main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bing, NY Ch 34 News at Oakdale Mall for Senators game promo

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Well that was fast!
    Less than an hour after I sent out the press release I received this email from NewsChannel 34!

Ian, I will PM to you the contact information for the woman from NewsChannel 34 so that you can get back to her with which evening might work best for you guys. If you would like any support from Garrison Excelsior, let me know. We have a Stormtrooper (member) and a Vader (recruit) down that way that might be able to come out.

~Doc_Bev

2. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    Great job Nicky. We are going to shoot for the 28th. That will give us a week and a half before the event. It would be great if the two members of the 501st can be there as well.

Also on the 1st of April we will hold our monthly meeting at B&N and this time we will be in costume. We can parade around the strip mall and hand out leaflets promoting the event.

3. Renny

Renny Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2007
    Somebody slap me.....for not coming around .....lol. Sorry folks just been busy with life things and had to put this on the back burner...I am so sorry.

anywho...I have been on cloud nine since you called me last night Ian....can't stop smiling. I am so excited. I tried to talk my son into dressing as a jedi and coming with us..he told me I was crazy...lol. But I will work on him more...mmuuuwwhahahaaa.

I think that it's going to be a good thing for the local chapter--could help bring in members. I will be speaking with some folks at Security Mutual-as my company does promotional work with the Senators too....maybe Barb and I can work something out and even get some more events...oooo maybe the company picnic or something..lol. I hope the 28th works for Bob and Charles....its the only day I don't have class....lol

4. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    The Darth Vader (Excelsior recruit) that lives down in Binghamton is going to be able to come out for the TV stint.

Also, one our other members may be able to come out, but he's not sure that he fits into his Stormtrooper anymore. He said that the news broadcast at the Oakdale Mall is done right in the little foyer inside the mall in front of JC Penney's. He also talked to someone at the mall office and they said that there might be a place to change/store stuff if you get there early enough (not sure how early "early enough" is though).

~Doc_Bev

5. TreborGahKor

TreborGahKor Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Hey Doc Bev,
    I really want to thank you for taking the time to organize this stuff for us. I think it's the shot in the arm we all need. This is so awesome and I'm so pumped about the whole idea!! Thanks again!!

6. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    I spoke with Liza from the channel 34. We will have to be there by 5pm to talk about when we will be going on. I told her that there will be at least 3 in costume. Myself as a mando, Bob as jedi and Karen as leia. I didn't know at the time if the other gentleman would be attending. Liza will be calling me tomorrow to confirm everything.

Bob. As I am going to be in full get up do you want to do the interview?

I agree with Bob. thanks Doc_Bev for doing a great job.

7. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    You're welcome! :D
    But, truly it's not a problem guys. I really enjoy the event planning process and am happy to have been able to get this event arranged before the end of the Senators season.

When I sent out the press release I said we'd be collecting money for the ALS Association of Upstate NY (www.alsaupstateny.org). I just noticed when re-reading this thread that Ian had said ALS Foundation. So I really hope they're the same thing. [face_worried] I wasn't familiar with the ALS Foundation, but when I google'd it the ALS Association was the first thing that came up and I didn't even notice the name difference until now.

In either case, I would recommend bringing a hard copy of the press release with you to give to the reporter. Even though I emailed one to them already - just assume they don't have it. ;)

Also, I recommend rehearsing (or even jot down on cue cards) what key points you want to get across in your limited air time. For example:
    * Binghamton Senators vs Albany River Rats Friday April 6th game - SW Theme Night
    Game starts at 7:05, characters will be in concourse at 6pm.
    * Binghamton's Star Wars FanForce chapter and other Star Wars groups will be appearing in costume with characters like: Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, Jedi Knights, Stormtroopers and more.
    * We'll be raising money for the ALS Association through donations and the sale of Star Wars posters and buttons.
    * Bring your camera for photos or photo service will be available for those without cameras
    * free goodies for kids who stop by our table

Common questions they'll ask (so you can have answers mentally prepared):
    Do you guys make your own costumes?
    How much do they cost?
    Where can folks go online to find out more about your club?
    I would recommend keeping it something simple like theforce.net or 501st.com as anything longer and people aren't going to remember it anyways.
    How many events do you guys do like this?
    My standard answer is 40 events a year as that's about how many I've organized in upstate NY for the past couple years. So you can use that answer for Upstate NY or tailor it to Bingo FF specifically.

