing together diffrent takes is hardly unique to SW.

I can't imagine CGI being involved here.

7. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    They gave the sky a redish hue for the SE. The reason why one of the posters says at one point the sky is blue again is becauase it was done primarily for that large land and sky shot. The part where its still blue just went undone or probably took too much effort for such a small part.

8. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    They changed the color of the sky to chronicle the time better of when C3P0 & R2 got picked up. In the original version, the whole scene is daytime, so it seemed like the time it took to get to the Lars Homestead all happened in a matter of hours. In the SE, they arrived the following day.

9. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    Thats wierd. I always thought it took all day and night before the change. They landed in the day time, it appears to be getting dark when R2 is captured, it is night when they are borded, and they are at the Lars sted in the Morning. I thought the added hue was just fancy stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.