main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST CGI Work

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I am not sure if this really warrants its own thread but I was wondering how advanced the work on the CGI would be at this stage. I presume they would have started modelling some of the ships early in pre-production. Is this correct or do they leave all of this stuff until much later in post-production?

Also, once the script is finalised they could start doing some of the big effects scenes such as shots of planets and so on. How much work do you think has been done on this so far and do you think it is likely any preview images of new ship designs or other CGI work might be released to the public any time in the near future?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    CGI is so intertwined with live action these days that I don't really think they will single it out for display.

3. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    They've probably got concept art for every scene by now, and storyboards, and they've probably got rough CGI models like Andy Serkis' character and ship designs, so I suppose they could show us something soon but I doubt we'll get anything significant until comic con at least.

I know Doug Chiang is doing the concept art for this, and he did a phenomenal job in the prequels, so I think that stuff is in good hands.

4. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Lucasfilm developed real-time rendering software for Lucasarts' 1313. They will probably want to use it during the filming of Episode VII. I would imagine they'd want to put it to use somewhere since the game was scrapped. That means that any cgi characters they would use it for would already be designed and ready for rendering.

5. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Good find. I remember watching that a while back, but forgot about it.

6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think they said it would be a while before that technology is ready. I doubt it will be used on VII, but maybe VIII or IX. Anyway, I hope they've at least got some animatics.

7. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks for the responses, chaps. Yes, I was just wondering if they might show us something soon, even if it is just a CGI model for some ship in the background of a scene.

8. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    Most, if not all, animatics/storyboarding will have been completed by now so they would be available to those who have a need for them. Also, given the Real-Time Rendering software/Hardware is still a fledgling development, I would be surprised if it is largely used in production for E7. However, it will be used at points to determine it's suitability for testing it's realtime application.

All this said, given the largely successful "No Info" campaign ran by LFL, Disney, and JJ, I very much doubt we'll see anything until the release of Trailers

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really hope it's kept to a minimum...

I both love and hate cgi at the same time. Love it for things like the dinosaurs in JP...HATE it for stuff like cgi clone troopers in the prequels ugh!

10. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    CGI means computer generated Image.

just ma two cents.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I thought the clones in AOTC and ROTS were brilliant - they were quite dynamic. The stormtroopers in the OT were kind of stationary and didn't/couldn't move much - they mainly guarded doors or shot from doorways. So I hope they at least use both techniques in the ST.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

no one even knew the clones were cg until they were told. ugh!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Get out of here. You can't be serious...

Dewback likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

nope that's a fact. after the film came out is when they told people they never made a real clone suit. they still look better than most cg even today in my opinion.

people have grown up with the internet bad-mouthing the prequels and are brain-washed by it.

15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Correct - we spent days/weeks on these, and other boards, going through what was CGI etc. in terms of Clonetroopers. There's some obvious effect work, in terms of the clones, but MOST people didn't realise the extent of the CGI... because for the most part it was pretty much photorealistic.

Zer0 and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I'm one who doesn't mind the clonetroopers we got. In particular, I've heard a lot of people hate on the CGI clonetroopers with live-action heads, but every time I see the movies, my eye always just accepts them.

17. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    I heard they were going to build models and be a little retro in special effects to pay homage etc..then I listened to the Disney conference calls for shareholders (as part of my job these days,handling portfolios,Disney is part of a book I help manage)and I realize they really are rushing this movie,they are going for max return in the shortest amount of time.may lead to some happy accidents though.

Dewback and rdhight like this.
  18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm pretty sure the ST will contain both CGI Stormtroopers (or there're equivalent) and actors in Stormtrooper costumes. I think CGI will make up the lionshare of shots and the actors in costume for close up/inter-action work.

Dewback likes this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It's not a fact -it's your opinion.

And my OPINION (which I am entitled to) is that the Clone Troopers looked like ****!

Dewback likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

well your opinion is wrong. have a nice day.

21. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003

Really?

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is rapidly turning into a Basher/Gusher war, and is better discussed in the JJ Abrams thead anyway.

*click*

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.