Sometimes you have to "dumb" things down for the general public. For example, they're not going to know/care that there are 3 different clubs providing the SW characters. If we can just get the word out that there will be SW characters there then we can "educate" them about the different clubs when they come visit our table. ;)

~Doc_Bev

8. TreborGahKor

Nov 14, 2005
    Ian,
    Not a problem! I'll give the interview, I would be more than willing. Thanks for the advice Doc Bev as it will help me focus my conversation with the reporter. I'll put together some 3X5 cards tommorow at work to have them ready. Also, Ian, I have 200 of our pamphlets ready and folded to hand out at the BSens game on yellow, green, red, and blue paper. I tried calling you tonight, but I'm going to try and put together some small leaflets we can hand out at the mall on Wednesday and at B&N on Sunday. I think this is going to come together real nicely :)

9. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    OK we are all set for tonight. I spoke with Liza and told her who will be there. We need to meet up outside Rubie Tuesdays. I will be there at about 4.45. Bob I might need your help to get ready. the show goes live from outside JC Penny's. We will get a time of when we will be featured when we talk to them at 5pm.

Should be fun. And I get to wear my new jetpack...

KJ

10. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I hope this went well!

I didn't think to ask one of you guys to tape it for us. :(

~Doc_Bev

11. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    It went very well. There were 5 of us for it and the people loved us. Good job everyone.

We will be following this up on Sunday with a leaflet drop at the stretch mall where walmart and B&N is. Full costume.

12. TreborGahKor

Nov 14, 2005
    I feel it went very well DocBev!!! We all had lots of fun too, I believe. My wife taped the interview and I will be "digitizing" it sometime today or tonight and hope to get it on the net. I'll put a link on, once it's up.

13. JagVader

JagVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2007
    I have it taped. I can pass it along at one of the sunday get togethers at Barns and Noble. Oh yea by the way I was your event Vader. Nice Job All Cyas at the sens game..

14. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Welcome to the FanForce boards JagVader!

~Doc_Bev

15. JagVader

Mar 29, 2007
    Thanks Doc,

16. TreborGahKor

Nov 14, 2005
    Okay, I've got the two "bumps" up on YouTube. You can find those bumps here and here. But if you don't care about the bumps and want just the interview, then check it out here. It took me all night, but it's done!! Yeah!!!

17. JagVader

Mar 29, 2007
    Awsome!!!!

18. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Jagvader...great meeting you the other night and welcome to the boards. If you are doing nothing on sunday we could use your help at B&N

The camera made me look fat...LOL

19. TreborGahKor

Nov 14, 2005
    Yeah, I think the camera added 50 lbs. to me. Maybe we'll have to invest in a "Bingo FanForce Diet Plan" which would include Bantha Pudding and Lean Jawa Meat!! LOL

20. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Thanks so much for getting that online Bob!
    It looked awesome!
    Just a week to go guys!!

~Doc_Bev

21. TreborGahKor

Nov 14, 2005
    Okay, now I have online my photos from the night. I have to rotoscope several of them, but the raw images can be seen here. Check it out!!

22. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Great job Guys! I can't wait till next friday,

23. JagVader

Mar 29, 2007
    I know what you mean About the camera adding 50lbs. God,,, I looked huge even in the slimming black ensemble...LOL[face_laugh]
    I'll try for Sunday but have soooo much to do with the family... Was it 2:00? Robert, I've got some more pics if you would like them. Ah Heck I'll send them to ya anyways.

24. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    We will be meeting at 12;00 but, no flyers. They will not allow us to habd them out in the whole plaza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.